Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
FirasKordi

noob Scales question

hey guys .... i just want to ask a fast question , should i learn a scale in all its keys all over the neck ?? or 1 key is enough ? ......and should i learn all its modes all over the neck too ?
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

yknow this one's just too easy
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Well the fretboard repeats, all scales cover all the fretboard.

Learn the major and minor scales al over the fretboard. Learn the notes on the fretboard at the same time and about keys so you know when to use them.

As for modes, they arent what you think they are so Id just focus on major and minor scales for now.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

A lot of people have different opinions on this but I really don't think that learning scales just by themselves is productive.

If you want to learn how to use your scales then listen to the sound and then do your best to incorporate the sounds/scales you like into your inner ear.

From that point it's all about composing in your head and training yourself to be able to transfer that onto the guitar immediately.

Last edited by dannydawiz : 02-15-2013 at 02:16 AM.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
20Tigers

Major scale across the entire fretboard in each key. If you learn the notes and scale degrees as you go then the first key might take a few weeks the next few keys will take less time and the rest will be learned without much effort at all.

Start with the key of C. Then the key of G. Then the key of D. Then the key of A. Then the key of E. Then the key of B. Then the key of F# (Gb) then the key of (C#) Db. Then the key of Ab then the key of Bb then the key of F.

As AlanHB pointed out the fretboard repeats as do the major scale patterns. So when you learn the notes of C major and the patterns across the entire fretboard when you go to G you should notice some similarities in the patterns and notes. By the time you get to the Key of E the rest should only take a day or so to learn.

Then learn the minor scales - Start with Am then Em then Bm then F#m then C#m then G#m then D#m (Ebm) then Bbm then Fm then Cm then Gm then Dm.
These should not take you very long because their relationship with the major scale should become apparent quickly. But when learning them you should again focus on the scale degrees as well as the notes and learn how the harmonic and melodic minor scales make the minor scale a "flexible scale" with variable sixth and seventh scale degrees.

Of course this should make up part but not all of your practice sessions.

What I found useful was learning some simple vocal melodies on the guitar. By simple vocal melodies I mean vocal melodie that stick mostly to the scale and span an octave or maybe an octave and a half in range. This shows how the notes that we find in the scales come together in real musical examples.

Then start analysing some of the more complex melodies (instrumental solos and more complex vocal melodies) that span a greater range and use more notes from within that range including notes from outside those normally found in the scale.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
cdgraves

Not hard to learn all 12.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

okay really nobody's said it yet?

scales don't have keys, keys have scales

you don't learn all the keys in a scale. you learn each key and the scale just happens to fall in line with it
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
D..W..

Other people have given good info... but for your original question of if one key is enough- do you plan to only ever play in one key, and hope anyone you play with only plays in that key too?

It's easy enough just to move the shape around and have learned in all the keys. But I would suggest learning the notes too like people said, rather then just the shapes. It's most important in relation to the major scale I think, since once you've memorised that and understand what notes are in each key, and know the notes on the fretboard, you don't need to think in terms of a boxed/closed scale pattern, and can just play what you know will work.
D..W.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
FirasKordi

guys thanks alot for all the replies , can u give me a website that contains the patterns of each scale in all keys ??
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
a2sas2in

I dont think you understand what a key is... Its something you unlock a door with xD. Jk. But the key is played the same nomatter what on any part of the guitar, like the major is played as NOTE-1-1-1/2-1-1-1-1/2
a2sas2in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2sas2in
I dont think you understand what a key is...

you really just should've stopped here

Rate This Thread: