Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne

Best first jobs?

Has anyone ever had a really good entry level job that they liked, at least more than other starter jobs?

I just turned 19, and I think I need a job now. I'm going to school full time, but I think I'm ready to handle a weekend job without screwing up my gpa.

Were there any stores in particular that were cool to work in? or did you get a job doing something most people don't think of?

But I will always find a way to survive
StopReadingThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
whywefight
would you kindly

hooker jobs.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
JackWhiteIsButts
UG Senior Member

Marijuana dispensary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I hope there will be more mass shootings. At least 4-5 a week. I want it so that everyone is personally affected.
JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
bingeandletgo
Bańned

My first job was a seasonal job at a local apple orchard/BBQ house/pie shop/gift shop/tourist attraction. The owners were cool, and they were relaxed with nearly everything. I would definitely get a job with some sort of local small business.

bingeandletgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
hooker jobs.

There's two kinds to choose from, both great.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingeandletgo
My first job was a seasonal job at a local apple orchard/BBQ house/pie shop/gift shop/tourist attraction. The owners were cool, and they were relaxed with nearly everything. I would definitely get a job with some sort of local small business.

Interesting. Theres a restaraunt/gift shop/ tourist attracion by where I live. Never thought about it for some reason.

But I will always find a way to survive
StopReadingThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

I worked for the St.Louis Blues helping set up the in-seat club section of the stadium and if the resturaunt was short staffed I would bartend at the games.
Started at $9.30 an hour and ended at $11 an hour.
DukeDeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Extra Ordinary
Meh

I'm a tutor at Kumon. The last branch I worked at payed me $15/hour. This new place pays me $10.25/hour and is flexible with my school hours.
General retail and service stores are usually the place to go for a first job.
Extra Ordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
iro-bot31
Jazz Hands

If you're into sports, being an ump or referee is pretty good. In high school I umpired little league baseball, two games on the weekends and one during the week. Each game was an hour and a half, and I made $20 - $25 a game.
iro-bot31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Lifeguard and Swimming Lessons Instructor $9, then $10 when I got started doing lessons. Its pretty good, until you start working more than 35 hours a week, then its just balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

I'm a part time carpenter. I go days which I don't have Uni on, and sometimes the weekend.
$100 for about 6-8 hours work. Not always that hard of work since I do more maintenance than doing fix out jobs so yeah. I've had it since I was 11 (Currently 22.. ) would you believe hahaha.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

As a serious answer, I work at a gold club, just doing golf stuff. Driving golf carts around, cleaning clubs, occasionally working on the range. It's very easy work for pretty good pay.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #13
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist

I've had 3 "types" of jobs, which I think encompass all the types of work most young people do for their first job. They are:

1. Shit-tier: This was when I worked in a movie theater. This job is similar to all those "wear a uniform and work for minimum wage" jobs like fast food.

I was a concessionist. The bad side is that the work sucks and you have to deal with so many customers (plus I hate the uniforms). Bosses also tend to be not too bright and often times jerks. However the positive with this job is that you work with a lot of people your age and you're probably gonna make good friends with your employees. You all have one thing in common; You hate your job. I quit working in a theater over 4 years ago and I have a very close friend whom I met working there and we still hangout a lot.

2. Meh-tier: This was working in clothing stores. The work is considerably easier (and cleaner) than working at a movie theater or in fast food. However sometimes it can be demanding, and nobody likes closing shifts. You do meet some cool people there, but I find that the age differences and stuff are much more diverse and I didn't get along as well with my co-workers. More of them are married, or much older and you just don't have much in common. So it's just sort of "meh" in both the work and social department. But I did meet a couple people I could hangout with.

3. Easy-tier: This was when I worked in a small mexican restaraunt. I'd put this with other jobs like being a cashier at a not-busy place or something. The upside is that the work was easy as shit. If it wasn't busy I'd turn on TV and watch something like Seinfeld. I also got food at good discount prices, and the bosses rarely if ever got upset with me. The bad side though is that I never really talked much with co-workers and was by myself a lot. It gets boring. cooks didn't speak a word of english, either.

Of course these are just my experiences and I'm sure they vary greatly from person to person.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.

Last edited by The Madcap : 01-22-2013 at 02:01 AM.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #14
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

I had one of the best crappy jobs in all of England; I think.

I was a temp warehouse picker... Nothing special about that except, it was at the Ann Summers warehouse.

Best crappy job ever.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
Kyleisthename

Well not my first job but my second is an apprentice for an electrician.
6 months of school, paid school, starting pay $14.25 while in school.
40 hours a week

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Worked as a cleaner for the UK head of Tesco at his mansion. Got paid £10 an hour to dust and hoover. Wasn't bad for a first job.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #17
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Kids, stay in school.

Every job I seem to get is a crappy entry level job.

I'm the old man working with and even for a bunch of kids who themselfs are working for people older than me, I'm at that age, it sucks; Kids, stay in school so you don't have to have a bunch of loser-Ass jobs like me.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 01-22-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #18
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Kids, stay in school.

Every job I seem to get is a crappy entry level job.

I'm the old man working with and even for a bunch of kids who themselfs are working for people older than me, I'm at that age, it sucks; Kids, stay in school so you don't have to have a bunch of loser-Ass jobs like me.

I used to work with people just like that at Sam's club

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #19
Redsectoreh
Never Say Die!

My first job was working at an ice cream shop when I was 16. It was busy when it was sunny out (obviously), when it rained it was slow but we would kill time by eating all of their supply... shit man we ate soooo much, good thing I wasn't smoking dope back then or else I'd be a complete fatass.
Redsectoreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #20
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

If we're doing first jobs and not entry level jobs, mine was this call centre, and it was so cool how I got that, my first gf walked up to her boss, pointed at me and said 'can this boy have a job?' and I got rushed through the interview and even got given basic training on the job and managed to make a lead on my test with a real life customer and, that sealed the deal... Too bad it was in Barnet and I was living at Crown Point, the 4 hour journey/8 hour commute was fun across London and, it was near to my gf, sort of.... Compared to where I was coming from on Public Transport, it was near. That was my first ever job... That wasn't a paper route for pocket money or, operating some stand at some school of mine during some fate.

Last edited by treborillusion : 01-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Rate This Thread: