Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
zucky22389

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Hey man, I'm sorry I actually sold it last week. I got a killer offer on it I had to take

That's ok do what ya gotta do!
zucky22389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #42
zucky22389

*Update*

To anyone who might be in the same boat as me and looking for an amp... Here is my update:

I actually chose an amp that no one in this thread even listed... The Carvin V3M. I took a step back and asked myself "What am I going to use this amp for?" and realized I hardly needed a 100+ watt amp head for mostly bedroom practice/ nonchalant jamming with buddies. I've had the Carvin 3 days and here are my reactions so far.... Clean channel is quite good... seriously. You can dial anything from country twang to slightly broken up rock with the gain and volume pushed on the 7 watt mode. 22 and 50 watt modes sound even BETTER imo. I was seriously impressed with the clean channel's versatility.. and even with all the different shaping options like the EQX switch, it was really difficult to find a bad tone.

NOW FOR THE GAIN CHANNEL(S): After hours and hours of tweaking, playing, tweaking, playing, over and over again,I found that something is missing here....This amp has plenty of gain, don't get me wrong.. It probably has more gain than you'll ever need. However, it's a different type of gain than what I'm looking for. To my ears, there's not really a modern metal tone available on the Carvin that I enjoyed. When I choked my pick, and plucked some meaty palm muted powerchords... some type of "OOMPH" was missing. I was left unsatisfied. I have 6 more days to twiddle some knobs and I really do hope to find a good tone because this is one super versatile, well-built amp at a great price... But if I don't find it, I'm afraid my silver and black V3 will have to be shipped back to the Carvin factory...

Now I took a gamble on Carvin.. it was impossible to play the V3 without ordering it first. I feel like I'm back at square one. The insane used prices of Mesa Boogie's have that path looking grim... so now I'm looking at Egnater's Vengeance and EVH 5150 III (50w). Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #43
zucky22389

I'd like to point out that I really think highly of the Carvin V3! If you're a player who wants a versatile "lunchbox" amp and doesn't care if his/her amp can do bone crunching modern gain, then this is really the amp for you. Hell, maybe you'll even like the gain. I believe my Orange 212 close back cab doesn't mesh well with the V3m... It's a bit too dark sounding and I'm a guy who loves a dark sound. Perhaps the V3 would sound better with a different cab/speaker combo. Anyways if anyone has any questions about the V3M i'd be happy to tell share how I feel about it. I have it for a couple of days so let me know! Otherwise keep shooting high gain amp options at me! Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #44
dlowe102

what are your thoughts of a dt25
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #45
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Jet City
5150 iii yeah
I mean, everything has really already been mentioned.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #46
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

I have heard a few people say something is missing on the V3. Thats a bummer though. Just to throw it out there, I love my JCM2000 DSL100. Solid amps. Not the new DSL100H I dont like it anywhere near as much.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #47
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Why should we keep giving you advice if you're not going to listen?

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #48
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucky22389
....so now I'm looking at Egnater's Vengeance and EVH 5150 III (50w). Any thoughts?

EVH was suggested on pg 1. As were some Mesas. My Dual Rec Tremoverb cost about the same price used from a local GC as the EVH new. And I also have a 5150 III 50W on order. Hopefully shipping this week. EVH was 850 (no tax, free shipping) after asking nicely for a discount. Maybe if you're nicer they (MF in my case) will do 800.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 02-26-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #49
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I'm sorry my man, but you have been suggested everything under the sun. You are going to have to mull it over on your own. I had a full size V3, and I never was completely satisfied with it either, so I know the feeling you are getting.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #50
zucky22389

Alright- Since it's been a couple weeks since this thread was active I had forgotten all the awesome suggestions you guys gave me. Sorry I shouldn't have asked for any more help. I got this!

@cdr_salamander- The reason I bought a V3m is this: Everyone here was trying to talk me into a Dual Rec. Instead of using a 100W head for bedroom practice, I started seriously looking into the Mini Rec. I read an amazing in-depth review of a Mini Rec vs. the V3m. The V3m could do pretty much anything the mini rec could do (with better cleans, imo). I ordered V3m. Played the shit out of it and was unsatisfied. So it's not like I wasn't listening to you guys- I listened and then went a little bit further...

The real purpose of my post was to write a little about the V3m in case any readers out there were looking for an amp and wanted to know a bit about it.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #51
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

I found the V3M to be very nasaly. I wasnt satisfied either. Another reason i went to Stiff Amps. Its night and day difference than a mesa clean or carvin for sure. It just has more life.

Hope you find tone happiness!!!!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #52
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Alright- Since it's been a couple weeks since this thread was active I had forgotten all the awesome suggestions you guys gave me. Sorry I shouldn't have asked for any more help. I got this!

@cdr_salamander- The reason I bought a V3m is this: Everyone here was trying to talk me into a Dual Rec. Instead of using a 100W head for bedroom practice, I started seriously looking into the Mini Rec. I read an amazing in-depth review of a Mini Rec vs. the V3m. The V3m could do pretty much anything the mini rec could do (with better cleans, imo). I ordered V3m. Played the shit out of it and was unsatisfied. So it's not like I wasn't listening to you guys- I listened and then went a little bit further...

The real purpose of my post was to write a little about the V3m in case any readers out there were looking for an amp and wanted to know a bit about it.

Cool, man. Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day it's YOU spending your money so you gotta do what you think is best.

Mini-Rec is cool, but at that price point I'd take the EVH mini instead (I actually have one on order), though there's a difference between the two tones and that, of course, must be factored into any equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburritt1
I found the V3M to be very nasaly. I wasnt satisfied either. Another reason i went to Stiff Amps.

Those do sound pretty good in YT demos.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 02-26-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #53
zucky22389

Uh oh... MF/GC is having a 15% off sale and zzounds does price matching with payment options... I knew Zzounds would get me into trouble someday.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #54
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Uh oh... MF/GC is having a 15% off sale and zzounds does price matching with payment options... I knew Zzounds would get me into trouble someday.

Well buy something and let us know!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #55
deadsmileyface
in luv with an apparition

Green

Another cliche "WHICH AMP!?!?" thread- Very derailed, though!

deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #56
zucky22389

Please, go on!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #57
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Please, go on!

with what? you have heard pretty much EVERY amp in your range, and

crnlsanders

Quote:
Why should we keep giving you advice if you're not going to listen?

do one of three. starting with the easy.
1. go trough this thread again
2. go play some amps and check out youtube demos if they don't have anything similar
3. i...buy something
ii.. don't waste our time recycling through this whole thread over and over.

in this thread there is everything. you may not like what you get. if you get it at a good price you will probably not lose more than 10 percent. (used)

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #58
zucky22389

Whoa whoa whoa... I've done all of those things... Keep in mind that I am quite new to the tube scene and I'm interested in everybody's opinion. After over a month of hard research there are a few amps that I'm interested in that no one had even mentioned, like the Orange Rockerverb 50, H&K 18, and Stiff amps. I don't feel the need to defend myself for asking for opinions, because i already touched on that in a previous comment. This thread has been HUGELY influential and was the sole reason I was seriously interested in a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec and ended up with my V3M.

That being said, on March 15th, my brand new EVH 5150 iii head in ivory white will be shipped to my house. I ordered it this evening. For 800 bucks. **** yeah.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #59
Deadpool_25

Quote:
That being said, on March 15th, my brand new EVH 5150 iii head in ivory white will be shipped to my house. I ordered it this evening. For 800 bucks. **** yeah.

Nice! Saved $50 more than I did! Maybe I should call MF back and get them to knock another $50 off!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #60
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Nice man. Many tones will be had. Make sure you do a NAD!

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: