Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Glenn Guitar

IMO if you go for the Epiphone, you will be like "i could have got a 335"

That does depend on if the guitar has a significantly better feel over the Epi.

But if i was you, i'd get the 335.
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Glenn Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
What does your current collection look like? Is it just the G&L? If so, you clearly like quality axes- go for the 335.

Yeah, the collection is currently down to just the G&L. Although I do have another guitar project in-progress that I hope to finish after I sell the bike. It's a MIJ Cortez copy of a Gibson Les Paul Jr, double cutaway with routes for two dogear P-90s. It needs pickups, new pots, and a jack.

I've had very nice guitars in the past ('57 reissue Goldtop) as well as dirt-cheap guitars. I've enjoyed both. There are plusses and minuses to both. But the reality is that I probably won't come across a large chunk of "free money" again for a very long time, and if I don't pick up the ES-335 now then I might be waiting for a while.
Ovation IDea
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10
57Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Goldtop
I've had very nice guitars in the past ('57 reissue Goldtop) as well as dirt-cheap guitars. I've enjoyed both. There are plusses and minuses to both. But the reality is that I probably won't come across a large chunk of "free money" again for a very long time, and if I don't pick up the ES-335 now then I might be waiting for a while.

Sounds like you want the 335 deep inside. Go for it

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
monwobobbo

how bout an ES-339 and then you'd have some cash left over. even better see about a used one and get the SG as well.
monwobobbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Yeah, the collection is currently down to just the G&L. Although I do have another guitar project in-progress that I hope to finish after I sell the bike. It's a MIJ Cortez copy of a Gibson Les Paul Jr, double cutaway with routes for two dogear P-90s. It needs pickups, new pots, and a jack.

Assuming the 335 is in good shape and actually sounds better than the other guitars, then there is no question: 335.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
You should look into an Egnater Tweaker, that thing can make VOX tones better than an AC-15 and about every tone the DSL doesn't reach

It's like having 10 different amps in one, but i wouldn't call it a modeling amp because it also has its own tone

What?
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuningGamer
Sounds like you want the 335 deep inside. Go for it

I guess I do, but I still haven't ruled out the other option. The thing that's really holding me back is the idea of getting a second amp, which I couldn't do if I got the 335. My DSL is great for a lot of things, but I like that Fender-blues tone. It's possible I might have a tiny bit of cash left over if I get the 335, but probably not more than $250. Definitely not enough for a Bassman. But maybe enough for something else that has a good bluesy tone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
how bout an ES-339 and then you'd have some cash left over. even better see about a used one and get the SG as well.

I'm actually planning on buying used regardless. And for some reason the used 339's I've seen are the same prices as used 335's.
Ovation IDea
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #28
halfj06

Your g&l would pull off blues good with a more suited amp. Id go amp first
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Quote:
I guess I do, but I still haven't ruled out the other option. The thing that's really holding me back is the idea of getting a second amp, which I couldn't do if I got the 335. My DSL is great for a lot of things, but I like that Fender-blues tone. It's possible I might have a tiny bit of cash left over if I get the 335, but probably not more than $250. Definitely not enough for a Bassman. But maybe enough for something else that has a good bluesy tone?

Either get the 335 and save for a new amp (if 335's are hard to come by or this is an epic deal) or go the other way round. I find it hard to believe you can't save cash if you can buy the stuff you have at the moment. It might take a while, but you will be happier in the end. A 335 also seems to have more resale value, but I wouldn't really know about that.

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #30
hminh87
Justin here!

I would go for a custom Carvin and still got enough money for a nice extra amp.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #31
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

I'd go 335. Especially since it'll only be worth more in the long run. As well as being absolutely beautiful. If I could afford it, the 335 would be the first one i'd buy.
ZepJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #32
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

Get the 335 man, you may never be able to afford one again. I'd rather one guitar that I adored, than 20 that never quite cut the mustard.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #33
RedMist

I would say always buy the best guitar you can afford. The 335 is one of my all time favs, so I'm a little biased. I have a Fender Blues Deville amp that I love, so I would recommend one to anybody.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
RedMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Right the grestch sounds different, but for his choice genres of indie, blues and rock I think it fits the bill.. and has a distinct voice.. which Ive always felt gibson and especially epiphone fall short.

I love Gretsch, but I certainly don't think the 335 falls short in any department. They are beautiful guitars with amazing tone.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

yep definitely there are pros and cons to both approaches. It's not like there's any clear definitive answer, and you know your situation better than we do. Good luck with whatever you decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #36
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Something else occurred to me. I don't necessarily need two amps (a Marshall and a Fender). I just want to have a more flexible range of tones available for recording. So maybe I should buy the 335 with the cash from my bike because deep down that's what I really want to do. Then I could sell my DSL and use that cash to buy a more flexible amp. That probably makes more sense for my needs right now.

Any recommendations on amps that can cover Marshall rock tones and Fender blues tones (price range of about $600-$800)? My first thought is the Egnater Tweaker, as randomly mentioned earlier. But I would be open to other ideas...
Ovation IDea
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I've had such GAS for a Silverburst les paul lately. That's where my 2k would go.

EDIT: To answer your amp question, check out the Blackstar HT-60. I'm a big Blackstar fan, and you have the bias knob to go from an American to British voicing.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Any recommendations on amps that can cover Marshall rock tones and Fender blues tones (price range of about $600-$800)? My first thought is the Egnater Tweaker, as randomly mentioned earlier. But I would be open to other ideas...

try a renegade too.

sam ash by me had some ass kicking midtowns for $999.

saw this yesterday. it was not easy to walk out without it.

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
mattrusso

I would get the 335. It'll obviously have the best build quality and it can do a really good approximation of any sounds you'd want from that SG. Also, it'll be one less thing to worry about maintaining.

For amps, check out the Egnater Tweaker and Rebel. I have a Rebel 30 combo and I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, if you're considering the Midtown, just know that it's not a true semi-hollow. It's basically just a chambered solid body with f holes for decoration.

I know someone mentioned Gretsch. I love Gretsch guitars, but the traditional Gretsch sound (and full hollow bodies in general) doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. You should check out their new Center Block models, though. I don't think they come out for another month or so, but they're the first Gretsch semi-hollows (as opposed to full hollow) that I know of. They look pretty sweet! Here's a link (just click on the Center Block tab):

http://www.gretschguitars.com/featu...nniversary#tabs

Last edited by mattrusso : 01-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
thehikingdude

My vote: Get the 335.

Then down the road when you have mo' money you can add to your collection. That way you end up with everything on your list. Just takes a bit longer.
thehikingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: