Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
Rex Inclitus

I had the same problem many moons ago when I started playing. I got into the habit ( as with scales ) of just watching something on TV so the repetition didn't drive me crazy after a few hours, and practice that one thing over and over again till I got the technique perfected. It will just come one day and you will wonder why it was so hard in the first place, like riding a bike. I did the same to learn the Windows part of 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Rex Inclitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
DESTROYER5000
Banned

I use the side of my hand like I'm palm muting
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #23
Rex Inclitus

I forgot to add that Destruction Overdrive by BLS is great to practice and will also help your wide vibrato.
Rex Inclitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

I think a great way to practice is to do them on open strings at like the 19th or 24th fret. That'll help you get the feel without worrying about doing them in the right spot. Then, fret like the 1st fret and move slightly down from the 24th fret and try, then keep going down, etc. Once you get the feel you'll be able to do them in the more standard picking locations with more ease. Once you get good at them you should be able to make them ring out decently with even an acoustic guitar (but by no means loudly).

Good luck and keep practicing.

Edit: Also, you can try to find where the natural harmonics in your standard picking position are and then move those positions down a bit when you fret notes.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Last edited by Kevin Saale : 03-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

I'm a firm believer that if you can't do them unplugged, then you need to practice more that way. That is what I did, and while I'm not expert I can pull them off more often than not.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
malemsenen
Malemsenen

Nice Explanation,Thanks I'll Learn...
malemsenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
dimesqeals
always a newbie

I learned to play pinch harmonics by teaching myself. There is no angle of the pick and how slightly I touch the string after picking it. I guess I based it on feel. I first practiced pinch harmonics on my acoustic guitar. Made sure I could hear the harmonic. Then when I played the guitar and applied what I learned it just squealed and then I got it.
dimesqeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #28
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I think it's important to note that basically every fret of every string has a sweet spot for the pinch harmonic. Most also have several sweet spots. You can play a pinch harmonic on the same fret, but pick it in a different area and it will sound completely different aswell.

I'm a firm believer that pinch harmonics are one of those techniques that always develop and there wont be one of those days where "the pin drops" or whatever people say and then suddenly you think.. well that wasn't so hard.
I first started to learn pinch harmonics close to 4 years ago now. It took me a couple weeks before i ever got my first nice sounding harmonic aswell that i could replicate.
So 4 years later i'm still drastically improving my pinch harmonics.
It's basically a hit or miss technique.. Either you get it and it's awesome or you don't and well you don't, and everyone who knows you're trying to hit that harmonic is like yeah that guy tots just missed his pinch harmonic n00b.
I myself am quite a big admirer of players who can whip out a pinch harmonic at any time during there playing on whatever string and fret they want. A few players / bands come to mind.. **** you Killswitch Engage
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #29
sea`

Pinch harmonics aren't that hard to get once you have the basic technique of just touching the string with the side of your thumb. As others have said, Jazz IIIs and other small picks make it easier because your thumb will be closer to the string. Nowadays I can play pinch harmonics almost anywhere, any time I want, and rarely miss. People sometimes think of it as two separate motions - pick and touch - but you will have more success at it by simply angling your picking hand slightly and twisting it as you pick, all as one fluid motion.

What really takes time is just getting the locations down. It's all muscle memory and "feel" - you'll simply learn over a long period of time where all the harmonics are, or at least how you'll have to move your picking hand relative to your fretting hand. It's kind of lame but it really is one of those things where you'll just gradually get better at it as you do it - there is no magic bullet and you won't just be able to do it one day.

Last edited by sea` : 03-20-2013 at 12:16 AM.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: