Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Shadowraen

Need help picking out a first guitar!

So I'm about to get my first electric guitar. I'm going to play an all-around style with some bluesy stuff but definitely nothing too heavy/intense, and I'm pretty set on getting a Roland Micro Cube. With that in mind, which of these (or your own suggestion) would you say is the best for their price?

Epiphone w/ accessories: http://slo.craigslist.org/msg/3553266447.html
Epiphone Gibson SG with accessories: http://slo.craigslist.org/msg/3558365752.html
Dean Vendetta: http://slo.craigslist.org/msg/3495935638.html
Silvertone Les Paul Copy: http://slo.craigslist.org/msg/3469059424.html

thanks!
Shadowraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I'm guessing that you already play the acoustic? If so, then none of those. Go to Guitar Center and check out their used guitars.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Shadowraen

yeah I do. I would like to try out the guitars before I buy them, but unfortunately the nearest GC is literally 100 miles away. So since I can't, do you have any recommendations?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Korean made stuff is typically a step above the Chinese made stuff, so that's something to keep in mind. I really like Samicks. Samick is one of the Korean factories, and they make guitars for some of the big name brands, but they also make some of their own guitars under their name.

But I really can't recommend anything for you, since you haven't listed any preferences, or a maximum budget. I'm guessing that you don't have any preferences though, since it's your first electric. It would be very beneficial for you to go to a Guitar Center and figure out what you want, or smaller guitar store. Or perhaps even some local pawn shops, though pawn shops sometimes have outrageous prices.

Also, I wouldn't touch any of those guitars you listed.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Shadowraen

Wow really? Most people around here seem to like most of those. I don't have a strict max budget, but I'd like to spend no more than 200-250 on a used guitar, case, and amp. My preference would be a nice beginner guitar that can play most styles not including heavy metal, since I'll be playing little to none of that. Does that help? I stopped by a couple local stores, but their inventories are ridiculously small and overpriced. Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well, I personally would go for a Mexican Fender. But it's really just down to what you prefer. There are many guitars that will play the music you want, but whether or not you like them is a different story.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
supersac

a mim strat of tele would probably do everything you need it to
and would be in your range if you find it used

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Silver Hilton
Old enough

Another vote for a Mexican Fender Stratocaster. You can get them cheap. They're pretty durable, so they're hard to damage, so a used one is pretty safe. You can also get one, and fix it up into a really nice guitar for pretty cheap.

And if you decide you don't like it, you'll likely be able to sell it for close to what you paid.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
Shadowraen

quick sweep of ebay/craigslist found them a little above my price range, around 250. are any of these any good?

http://r.ebay.com/xMAMqd
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
narinderkapur

You could go for one of the guitars you listed, I'd personally pick the Epiphone since I have no idea about the other two, but if you do pick the Epiphones, start saving money immediately because you'll be frustrated with them in about a year at the most because of their cheap build, to be precise.

My first guitar was a Java, which was slightly better than the Epiphone (but the same build category, so not more than a year on that one too), so see if you can look those up. Otherwise a Squier Srat or a Made In Mexico Fender.

Have you also checked 'used' sections of guitar/music websites? I've seen good deals out there myself.
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah

I would go for the SG out those options, but would recommend looking at online as well
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
Shadowraen

Quote:
Originally Posted by narinderkapur
You could go for one of the guitars you listed, I'd personally pick the Epiphone since I have no idea about the other two, but if you do pick the Epiphones, start saving money immediately because you'll be frustrated with them in about a year at the most because of their cheap build, to be precise.

My first guitar was a Java, which was slightly better than the Epiphone (but the same build category, so not more than a year on that one too), so see if you can look those up. Otherwise a Squier Srat or a Made In Mexico Fender.

Have you also checked 'used' sections of guitar/music websites? I've seen good deals out there myself.

No, I've just been looking on eBay and Craigslist. Got any sites in particular to recommend?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
Shadowraen

Recently saw this beauty: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...nid=39397621590.
Any reason I shouldn't go for it? The colors are fantastic, they give me eyegasms. Plus I've heard it has good sound.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God

Agiles get good reviews around here. Anytime you see that pickups were upgraded at least take a shot to see if the seller will send you the originals as well. Most likely not in this case since it seems it was done before he got it.
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
racertj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertj5
Agiles get good reviews around here. Anytime you see that pickups were upgraded at least take a shot to see if the seller will send you the originals as well. Most likely not in this case since it seems it was done before he got it.

I forgot about Agile, but they are definitely worth looking into. Even a new Agile is worth the money. TS, check out Rondomusic for new Agiles, but I'd stay away from their other brands.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
Shadowraen

The page you linked to had the guitar I posted on it- so is that a "new, good" agile?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraen
I'd like to spend no more than 200-250 on a used guitar, case, and amp.

wait...overall? for all 3? that might be tough...how much is the roland cube you're getting?
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Shadowraen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
wait...overall? for all 3? that might be tough...how much is the roland cube you're getting?

50-75 dollars, depending on whether I get it on eBay or Craigslist.
The affordable options I'm looking at are basically:
Dean vendetta
Epiphone sg
Epiphone les Paul
Schecter Damien 6 (I'm watching one on eBay right now that's 170 so....)
Upgraded Agile al-2000 (personally, i like the look of this one best but it's the most expensive at 200+shipping)
Maybe squier bullet/affinity as well.

I've heard a lot of people saying MIM strat but it's a little too expensive for me.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
RedMist

I like the white SG the best out of those choices, but I would recommend saving your money and move up a level.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #20
narinderkapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraen
No, I've just been looking on eBay and Craigslist. Got any sites in particular to recommend?

Try Thomann. They're pretty good. Or use Google/Bing.
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: