Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

Don't forget about the kind of pick your using. This can greatly effect not only your tone, but physical strain as well.

For example, a .60mm pick has very little strain on your picking effort however has less overall tone and dynamics than a thicker pick.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #22
RickyThomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtoTYPE
Woah there. Calm down por favor.

Down picking everything on earth is a beginner habit and I think it is healthy for someone to be able to down pick and economic pick the same songs. It just comes down to good practice and form. Sorry but it is possible to get the same "sound" with economic picking.

I see it all the time; People try to learn master of puppets because its awesome (which it is) and they down pick the entire thing. OK GREAT however if you asked them to play it with a different technique they cannot do it. If you bicept is hurting because you are down picking then maybe you should switch up your technique because down picking cannot account for faster playing. There are plenty of guides on ultimate-guitar.com and on Freepower's youtube channel that can assist you with picking and how to avoid bad habits.

Talk about being an advocate for making the guitar easier and more comfortable to play.

How is downpicking a beginner habit? It's a technique in itself, alternate picking or downpicking give a different sound. I don't know anything about master of puppets, not my kind of music, but downpicking does sound different to other methods.

Go play some Ramones records, Johnny Ramone wasn't a nub or a beginner. and played pretty much everything with downstrokes/downstrums. If you play along to their records with up/down picking for example, it won't sound right.

Stamina is the key, and downpicking is used to create a wall of sound rather than a drone.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
TheProtoTYPE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
How is downpicking a beginner habit? It's a technique in itself, alternate picking or downpicking give a different sound. I don't know anything about master of puppets, not my kind of music, but downpicking does sound different to other methods.

Go play some Ramones records, Johnny Ramone wasn't a nub or a beginner. and played pretty much everything with downstrokes/downstrums. If you play along to their records with up/down picking for example, it won't sound right.

Stamina is the key, and down picking is used to create a wall of sound rather than a drone.

This is why I don't post on the forum too often. People refuse to just simply read. I am not having this argument again.
TheProtoTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: