Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
TMVATDI

Recording gear help

I'm about to record an album, but in the long-term I plan to do field recordings of nature and such. My brother told me TASCAM makes great field recorders, so I searched the web and all I could find was the HS-P82 and the DR680. I don't even know if the HS-P82 is still being made, and at $599 i don't think i can afford the DR680. So basically, I need to find something that can both record a decent quality studio album and field recordings, any recommendations?
TMVATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

For normal studio style recording you need either a multitracker or an interface to hook up to your PC and use that. There's a sticky that discusses recommendations for both of those.

Don't know anything about the DR680 you mentioned though, so can't provide any specific advice about that one.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Keskimaki
Grating & Dividing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVATDI
So basically, I need to find something that can both record a decent quality studio album and field recordings, any recommendations?

Unfortunately these are quite different things. There probably are many configurations of gear that would suite you, but you have to narrow it down more specifically concerning:

a)what do you want to achieve
b) what working method suits you the best
c) how much currency are you able/willing to put in to it

And don't worry, at first - crawling through tutorials and forum stickies - the world of recording can look like an incomprehencible sea of difficulties and/or boredom - with varying opinions on methods and techniques - but once you get the hang of the fundamentals, it can be a very rewarding learning experience. It's also possible that at first (or all the time ) you end up with gear you find useless come the next week, month or year. I know I've had.

The Great Divide @ soundcloud

Last edited by Keskimaki : 01-23-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Keskimaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: