User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

Jackson Pro series

Hey guys!
I had my eyes set on a ibanez rg3xxv, until yesterday!
When I saw the Jackson DK2MQ in chlorine burst- beautiful guitar, great specs, floyd rose 1000 series, SD's with teh coil tapz, the works.
Which would be better for me- I play blues up to 80's metal.
I play on a fender mustang and am soon going to buy a carvin v3m.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

on paper i'd say the jackson is better- better trem (which should also be a direct swap for an OFR or schaller, but don't quote me on that), probably more versatile pickups (though i haven't tried those specific dimarzios, just going by what i've heard about them).

However, i haven't tried either guitar so I don't know which guitar is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

thanks- how are the floyd rose 1000's in general?

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy2000

Not terrible.

But quality-wise, I HAVE HEARD the old Japanese Pro Jacksons (if you can find one) are far better than the new Pro Jacksons
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy2000

not bad. i'd rather have one than any of the cheapo licensed floyds. it more or less feels and reacts like an OFR, kind of thing (whereas a lot of the cheapo copies bear little resemblance in use to an OFR or similar), but at the same time I'd say an OFR, schaller, gotoh or ibanez edge is noticeably nicer in use (and also seem to be made better, with tighter tolerances, better metalworking etc.).

I guess... with those cheapo licensed ones it's like they've tried to make a trem as cheaply as possible with no regard to the quality (a cynic would say they don't actually want them to be any good because they want you to have to fork out later for their more expensive guitars which have a decent floyd rose).

the frt-x000 is like they've tried to make a decent quality trem as cheaply as possible.

if that makes sense.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 01-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Arjun_M

I've got plenty to talk about the Pro Series and X-Series, notably the Dinky and Soloist models. The Pro series, frankly, is priced a little too high. I wouldn't want to buy one of these new, as that's too much money for an Asian guitar- and when one lands here in India, it will be hideously overpriced. Little wonder then that customers and dealers alike have drifted to Ibanez, ESP, Schecter and Dean. I feel they should reduce the prices of the Pro series to compete with some of the sub-1000 ESPs and RG Premium Ibanez-es, or build stripped-down but rock-solid guitars to sell at the same price in the US. Such high prices for Asian guitars suggests excessive profiteering.

EDIT: There's also that group who want sharkfins on all Jacksons, and will not accept offset dots and piranha teeth.
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i think the bolt-on dinkies are made in mexico. But yeah i think the rest are made in (non-japanese) asia somewhere.

Quote:

Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Arjun_M

Still too expensive. I'm not so sure it costs so much to get these guitars built in that place- I certainly won't overpay for something coming out of the Samick factory. If it came from World Music or Fender Mexico or Fujigen Gakki, maybe, but not these Fender American Standard prices. It's just too high.

They should, side by side, introduce an inexpensive USA-made line without all the bells and whistles- like an upgraded X series- in the price range $500-800 - that will get loads of customers.
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

agreed.

Quote:

Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Yep, the Dinkies are coming out of the FMIC Mexico factory, the neck throughs are from somewhere in Indonesia. I'd rather have seen the whole line coming out of FMIC Mexico, but the reason I heard was that the factory's only really geared up to do bolt-ons, which makes sense I suppose.

These are all still pretty new, and I haven't seen many people at all getting their hands on them yet. All I've seen is one JCFer getting their hands on a silverburst DK2M and being impressed by it. I'd certainly agree that the prices are a bit high, but then I've thought that of all of the J/C line for the last few years. I bought my Japanese DK2M 4 years ago for 400, and it seems like when these Mexican ones arrive here they'll be more like 600. It annoys me, but as a huge fan of everything Jackson and a lover of maple boards, I'll probably buy one anyway. I think they look fantastic and I love the spec list.

As for the possibility of a cheaper US line, that's not going to happen. They tried something a bit similar a few years back but I don't think it ever really took off. They are making what I consider to be a big improvement to the US line though, and that's a sort of semi-custom system. It means that if you want to make a small change (from a predefined list of course) to a production USA Select, you can have it at a small upcharge and from the regular production line rather than having to pay Custom Shop prices (and suffer a Custom Shop wait time...)
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: