Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #81
thebestjoe

Not living up to all the hype IMO. Nothing special, the focus knob seems like another bass control, and an extra $1000 MSRP for an extra channel, MIDI, and the guy's name on the Hellwin.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #82
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah they put a knob that's basically a tone control (more or less) on the amp and say it switches it from british to american voicing and everyone believes it. marketing for the effing lose.

Craig does it too.

Although to be fair, on the Brigand, it totally works
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #83
sea`

Hellwin? As in, like, Hell and win? Is this some kind of joke?
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #84
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Is that a new amp? I have never followed Randall. But if they have a chug chug monster, I'm interested.

I'm waiting for something new to topple the 6505. Something has to be able to.

The Randall is a monster, however lacks dynamics and would get lost in a mix once the bass player gets going. It stomps all over this amp for chugging though.

Too bad you can't play the Hybris. Hard to describe it as its not based off another amp. It stomps all over my 5150.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #85
Volcz
The Vox Dude

The last thing we need in an amp is a subwoofer. Oh god Schecter..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #86
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I posted video in the NAMM thread.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #87
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Here's a lil demo/explanation of the two amps from PG at NAMM

Funny, I quite enjoyed the cleans on both of them. The Hellwin sounds pretty meh on the gain, but the Hellraiser 100 was actually pretty cool, weird - Cause they said they were basically the same thing.

Subs in a guitar cab though....

...wait.... They want $2700 and $3700 for those things? They ****ing high!??!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #88
lemurflames
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw

Smart business move. This will totally persuade me to buy a Schecter amp over a Rectifier, Mark V, 5150 III, Rockerverb, InsertEnglAmpHere... and many more!
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #89
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

First off, the two Schecters seem AWFULLY CLOSE to the Vengeance and Armageddon. A Two Channel and Three Channel with the only other big differences between the two amps being MIDI funtionality and a built-in Noise Gate. Maybe this is my fanboy-ism showing, but that seems AWFULLY CLOSE if you ask me. Even the aesthetics. More vivid, "shiny", stand-out looks onthe three channel versus stripped-down, mostly black looks with a brushed steel-style logo? Call me crazy, but that seems like a pure rip-off.

Now, that aside, I thought the amps themselves were pretty nice. You can't judge the sound like it deserves through a camera mic, or anything that's not an actually close-mic setup or you being there in person. I was pretty impressed with the clean channel's flexibility, although the difference between the two modes is, again, very similar to the Egnaters (the Gain +/- switch and funcitonality of the other two switches). The two gain channels on the Hellwin sounded like A7X, pretty much to a tee. Kinda flubby low end with a british flavor and nice and crunchy. I'm with Offworld that I personally like A7X and wouldn't consider them Metalcore, but closer to Classic Metal. Their first album is terrible, but I like a few songs from City of Evil, and Waking the Fallen, and their self-titled and Nightmare are both pretty excellent, IMO. As for Shadows, he had the same vocal coash as Axl Rose. Why wouldn't he sound nasally?

Anywho, the powered subwoofer is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in guitar ever period. Seriously? Why even have a bassist at that point? Also, wouldn't that make the impedance of the other three speakers really weird? I mean, I'm not really technical with that stuff, so if one of the more knowledgable guys could help out here, that would be great, but wouldn't that mean those speakers have a special impedance unless there's some kind of dummy load in the cab that is like a faux-fourth speaker? Unless the powered sub is also a load, even when it's turned off?

I'm actually kinda excited for the Thrasher. I really want to try one. Aren't the cabs for that loaded with Celestion G12H-100's? I could swear that's what I read. Even if it's a typo and that should be G12K-100's, I would say that adding a V30 to the mix would help it cut through a mix better.

The Hybris doesn't need review. We all know that nothing at NAMM could top that. Seriously. Craig most definitely hit an absolute home run on that one. It's highly likely that I end up buying one of those, because the clips I heard were seriously an eargasm. I can't say when that'll be, since my "amps to buy" list also includes one of Cath's 18w Jack Daniels amps and a 5153 Mini, but It'll definitely be before the 5153, since it's likely to make that purchase pointless.

EDIT:

NO SHIT MatrixClaw! They're definitely f***ing high! Neither of those amps are worth anywhere NEAR that.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 01-26-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #90
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I'm with Offworld that I personally like A7X and wouldn't consider them Metalcore, but closer to Classic Metal. Their first album is terrible, but I like a few songs from City of Evil, and Waking the Fallen, and their self-titled and Nightmare are both pretty excellent, IMO.

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with A7X as a band, really. While I really can't stand to listen to M. Shadow's voice anymore, they are the band that got me into metal. It's funny you mention their albums though, because I feel like they've gotten progressively worse as they've kept rolling them out. Their first album (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet), is actually probably my favorite of them all, and I still listen to several of those songs now whenever they come up on my iPod, same with Waking the Fallen. City of Evil has a few I can tolerate, but beyond that the music is no longer good enough to allow me to overlook his voice. There's some parts of the newer stuff I still like though, but I definitely couldn't sit down and listen to their whole album

Also - Kinda been outa the loop on the NAMM stuff, but damn, the Hybris looks so epic. At $999... definitely something I'll be checking into more as it becomes available! That and the Slate Raven MTi DAW control surface look so epic, and both exceptionally priced for what they do. SO EXCITE!
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #91
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Funny, I quite enjoyed the cleans on both of them. The Hellwin sounds pretty meh on the gain, but the Hellraiser 100 was actually pretty cool, weird - Cause they said they were basically the same thing.

Subs in a guitar cab though....

I agree on the cleans. That surprised me.

but that's just the MSRP. I'm sure they'll drop by a good $1000 in stores at least. so still pretty expensive but not nearly as bad
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #92
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
I agree on the cleans. That surprised me.

but that's just the MSRP. I'm sure they'll drop by a good $1000 in stores at least. so still pretty expensive but not nearly as bad

True, they'll drop some for the retail price, but not $1000 - At least on the Hellraiser. Usually list is about 25% higher than the real price, so I'd expect somewhere around $2000 for the Hellraiser 100 and $2800 for the Hellwin. At those prices, you're into Diezel and Fortin territory if you go used. Unless these things have horrible resale value, Schecter's either going to have to pull the price down significantly to compete with something like the 6505+, or they're just going to end up tanking.
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #93
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, I hate M Shadow's vocals on STST, although there are maybe two songs on there that I like. Waking the Fallen has more songs on it that I like than I thought, looking back through. City of Evil wasn't that great, although my favorite of their songs is on there. Self Titled is probably their best yet, and Nightmare shows a change in the band, so I don't feel that it's fair to judge it. I just laugh at people that say "all of their shitt sounds the same". There is a HUGE distinction between albums, and Nightmare has quite a bit of versatility in terms of genre definition. I agree some of their riffs and songs sound similar, but compared to something like Disturbed, their shit sounds wilidly different. Disturbed is one of those bands that I can't recognize one single song from another because they all sound the same.

I'm almost sure those Schecters are going to tank. The Armageddon/Vengance are basically the same concept, but don't look as hideous, and sound better, IMO.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #94
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, I hate M Shadow's vocals on STST, although there are maybe two songs on there that I like. Waking the Fallen has more songs on it that I like than I thought, looking back through. City of Evil wasn't that great, although my favorite of their songs is on there. Self Titled is probably their best yet, and Nightmare shows a change in the band, so I don't feel that it's fair to judge it. I just laugh at people that say "all of their shitt sounds the same". There is a HUGE distinction between albums, and Nightmare has quite a bit of versatility in terms of genre definition. I agree some of their riffs and songs sound similar, but compared to something like Disturbed, their shit sounds wilidly different. Disturbed is one of those bands that I can't recognize one single song from another because they all sound the same.

I'm almost sure those Schecters are going to tank. The Armageddon/Vengance are basically the same concept, but don't look as hideous, and sound better, IMO.

Totally agree with this.

I guess I like STST because there's a lot more harsh vocals in it, so I don't have to listen to him sing
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #95
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

So for the price of this I can buy two Hybrises? And I'd buy one because?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #96
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
Craig does it too.

Although to be fair, on the Brigand, it totally works

oh does he? I didn't realise that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #97
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
So for the price of this I can buy two Hybrises? And I'd buy one because?

Because teh hybris doesn't have teh br00tz toan. You need a hellwin to sound liek dat.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #98
JELIFISH19

Do you think the Hellwin will be a high gain monster? Syn switched from the Uberschall to JCM800s and the band seems to be less gain heavy than they were back in the days. They haven't even been metalcore for the past 3 albums. Even Waking the Fallen wasn't using extreme gain. I wasn't expecting the Hellwin to be too heavy in the gain department since it's Syn's amp. But I personally think the amps sound really good. A lot of amps have tons of gain but don't sound great whenever you're outside of the super high gain territory. These sound great at lower gain settings. They're expensive but so are most of the good amps. And they'll probably come out with cheaper, non-USA, versions eventually.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #99
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
Do you think the Hellwin will be a high gain monster? Syn switched from the Uberschall to JCM800s and the band seems to be less gain heavy than they were back in the days. They haven't even been metalcore for the past 3 albums. Even Waking the Fallen wasn't using extreme gain. I wasn't expecting the Hellwin to be too heavy in the gain department since it's Syn's amp. But I personally think the amps sound really good. A lot of amps have tons of gain but don't sound great whenever you're outside of the super high gain territory. These sound great at lower gain settings. They're expensive but so are most of the good amps. And they'll probably come out with cheaper, non-USA, versions eventually.

Expensive =/= Good.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #100
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:

haz teh coil tapz brah.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: