Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Alowishus

Recording Hardware/Software Help

Hello!

I'll say from the outset that i've had a look through the stickied threads and I can't really find what I am looking for - mainly because it's not a specific situation but a combination of different ones.

I'll just briefly explain the situation. I want to record music by myself, so basically I want to record live guitar, live bass and live drums. I don't particularly want to have to use software to create drums but when I explain the rest it may become the better option.

My guitars and basses are in one room. My drums are in the garage. Basically I cannot bring my computer to the garage.

Basically what I am asking is: Is there a portable device which will let me record individual tracks, is portable and will let me record all three of those instruments without it becoming distorted and let me import those audio files onto my computer for editing and allow me to combine them?

I do realise that a microphone is needed so my follow up question is: Is there a microphone which will let me adequately record all three of those? Aka record off amps and live drums. I know drums, having played them for years, generally require the bass drum, snare etc. to get mic-ed individually but I know they are expensive and I'm just talking about something for beginning with - I don't really have the space for a studio or anything.

I mean I am not looking to create a sonic masterpiece here but I do realise that there is cheap crap out there which is useless. I don't want to be spending thousands of pounds but do you have any product suggestions?

I know there are four tracks or whatever but I didn't see anything about them? It all seems to be recording directly into computers. I have a track on my profile which unfortunately I don't know how to link. That quality but slightly better would be preferable. Again I am not looking for a professional studio quality.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. I apologise If I missed something in the stickies.

EDIT: Money isn't an issue but again I don't want to be spending a lot of money. Basically i'm willing to spend in total about 400-500 for both.

EDIT2: I mean there are things like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-DP-0...58982724&sr=8-1

But I don't know how good they are or if there are any sort of models which are good for what I stated above.

Last edited by Alowishus : 01-23-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Alowishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Multitrackers like you're asking about are discussed in the Interfaces sticky, I think they start at about the second or third post.

As you want something portable that can also be used as an interface, I'd recommend the Zoom R16 - it's a standalone multitracker that is also designed to work as an interface & controller for software recording packages.

You'll definitely want a few different mics though, probably either an SM57 or LDC for your guitar, I'm not sure about drums though as I've never recorded them. I've heard of people getting reasonable results from a pair of SDCs though. Obviously the ideal would be a set of drum mics, but you'd need a whole separate budget for that.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alowishus
Basically I cannot bring my computer to the garage.

Why not?

Seriously. I'd rather unhook and set up my computer in the garage a few times and spend my money on other stuff.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Alowishus

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Why not?

Seriously. I'd rather unhook and set up my computer in the garage a few times and spend my money on other stuff.

CT

Because my garage isn't attached to my house. It's a totally different structure. I have to use my computer to do work. There aren't enough power outlets. It's very cold and kind of damp in there - not good for electronics. I use my computer for gaming as well.

It's basically just too much hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Multitrackers like you're asking about are discussed in the Interfaces sticky, I think they start at about the second or third post.

As you want something portable that can also be used as an interface, I'd recommend the Zoom R16 - it's a standalone multitracker that is also designed to work as an interface & controller for software recording packages.

You'll definitely want a few different mics though, probably either an SM57 or LDC for your guitar, I'm not sure about drums though as I've never recorded them. I've heard of people getting reasonable results from a pair of SDCs though. Obviously the ideal would be a set of drum mics, but you'd need a whole separate budget for that.

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the SM57, it says that it does electric guitar and percussion on its website. I'll probably check it out. The R16 looks pretty sweet too!

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Last edited by Alowishus : 01-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Alowishus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: