Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Spend all your money on one guitar? Or spread the wealth?

Iíll try to keep this short and to the point. I have my Harley up for sale right now. Once it sells I need to pay a few bills, but then Iím going to use the rest of the cash to buy some new toys.

Iím trying to decide between the following:

Option 1
Pick up a used Gibson ES-335. It's an awesome guitar, but it would take up all my free cash.

Option 2
Pick up an Epiphone Sheraton II instead. Itís much cheaper, so Iíd have enough cash leftover to also pick up a used Gibson SG Standard and a second amp (Iím leaning towards a Fender Bassman). Iíd also get a set of 57 Classics to upgrade the Sheraton.

So what would you do? Spend all your money on a real Gibson ES-335? Or spread the wealth on a few different toys? Is the Sheraton good enough to keep me happy, especially since I could get another guitar and an amp on top of it? I'm torn...

For reference Ė I currently have a USA G&L Legacy that I run through a Marshall DSL100. I play a mix of stuff from indie to blues to rock, and I occasionally play at church. Anything I buy would be added to my current gear (I'm not getting rid of the G&L or the DSL).
Ovation IDea
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10

Last edited by 57Goldtop : 01-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.
57Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
mmolteratx
UG God

335, no doubt, out of those two options. If you're going to go for a few cheaper guitars, skip Epiphone and grab some MIJ Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, etc. gregs1020 or greeny_23 can help you more on that front than I can, but they're way better guitars than the Epiphones and in the same general price range.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
halfj06

I would go to abstore that has both and play them side be side and descide if the gibson is that much better in your hands. Also don't forget about gretsch's semi and hallows, I always thought they had a lot cooler vibe then gibson products
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Bhaok
The evil old man

If you are willing to spend that amount of money you really need to go out and try some guitars to see what you like. You just might find something totally off your radar that speaks to you. Sure you can take the lazy route and order blindly online but,why?

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaok
If you are willing to spend that amount of money you really need to go out and try some guitars to see what you like. You just might find something totally off your radar that speaks to you. Sure you can take the lazy route and order blindly online but,why?

This!

What if the many guitars sound better than just the one?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I've played all of these guitars enough to know that I like them. What I'm trying to decide is whether I want to spend all my free cash on one thing (the 335), or if it makes more sense to spread the wealth on a few things. Regardless of which path I choose I won't be buying blind. I've looked at some alternatives but these are the two options I keep coming back to.
Ovation IDea
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
skip Epiphone and grab some MIJ Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, etc. gregs1020 or greeny_23 can help you more on that front than I can, but they're way better guitars than the Epiphones and in the same general price range.

I've considered this too. And I agree that there are some good 335 alternatives out there. The only thing is they are usually harder to find locally and I'm hesitant to buy a guitar without playing it in person first.
Ovation IDea
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Soccerguy
Bloo

Why not look at a custom with that money? You seem to be interested in hollowbodies and I'm pretty sure you could afford a Carvin hollowbody with that sorta budget.
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

spread the wealth man

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
335, no doubt, out of those two options. If you're going to go for a few cheaper guitars, skip Epiphone and grab some MIJ Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, etc. gregs1020 or greeny_23 can help you more on that front than I can, but they're way better guitars than the Epiphones and in the same general price range.

+1

it's really a judgement call that can only be made by you.

It also depends on how many different tones you need. someone who only plays the same style of music would likely be better served by one killer guitar. But someone who needs a wide range of tones may well be better served with several different guitars (though obviously having twenty £100 guitars is probably silly no matter what tones you need).

also since you already have a killer guitar you're used to nice kit, so that's worth bearing in mind too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Silver Hilton
Old enough

Get the Epiphone, replace the pickups, and buy more toys. I have the sheraton. I replaced the pickups, nut and bridge, had the fretboard PLEK'd, and it's as nice as any 335 I have played, for less than half the money. Sure the wood isn't as pretty as a bookmatched 335, but where it counts, it's a playing machine.

Sheratons are just fine.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18

Last edited by Silver Hilton : 01-22-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
redandwhite12
red and also white

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
I would go to abstore that has both and play them side be side and descide if the gibson is that much better in your hands. Also don't forget about gretsch's semi and hallows, I always thought they had a lot cooler vibe then gibson products

The typical Gretsch sounds quiet a bit different from the guitar he wants. A lot more twangy and snappy when compared to the warm sweet tone of a 335.

I'd get the 335. Personally I think its a better idea to have one really good thing instead of a bunch of mediocre things. But that's just my opinion.

My Youtubez

http://www.youtube.com/user/redandwhite12?feature=mhee
redandwhite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Also think about the maintenance for having to clean and restring those multiple guitars.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz
Also think about the maintenance for having to clean and restring those multiple guitars.

Because that's a whole extra 10 minutes every couple of weeks

I'd go for option 2!

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz

That stuff doesn't usually bother me that much. I'm down to one guitar now but at one time I think I had about seven or eight. I'd line up a few cold beers, find something good on TV and just zone out while I clean/polish/restring. Although the guitars I've owned with floating trems or bigsbys were always a PITA to work on...
Ovation IDea

Last edited by 57Goldtop : 01-22-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

the sheratons I have played (2) were down on the quality side, although that could be a fluke. I suggest you go for a different 335 copy for the same price and take option 2.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz

Either way has its plusses and minuses.

If the Gibson 335 is your "Pearl of Great Price", buy it. You might never see as good a deal on one again.

OTOH, settling on one when you could have many can lead to regrets of the "I had an opportunity to broaden my collection and missed it" kind.

BOTH suck.

What does your current collection look like? Is it just the G&L? If so, you clearly like quality axes- go for the 335.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
ch1ng_chung

You should look into an Egnater Tweaker, that thing can make VOX tones better than an AC-15 and about every tone the DSL doesn't reach

It's like having 10 different amps in one, but i wouldn't call it a modeling amp because it also has its own tone
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
halfj06

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandwhite12
The typical Gretsch sounds quiet a bit different from the guitar he wants. A lot more twangy and snappy when compared to the warm sweet tone of a 335.

I'd get the 335. Personally I think its a better idea to have one really good thing instead of a bunch of mediocre things. But that's just my opinion.

Right the grestch sounds different, but for his choice genres of indie, blues and rock I think it fits the bill.. and has a distinct voice.. which Ive always felt gibson and especially epiphone fall short.
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Ever considered the Hagstrom Viking? A Deluxe (Tremar) costs around the same as the Epiphone, but, even at that price, it is still in the same league as a Gibson.

Rate This Thread: