Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #81
Deadpool_25

Nice, Zucky! I was going to be jelly, but I called zzounds and they price matched the one from MF (beat it by a tiny bit actually), so I ordered that one and cancelled the order from MF. So it should ship out next week. Can't wait. I'm glad to hear you're liking yours already, Zucky. That seems to be the going sentiment: hard to find a bad tone in it.

It only has a small "F" logo. Also, I read that the amps and cabs have logos that are made so that they are easily removed if you want. I didn't remove the ones on my cab, as I don't feel the need right now, but it's cool that it's made that way.

Oh and yeah, the MF deal was surprising. I did have to return a JVM combo to them a while ago though...it had a blown speaker. Holy crap I've gone through some gear in the last year!!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 03-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #82
zucky22389

Zzounds, like I said in an earlier post, has been great! I received the amp only 2 days after it had shipped. And the customer service guy was friendly, helpful, and hilarious. I hope to keep this amp for a long, long time. I'll always want to compare it A/B to a dual rec... but that will have to wait =D.

NEXT UP, PEDALS! Only pedal I've acquired in my 4-5 years of playing is a Dunlop original Wah... Some pedals I'll be turning my attention to are:

- a Delay
- Chorus
- a noise gate/compressor
- Maxon OD?? - People say these things are the best, ever! I don't think this amp needs a whole lot of tightening or punch, though!

I'm not Morello or Einzinger. I don't use a lot of effects, but I'll be doing some research into these sorts of pedals in the next few weeks to spice up this amp a bit!
zucky22389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #83
Deadpool_25

What about reverb?

Delay - tons of good choices. Carbon copy, Flashback, DD-3, etc.
Chorus - Corona
Gate - Decimator or NS-2
OD - I hear Maxon is great, TS-9 probably just as good

I've been looking at maybe an EP Boost, but I'll probably just use my M13 for a while to keep it simple. Look at Duplantier's rig from Gojira. 5153, tuner, gate. I think that's it.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #84
zucky22389

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool_25
What about reverb?

Delay - tons of good choices. Carbon copy, Flashback, DD-3, etc.
Chorus - Corona
Gate - Decimator or NS-2
OD - I hear Maxon is great, TS-9 probably just as good

I've been looking at maybe an EP Boost, but I'll probably just use my M13 for a while to keep it simple. Look at Duplantier's rig from Gojira. 5153, tuner, gate. I think that's it.

Yeah! Reverb as well. These are all things I'll slowly pick up in the next months... hopefully find some good deals. Right away I'll grab a tuner (Boss TU or Korg Pitchblack maybe?) a delay and run that with my wah (probably not even through the loop) and then slowly acquire the others.

Not sure about the pedals you mentioned- the EP or M13. I have much to learn about pedals, just like I did about tube amps. I'll troll around the gear forums here before I ask too many questions. Thanks for all your help guys! I'm going out to the country to jam with a buddy tomorrow. I'm going to crank this thing!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #85
Deadpool_25

Pitchblack is good, so is the Boss, so is the Polytune.

You are using the dirt on your amp. You WILL try the delay in the loop. That's an order! Seriously though, to most people, delay before heavy distortion doesn't sound good at all. It's night and day. There's a reason the Vypyrs have flangers and stuff available pre and post, but delay and reverb are only post.

EP Booster is a simple clean boost pedal that is based on the boost people used to get using the oldskool Echoplex tape delays. The EP Boost is very small and just a badass clean boost. But I'll wait on that for a while.

The M13 is a Line 6 unit that doesn't have any amp/cab modeling. It is just stompboxes and can have up to 4 going at one time. It models a crapton of pedals and does a damn good job of them too. People rag on the distortions but those are actually quite good. The delays and reverbs and most of the modulations are outstanding. For $500 ($300ish used), it's kinda hard to beat IMO. It's also super simple and easy to use right out of the box, unlike the POD HD pedals.

Anyway, congrats on your new amp! Have fun jamming out on it! Can't wait for mine!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #86
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucky22389
Zzounds, like I said in an earlier post, has been great! I received the amp only 2 days after it had shipped. And the customer service guy was friendly, helpful, and hilarious. I hope to keep this amp for a long, long time. I'll always want to compare it A/B to a dual rec... but that will have to wait =D.

NEXT UP, PEDALS! Only pedal I've acquired in my 4-5 years of playing is a Dunlop original Wah... Some pedals I'll be turning my attention to are:

- a Delay
- Chorus
- a noise gate/compressor
- Maxon OD?? - People say these things are the best, ever! I don't think this amp needs a whole lot of tightening or punch, though!

I'm not Morello or Einzinger. I don't use a lot of effects, but I'll be doing some research into these sorts of pedals in the next few weeks to spice up this amp a bit!

- a Delay - i would go for a malekko 616 for analog and probably TC something rather for digital. they have lots of options.
- Chorus - (budget?) they go tp $200 fast
- a noise gate/compressor: isp decimator
- Maxon OD?? - overpriced. people tend to like the Bad Monkey ($35?) or a TS9 would do. all of them are extremely similar.
*i owned the bad monkey and i wasn't a huge fan, but a lot of people seem to love them.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #87
zucky22389

hmm I'm having alot of trouble uploading a picture! No matter how I resize, it says "file is too large". Maybe i'll figure it out tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #88
Deadpool_25

Upload it to photobucket or tinypic.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #89
zucky22389

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums...zpsd44ad506.jpg

^^ There. Had to make a photobucket account- hope it works!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #90
zucky22389

I would like to add that the 5150 iii (esp channel 3) is voiced slightly brigher than say, the Carvin V3 I once had. And in my opinion it matches up beautifully with my orange closed back cab. They compliment each other nicely. I still want to get my hands on an EVH 112 or 212 cab though...

Also the day after I received the amp, I "found" this nifty little knob called the resonance knob.... one twist of this thing and this amp turned from beastly into a complete monster! Channel 3 is just pure fun!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #91
Deadpool_25

Pic worked! Sexy! I took the day off because my '53 is "on vehicle for delivery."

MF hasn't shipped my 2nd 1x12 yet so I'll have to slum it with just the single 1x12 for now

Are you using a delay or reverb with it yet?
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #92
zucky22389

Nope I haven't acquired any pedals as of yet. Those should come in the near future after I do a little bit more research. 12 hour work days mean I don't get to enjoy the EVH near as much as I should! I stayed in Friday night to bond with it =D.

Hope you received the amp today. Take a pic and link it on here if you'd like! And I'd like to talk tones with you after you get it! There's a little volume jump from 1 to 2.... but it's not as bad if you use the gain to increase the volume of ch. 1. I haven't tried this at high volumes yet, though. I'm having a hard time finding stuff to play on Channel 2! Channel 3 is just so good, I find a new setting I like almost everyday!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #93
TDWP33

If your going in a marshal or Mesa type direction you have to try an orange head, tiny terror is a monster, dark terror, but the dual terror can git you any where. Please do try an orange before you decide.
TDWP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #94
zucky22389

@TDWP33- I ended up with a 50watt 5150 III. Check out the pic I posted with my cab. Quite happy with it so far, although I went to a "local" (hour away) shop and they had a Mesa mark IV combo one guy was playing through and it sounded amazing! For the price, the EVH is really delivering for me. Gear Acquisition Syndrom has begun....
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #95
Deadpool_25

I got it a few days ago. It pwns. The 2nd cab should ship out tomorrow.

The volume jump between channels is significant IMO. The simple solution is an EQ last in the loop.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #96
zucky22389

Have you tried switching between 1&2 at high volumes? The jump seems less the more volume you add. Channel 2 is sick and cleans up so nicely! Have you tried to dial in a blues tone that you like? Or some sort of Hendrixian rhythm sound? Those are two I'm working on. Cheers
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #97
Deadpool_25

I haven't tried it at high volumes. I was wondering if the gap would close as you turn the volume up. Yeah, channel 2 is awesome, but so is channel 3. And 1. LOL. I've been getting the "rig" all connected and messing with some settings on the M13.

I set the channels where they sound good to me, gain on 1&2 is a hair less than 9:00. Tones there are right around noon. Channel 3's gain is about 10:00. Low and High are 1:00, mid is 11:00. Resonance is max and presence is 9:00. All that is subject to change as I mess with the amp over time, but those setting sound really good to me right now.

Now as far as dialing in tones, I've been messing with the M13 some tonight and the Screamer model is already a staple. It works just like you'd expect a Screamer to with drive at 0 and output at max. Tightens up everything nicely. Some reverb and the Screamer and I had a nice Texas blues tone going on ch 2. I suppose I could do the same on ch 1 with a couple Screamers, one with a little drive (gotta love M13 flexibility!).

When you say Hendrix rhythm sound, are you talking that clean kinda Little Wing tone? I haven't tried to dial anything in like that yet, but it's next on my list of priorities. He basically used a dimed JTM45/100 so I think I can get there with the clean channel with a little compression (to emulate the natural compression from a dimed amp).

Unfortunately, I won't be able to mess with it much again until Monday.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #98
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucky22389
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums...zpsd44ad506.jpg

^^ There. Had to make a photobucket account- hope it works!

Use the IMG code for UG.

Looks pretty sweet!
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #99
zucky22389

Holy giant picture, batman! Thanks for that, R45 and thanks for the compliment. Every time I simply play an Emaj chord on channel 2, I just smile because of how full and even it sounds. I am beyond happy with my step into the tube world.

Yeah I'm talking about a sort of Hendrixian rhythm sound ala Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, etc. Again, I don't have any pedals yet, sans Wah. So I'm just a little limited, though I'm sure this amp could pull something good off no pedals to speak of. So you dig the tube screamer, eh? Was at GC over the weekend returning a few things and seriously thought about picking one up.... I am kindof a frugal man, however, and like to do my research on products before purchasing anything.

Our tones, especially on Channel 3, sound pretty similar. I use a little less resonance, but dial in a bit more low (about 2 o'clock), more mids (about noon, or I scoop them for modern metalcore fiddling) and high at 1 o'clock) I don't like to dial in much presence on Ch. 3 as I usually keep them around 9 o'clock max, maybe a little less. I like a lot of low end, speaking of which, if the tube screamer tightens the sound up as much as you say it does, I see myself picking one up sooner rather than later. Enjoy man! Thanks for your replies =D
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #100
Deadpool_25

Grab a used M13, bro. You will not be sorry.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Rate This Thread: