Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
kemingt
Barned

Notes squealing out on high frets

I noticed that when playing sustained notes on the 24th fret of my high E, the notes would play but squeal and die out instead of sustaining in about half a second. After some research, I decided to try adjusting my Floyd Rose bridge to a higher action. Now I can play sustained notes on the 24th fret of the high E without it dying out, but for some reason the notes on the 22nd and 23rd frets inherited the "squeal-and-die" problem. All other notes on the 21st-24th frets on the other 5 strings play perfectly fine. What's going on? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

read up on natural harmonics. artificial wouldn't hurt either. google.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Lots of people use the term 'squeal' to refer to (intentional) harmonics, and your description of the problem isn't terribly clear. It would help if you would explain again; at the moment my guess would be that the frets are uneven and the string isn't able to vibrate without touching another fret, but that doesn't produce a 'squeal' sound, so it's hard to say that that's definitely the problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
kemingt
Barned

I mean squeal as in:

1. I fret the string.
2. I pick the string.
3. The note lasts for about half a second, followed by a short squealing sound, and then the note dies out.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

... That tells us nothing different. To be clear, stop saying 'squeal', because that's a word reserved for intentional harmonic sounds, especially pinch harmonics, or occasionally used to talk about feedback. More useful words may be buzz, chime, clang, you can probably think of a hundred others. Just don't use 'squeal', because in guitar terms that already means two other things.

Anyway, sounds to me like either the frets are uneven or the neck is too straight towards those higher frets, causing the string to hit other frets as it vibrates. Anywhere else on the neck and on any other string, this would manifest as definite buzz, but on the 1st string at the highest frets the normal note would be such a high-pitched sound with such short sustain anyway, it's just killing the note outright.

Check the neck relief first. If there seems to be enough relief, you're down to two things: either you're setting the string height unreasonably low (unlikely as you say you've already tried raising the strings) or those higher frets have become uneven. If uneven frets are the culprit, you need to take your guitar to a decent tech or luthier who can fix this by levelling and crowning.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
jpnyc

Now I can play sustained notes on the 24th fret of the high E without it dying out, but for some reason the notes on the 22nd and 23rd frets inherited the "squeal-and-die" problem.

Your 24th fret is taller than 22 and 23. Get it filed down.

Rate This Thread: