Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
samuraigoomba

Tone chasing (rock blues)

Hi all, I am busy chasing the perfect rock/rock blues tone, something really fat and rich, with moderate gain and nice crunch.

Something kind of like this.

My current gear is a Vypyr 30, LTD Viper-1000 and Heartfield Talon 1. The Vypyr doesn't really get close enough to the sound I want, and sounds too flat and digital. Not warm enough. My LTD is too much of a high gain guitar. Very nice for AC/DC, but not so good for Cream, Led Zepp, ZZ Top and Freddie King.

So I'm trying to figure out what part of my gear needs changing to get the tone I want. I could buy a fuzz pedal, but I'd rather get my tone straight from guitar+amp. I am not really looking for an amp right now, because my ex gave me a 1965 fender vibrochamp that needs new tubes or something. So once I fix that, it'll probably be ok for blues. If not, it's worth a bit of money, I hear.

So there are a few guitars in my price range, and I was wondering if any of these work for blues. I really like the sound of p90s. I figured I could list some guitars I've been looking at, and people could give me their opinions on the sounds/playability of the guitars. I'll try things myself when I have time, but my local shops just don't have everything that I'm looking at.

-PRS SE Soapbar 2. These sound ok in the videos I've heard, and they're very cheap.

-Gibson LP Junior Special. The p90s sound awesome in the videos I've seen, but I don't like the finish and I prefer double cutaways. They're kinda pushing my budget, too.

-Reverend Manta Ray. Another great-sounding guitar in videos, but they're not cheap and kinda rare. Definitely seem interesting, though.

-Gibson LP '60s Tribute. I just heard of this today, and it seems kind of cool. I don't really like fat necks (flat and wide is the choice for me), so I don't know if I'd like the neck.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...670-i2945350.gc

-Gibson SG with p90s (I think it's the '60s or '70s tribute?) Again, looks cool but I think it won't have the deep, rich tone I'm after. Didn't sound that great in videos.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...464-i2773132.gc

-G&L Bluesboy? I dunno, I'm not a fan of bolt-on necks or singlecuts. Sounds good, though.

Finally, I learned about Malden Guitars and found this online:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malden-Karm...=item4d08d6b883

Do Malden Karma guitars have that Les Paul sound, or something totally different?

I realize this post is kind of a text dump (most of the gear I've been looking at for the last month or so) so answer as much as you're comfortable with, and thanks for any help you can give! Budget is probably $500 max on guitar, or $400 on an amp.

Last edited by samuraigoomba : 01-23-2013 at 02:15 AM.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

That vibrochamp and a decent Overdrive pedal will get you a LOT of great blues sounds! I'd definitely put the money into some new tubes and a great OD pedal, then you can sink some more into the guitar!

I think the Tribute LP would be your best bet. The 60's neck is actually slimmer than most Gibson necks, and also has that wide feel like PRS.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz

This guy does a thorough review of his stock MiK Malden Karma, and also has some videos where he swapped out the pickups for some Lace Alumitones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdGm30yN_U&sns=em

Since they shifted production to the USA, the price AND the quality have gone up.

(Just put down some money on a Bad Karma myself.)

My bet is that the one in that auction is a MiK. Definitely worth $200, and maybe as much as $50-100 more. Back when they were MiK, they direct-priced them at @$550 or so, and they blew them out for @$200 when they were trying to clear inventory to make room for the MiAs.

Reverends will deliver some fairly beefy blues rock tones, and many are just as capable of doing metal as a LP. For straight blues, some of their pickups might be a tad hot, but they do have models that could handle it without a hitch. You should be able to find new Revs in the $750-1000 range, and certain models will be as little as $500 used in top condition.

(Been looking at those recently as well.)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-23-2013 at 05:41 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
samuraigoomba

Well, I missed the boat on that Malden, haha. Probably for the best. I'm thinking about getting a Crunch Box from M1 Audio to help with my tone.

I forgot about them, but MIC Tokais are not very expensive. They don't have p90s, but how well do they emulate the Gibson Les Paul? If they're at more of an Epiphone level of quality, I'm probably not interested. I'd like any guitar I consider buying to be at least a sidegrade of my LTD Viper 1000, if not an upgrade.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Well, you can always opt to swap out the pickups.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
My current gear is a Vypyr 30, LTD Viper-1000 and Heartfield Talon 1. The Vypyr doesn't really get close enough to the sound I want, and sounds too flat and digital. Not warm enough. My LTD is too much of a high gain guitar. Very nice for AC/DC, but not so good for Cream, Led Zepp, ZZ Top and Freddie King.

AC/DC have lower gain tones certainly than ZZ Top and Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull

AC/DC have lower gain tones certainly than ZZ Top and Cream

Yeah, Clapton's woman tone was quite uncertain and desired, yet he did reveal that the main idea behind it is a SG toggled on for both pickups, with a cranked up tube amp and tone controls set very low.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

maybe try turning down the tone and volume to like 5 or 6 on the guitar?
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
Well, I missed the boat on that Malden, haha. Probably for the best. I'm thinking about getting a Crunch Box from M1 Audio to help with my tone.

I forgot about them, but MIC Tokais are not very expensive. They don't have p90s, but how well do they emulate the Gibson Les Paul? If they're at more of an Epiphone level of quality, I'm probably not interested.

yeah they're probably more or less epiphone level. the japanese-made tokais are great, and would be a "sidegrade", if not an upgrade, to your LTD 1000, but i doubt an MIC tokai would be.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
learyyme
Banned

I learned to play the guitar so I can not move the good hand. I will try this exercise.
learyyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: