Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
mattmakaha

new progressive rock track -- matt makaha

Here's a newer guitar track I finished recently, this one is progressive rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaY4vQX7Sfo

Well, I think the best category for this is progressive rock...
What do you guys think??

Last edited by mattmakaha : 01-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Metal Turtle

nice man, sounded ace!
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
fenderbassist12
with that fresh funk

Writing as a listen.

Pretty cool style. The contrast between the lead guitar and the soft keys is kinda cool but a little weird at first. The drums sounds really nice, is it a mic'd drum set or a digital drum machine? The guitar has a nice path, in that it has good direction with its melodies. Cool progression. Sounds like a flat 6 to flat 7, up to the one? Easy to jam along to. As a bassist I would ask you to play around with the bass a little more, depending on your preference. The bass is guiding the progression which is the normal job, but if recording from a bass guitar, try adding some percussive elements on bass, it can add a lot. Ghost 16th notes and such.

Sounds like you made it on a DAW which explains the cleanliness of the sound. But its also not good that you can tell that. The guitar sounds organic, but the other half (rhythm section) sounds like its digitally produced, you need to get yourself a band mate, cause you've got talent man.
Hohner HW 220 Acoustic Guitar
Acoustic B200 combo
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver

Can I have JR. Western Bacon Chi. I'm trying to watch my figure. Junior.
fenderbassist12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
JDawg00100
^ thats me

Location: The seventh layer of hell, next door to Martha Stewart
Well that was pretty sweet, nice playing. The song in itself was great, it kept me interested the whole way through, and the playing was very good. The drums are really good in this one for sure, the tone is good, I like it.

Overall I thought it was excellent.
JDawg00100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbassist12
Writing as a listen.

Pretty cool style. The contrast between the lead guitar and the soft keys is kinda cool but a little weird at first. The drums sounds really nice, is it a mic'd drum set or a digital drum machine? The guitar has a nice path, in that it has good direction with its melodies. Cool progression. Sounds like a flat 6 to flat 7, up to the one? Easy to jam along to. As a bassist I would ask you to play around with the bass a little more, depending on your preference. The bass is guiding the progression which is the normal job, but if recording from a bass guitar, try adding some percussive elements on bass, it can add a lot. Ghost 16th notes and such.

Sounds like you made it on a DAW which explains the cleanliness of the sound. But its also not good that you can tell that. The guitar sounds organic, but the other half (rhythm section) sounds like its digitally produced, you need to get yourself a band mate, cause you've got talent man.

It's a drum machine. I try to use the nuance function (hitting close to the rim or bell of the ride for example), and move the hit slightly forward or backward in time to make it sound just a little bit off, like a human being would.....
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
flexiblemile

Good stuff! what I like most is the sense of melody. It's actually interesting to listen to.

However, you can totally see that this is a guitarists song... the guitar starts the song, carries the melody the whole way through and the other instruments take no real part in the song apart from accompaniment.

I might get flamed for this but I find that its a boring way to record a song. There's a reason people like Joe satriani and Steve Vai don't have a wider appeal than they do... They might be incredible musicians but their music has a very limited appeal to non musicians because it's too guitar/instrument driven.

I think you could keep the song as is but take out guitar parts but replace them with a singer and then an organ or strings doing the same melody that is already going on, you'd have a song that absolutely everyone can enjoy. It can still be mostly guitar but I think diversity is the name of our game.

Great melody though, I listened to it three times in a row and am starting a fourth, lol
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
aaron aardvark

matt,
Thank you for the reviews! I remember you too. I was in Maui a few weeks ago, and I did not want to leave. Your tune: I would not call this prog, but that's not important (seems more like good ol' rock to me). Very nice guitar playing (and sweeps, I think), and nice melodies! Drums & bass are doing well in the rhythm section. The keyboards are fine too. The lead guitar is what stands out of course. Very well done
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
svgenderen

This kind of has the style of music you hear in the videogame "Gran Turismo". It's like this funk rock (?) music which is guitar-driven in a few. Love that!
svgenderen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: