Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's only Azorean

Tap Tempo+Boss DD-6?

I'm trying to build my own tap tempo for my DD-6 but after reading a bit online it seems like this isn't possible because there's no actual jack on the unit. I know that Aaron Barrett uses a DD-6 and an FS-5L together but I have no idea how he does it. My guess is that he plugged the FS-5L into input A and then went from Input B to Output B on his signal chain. Does anyone know if this is actually possible and how one would go about doing this?

Last edited by Wrst_Plyr_Evr : 01-22-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Wrst_Plyr_Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
souperman08

Are you sure you mean the FS-5L? And are you sure it's a DD-6? It would make a lot more sense to me if it was a FS-5U, and a DD-7 or DD-5 (and they would look identical). According to Wikipedia he does have a DD-6, but it doesn't give any sources.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's only Azorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
Are you sure you mean the FS-5L? And are you sure it's a DD-6? It would make a lot more sense to me if it was a FS-5U, and a DD-7 or DD-5 (and they would look identical). According to Wikipedia he does have a DD-6, but it doesn't give any sources.

Let me snag a screenshot of his pedalboard from Instagram and I'll upload it right quick.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Only the DD5 and DD7 accept external tap tempo switches.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Oldmonkeys
- Also known as Matt

unless he has modded his dd-6 to make the tap tempo function external?

Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod
Gretsch Power Jet
Fender Tele
Wizard Modern Classic
Vox Lil' Night Train
Hame 2x12

[- "Uncool Aussie" of the Pedalboard Thread -]
Oldmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's only Azorean

Here's his pedal board. It's hard to tell what connects to where because of the stupid filter but the DD-6 up in the top right corner and the FS-5L right below it.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
souperman08

From that picture, I can't really tell what Boss Delay it is (they all look the same), and it doesn't look like the FS-5L is connected to anything. Perhaps he uses that as a channel switcher for his amp? Anyways, the (sad) long story short is that you won't get a external tap tempo without doing some mods, and at that point you'd be better off just selling it and getting a DD-5 or DD-7.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's only Azorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
From that picture, I can't really tell what Boss Delay it is (they all look the same), and it doesn't look like the FS-5L is connected to anything. Perhaps he uses that as a channel switcher for his amp? Anyways, the (sad) long story short is that you won't get a external tap tempo without doing some mods, and at that point you'd be better off just selling it and getting a DD-5 or DD-7.

Plausible, but then I see no need for the Super Distortion. Regardless, that's what I was afraid of. I might just go without or I'll try to sell it. Bummer.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

There is no possible mod you can do to add external tap tempo control to a DD-6.

I did look at that picture really hard and it does appear to be a DD-6, but you can also see that nothing is plugged in besides the input and the output. Also, the FS-5L is latching and couldn't be used to tap tempo anyway, it is most likely used to change channels on something (as mentioned above).

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
souperman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Plausible, but then I see no need for the Super Distortion. Regardless, that's what I was afraid of. I might just go without or I'll try to sell it. Bummer.

Lots of guys use overdrive/distortion pedals pedals along with their amp's. I have a three channel amp, and I usually have 2-3 overdrives and a distortion on my board

Rate This Thread: