Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
sweetdude3000

Considering vocal lessons

Is it possible that many people can have a passable singing voice if trained properly? I have been a musician for many years (piano and in the past few years the guitar) so I understand music, except I have been told my voice was off key when I was younger and to not try.. so I just stopped singing thinking I have zero talent. I don't think the timbre of my voice is bad at all, I just don't know "how" to sing , i.e. what techniques to use. From my reading on here, it appears you can train yourself vocally.

I am considering lessons as a significant time & money investment. Any things to keep in mind for someone going about this for the first time? Like what can I reasonably expect? How long will it take to develop a decent voice (or is it out of reach)?
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
deoman420

you cant be taught how to sing, it comes from within. unless your one of them guys who sings into their chromatic tuners lol if you dont devote yourself you should expect to fail. but as long as you keep practicing you will improve. Good luck!
deoman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Definitely get some vocal lessons. I know many people who have awful voice but sound decent when singing because they went to the singing lessons.
I have always been a self-taught, and my voice sucks. (see one of my threads)

EDIT:
lol at the first two contradictory answers.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 01-23-2013 at 02:37 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Everyone who isn't tone deaf can learn to sing in key. I would actually say that singing in key is one of the easiest parts of singing to learn - you just need to work on your ear and practice.

Singing lessons are far more about getting a good timbre than about being on key.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
sweetdude3000

I started taking lessons the other day and the first thing he told me was I had no problem with singing on key. I never mentioned how bad I was years ago. When I was younger, I think my ear was untrained. Guitar definitely seems to help. Especially playing by ear. It is a matter of awareness. So yea, it's doable.

My vocal range was pinned at a low baritone. I think he said there are ways to expand your range. Is it possible to sing stuff like Roy Oribson? or is his range a little out there?
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
HotspurJr

If you have bad technique, good technique will expand your range.

How much? No well to know until you try.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Honkten

How To Become A Better Singer In Just Days

The singing tips presentation on this page will show you how to improve your singing voice, increase your range, have better breath control, and simply be a better singer in just a few minutes a day! Youíll be pleased to know this isnít any type of gimmickÖ these are REAL techniques that I use and teach other people to get real results in making you a better singer. Youíre going to want to watch the entire presentation to see exactly how I became a better singer, how thousands are simply copying my plan, and how you can do the same. Donít forget! Watch the entire presentation, because you will be surprised!

visit: http://80998jdkcgh4ay3ayh5hr7pt45.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=UZMAN45^^
Honkten is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: