Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #21
zucky22389

Bump?
zucky22389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Based on the bands you listed, I very strongly recommend a Mesa Dual Rectifier. If you shop around, you can find used, older 2 channel Dual Rectifiers for $800, which will do the job perfectly.

If you want to stay far under budget, I have been able to get a very good alt metal tone out of my JSX. You won't nail that kind of stuff like you'll be able to with a Rec, but it still sounded pretty good.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #23
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

Im gonna back blktiger up and say the egnater vengeance.. use in your price range.. it can dumb down to 60 watts. but is 120 on full when your ready.

its gonna destroy the 6505 and 5150 in the "br00t4lz"
THE CLEANS are un parralelled for the priuce range and most high gain amps period.

versatility is HUUGGEE you can get the heavy stuff as i said but other "radio metal" type stuff is no problem. tremonti.. dial it in on mine alot

reliable. and good to look at.

its beggining to take the place of my 5153 witch was 1700... and i paid 400 for my vengeance used... that should say something.
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
ikey_

baaron snott watt. but its going to start lacking on cleans at higher volumes due to low wattage
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

vengeance isn't bad. for $600-$750 used (ebay and used.gc), but if you want the rec, get the rec, the vengeance wont get it.

but they are cheap and sound pretty good. i think the JSX would be fine too, but again, wait for the rec if you want rec sound.

odds are if you buy what you don't want, often you will sell it for what you want, until you get what you want. all of which could be solved by being patient. getting what you want first will save you some money as well.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Hell I'll sell you my Dual Rec for 850 shipped, assuming you are in the states. It is definitely great for what you are trying to do, It has the huge Tremonti sound to it, obviously not identical since Mark has hella rig, but it gets a big part of it down.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
Bladed-Vaults

keep in mind.tremonti does use the rec. thats true.. but he has a TS in front of it.. I think i saw somewhere where he said he uses that 808HW ibanez put out.300 bones on its own

dual recs are kind of flubby in the bass area. and he always cranks his bass to max on his amps. hence needing to tighten it up with a TS type pedal.

Im not against mesa amps in any way. but there are cheaper ways to dial in a tremonti sound than to use the same gear he does.

edit.... he had a klon on stage in alterbridge gear vid :/

Last edited by Bladed-Vaults : 01-25-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Very true, I kind of assumed TS knew this, but it is important. I use a hardwire OD, I think most any tube screamer would work though. The Rec definitely needs some tightening

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
Offworld92
One among the fence.

TS808HW is a total load of marketing BS. Any TS over $100 is (and I only say that high, because that's how much the Hardwire CM-2 is). It's like one of the most simple circuits out there, and the cheap $25 TS7? Same exact chip. Almost identical components, and the ones that are different make **** all difference.

Yet people continue to pay $100+ for tubescreamers... That's effective marketing right there.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
Bladed-Vaults

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
TS808HW is a total load of marketing BS. Any TS over $100 is (and I only say that high, because that's how much the Hardwire CM-2 is). It's like one of the most simple circuits out there, and the cheap $25 TS7? Same exact chip. Almost identical components, and the ones that are different make **** all difference.

Yet people continue to pay $100+ for tubescreamers... That's effective marketing right there.

all I said was thats whats he uses.. never argued weather it was a wise choice for a ts pedal lol.

and there is one ts type pedal worth it. 265.. dead horse overdrive. more clipping options. fat and tight controls.

until you put one in your rig and compare it most wouldnt understand..

also said he had a klon on stage for alter bridge.. most in home guitarists cant afford 800-1k for a pedal lol. all i wanted to point out was that if this chap wants to get a dual rec. he is gonna need to tighten it up especially if he is going to have the bass at 10 as per tremonti specs.

edit.. so why buy a dual rec when some the other mentioned amps *cough* vengeance *cough* 5153mini will be more versatile for less or the same.

Last edited by Bladed-Vaults : 01-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #31
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Haha, that wasn't directed at you, just directed out in the open.

And I'm not saying there's no OD worth the price over $100. That'd be silly and incorrect. I'm talking very specifically about straight up tubescreamer circuits. In a nutshell, the TS808. Very overpriced pedal.

If your OD actually does other stuff, then yeah it should probably cost more.

I've never heard of that pedal before - does it have asymetrical clipping? That's what I love about my SD-1, and barely any ODs have it.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
Bladed-Vaults

pm'd you a demo offworld

I suppose we have been hard on the OP though. I think many here are just recoomending on your taste for Tremonti..
you did say you would love a monster gain amp.
again the dual rec fits that catagory. but are lose for technical stuff unless accompanied by proper gear.
the 5153mini is just as much of a monster as its big brother. and bands like as i lay dying and revocation. use them. while the cleans are still bright and extremely usable.

egnater vengeance is much the same as above. but the bottom end is much much more pronounced (as well as controlable) so when you do want tremonti tones you can dial them in alot faster. (note this is one of few heads listed in this thread with reverb)

the jim root #4 head is much the same.. although when i had one i always had the OD on much like a rec. cleans here are... well they have a bit to ask of.

6505+ is a workhorse and a gem in its price but again.. cleans.. forget it.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #33
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If the TS wants the Dual Rec sound, he won't get that from teh Vengeance. However, since Tremonti uses quite a rig, his tone is more than just that. I personally hate the rectifier sound for my uses. I would never buy one. Just that certain, signature "voicing" (for lack of better word) that it has is basically the opposite of anything I ever want in a guitar amp, so I can promise you won't get that out of the Vengeance. If that's the sound you want, then only a Rec will give it to you.

However, as far as high-gain monsters go, the Vengnance is awesome. You can still get a damn-near Tremonti tone, as Bladed-Vaults said. Just as close as any other amp by itself.

Just a thought, but you could try playing the Bogner Pedal of the uberschall through a Dual Rec. I mean, it very well might sound damn near perfect to his tone.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #34
zucky22389

Again, thanks for the responses! I love this damn forum!

@ Bladed-Vaults- Interestingly enough, I was checking out Egnaters yesterday, especially the Tweaker 40H... Now with my terrible living location, it's quite tough for me to go out and test drive one of these so as a consolation I'm checking out tons of video reviews (which I'm aware will not do amps justice "lost in translation") I'm impressed by the versatility of these Egnaters, but I feel as if the gain channel leaves something to be desired. I have not checked out the Vengeance yet. I will do that! Thanks for the recommendation. I believe someone prior recommended it as well.. So thanks to him, too!

@ dementiacaptain- That is incredibly tempting and I'm drooling over the offer... However with recent car problems and a hefty bill incoming, I probably won't be able to afford it until late next month/March. If you still have it at that time, you may have yourself a deal =D

I did NOT know Tremonti used an 800 dollar pedal to tighten up his Rec! Keep in mind, I consider myself a gear amateur, in the past i've merely waded ankle deep in the solid state waters.. Now i'm diving into the all-tube deep end. I have a ton to learn.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
zucky22389

And btw. You said you got a Vengeance used for 400 bones? That sounds like a helluva deal! Nice pickup.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucky22389
Again, thanks for the responses! I love this damn forum!

@ Bladed-Vaults- Interestingly enough, I was checking out Egnaters yesterday, especially the Tweaker 40H... Now with my terrible living location, it's quite tough for me to go out and test drive one of these so as a consolation I'm checking out tons of video reviews (which I'm aware will not do amps justice "lost in translation") I'm impressed by the versatility of these Egnaters, but I feel as if the gain channel leaves something to be desired. I have not checked out the Vengeance yet. I will do that! Thanks for the recommendation. I believe someone prior recommended it as well.. So thanks to him, too!

@ dementiacaptain- That is incredibly tempting and I'm drooling over the offer... However with recent car problems and a hefty bill incoming, I probably won't be able to afford it until late next month/March. If you still have it at that time, you may have yourself a deal =D

Yeah man, definitely. Even if not, you can get them for that price if you look around hard enough

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #37
T7E
All smiles :)

The vengance would get really close to the Tremonti tone no worries, and it has the added versatility for when you want to update and tweak your own tone. You will be able to do so more effectively on the Veng than a Dual Rec I think. A dual rec is always gonna sound dual reccy to some degree at least.

In my sub-standard experience, of course. Grains of salt needed
Anarchy Audio Analog Phaser
Toyroom Effects Woolly Bully
Neunaber Stereo WET
Chasebliss Audio Warped Vinyl
Diamond Compressor
Strymon EL Capistan
Smallsound/Bigsound Mini
Barwatt Rocket 30w
T7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #38
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

my vengeance sounds pretty beast. the thing roars on the dirty channel and is has the best clean channel sound ive ever heard from a "metal" amp
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #39
zucky22389

@dementiacaptain

I sent you a PM last night about your Dual Rec. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #40
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Hey man, I'm sorry I actually sold it last week. I got a killer offer on it I had to take

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded

Rate This Thread: