Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Robsterling24

Guitar Lesson Advice?????

Hi everyone,

I have been playing the guitar for years and only just started having lessons to advance my playing. The teacher I have has been teaching me various songs which is nice but not that much theory plus very little 'homework'. We have touched on major scales and last week, the mixolydian.

I have watched a million videos on youtube and wanted to know if anyone could suggest the best order to learn it in ie. 1st) all shapes of the majors (or just one shape for now), 2nd) Pentatonic scales, 3rd) learn all notes on the fretbaord etc etc etc........

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

Rob
Robsterling24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Your teacher? Thats a serious answer. If he's not giving you these tips get a new one. Or at least ask for them.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

For Christ sake don't try to learn one, then learn the other, then the next or you'll never get anywhere.
Rather: In each practice session devote some time to doing one, some time to doing the other, some time to the other, &c.

"All the shapes of the majors" shouldn't be your long-term goal. This is because "all the shapes of the majors" encompasses so many possible patterns you'd never be able to learn them in one lifetime. Srs. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of ways of playing any given scale.
Your long-term goal should be to know (a) some stock patterns and (b) how to play a major scale anywhere on the fretboard you choose.
So your initial goal is to learn a couple of basic major-scale patterns to get you started learning scales, help you coordinate between your left and right hands, and get all your left-hand fingers working as a unit.
Once you can play those patterns at a slow-moderate speed without making mistakes then move onto learning the 'insides' of the major scale and start working out your own shapes. As you're doing this learn further stock-patterns.

There's no mystery to learning all the notes on the fretboard, it just takes a bit of effort.

Go to google. Type in 'guitar fretboard'. Switch to images. Pick one that has all the names of the notes on it. E.g.. Print it off. Pick 3 notes (e.g. C, D, G). For 5 minutes a day practice finding those 3 notes - refer to your printed sheet. Continue to do this for a week. After a week switch to another 3 notes. Continue to do that until you've got round all the notes there are. Continue round the loop until you no longer need the chart in order to find notes on the fretboard. After that, switch to finding the notes in a triad, then 7th chords, 9th chords, 11th chords, 13 chords. When you've done all that come back and ask for further advice. If you're doing it properly I reckon it'll take you the best part of 2-3 years.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Robsterling24

Thanks Sleepy__Head
Robsterling24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsterling24
Hi everyone,

I have been playing the guitar for years and only just started having lessons to advance my playing. The teacher I have has been teaching me various songs which is nice but not that much theory plus very little 'homework'. We have touched on major scales and last week, the mixolydian.

Has he touched on intervals and the staff yet?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Has he touched your knee yet?
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

If the teacher isn't teaching what you want to learn, maybe tell him that you want to learn technique or theory and not the songs. He's teaching you so you decide what your goals as a guitarist/musician are and the teacher can teach you those things. You can decide what you want the teacher to teach you to play.

I mean you could just ask all these questions from your teacher. That's why you are taking lessons.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
cbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
If the teacher isn't teaching what you want to learn, maybe tell him that you want to learn technique or theory and not the songs. He's teaching you so you decide what your goals as a guitarist/musician are and the teacher can teach you those things. You can decide what you want the teacher to teach you to play.

I mean you could just ask all these questions from your teacher. That's why you are taking lessons.

This is definetly something your teacher should be helping you with.

I'd like to add: shapes, scales etc are great but please, please, please don't forget that music is AUDITORY and not VISUAL. Learn theory to give order to what you HEAR. I got stuck in the learning every scale, shape etc when I started and it didn't do much except teach me to play up and down shapes. It took me a long time to realize I had to internalize what the major scale etc sounded like and not just looked like as a shape on the guitar neck. Anyone can learn and memorize the 5 shapes of the pentatonic and about an hour. It takes a lot longer (for most) but ends up being a lot more beneficial if you slow down and realize what a minor pentatonic sounds like.

EDIT - Didn't really help answer your question.

The correct order is whatever you're interested in. You mentioned you've been playing songs - have you come across a song, or section of a song that made you stop and say, "that sounds interesting, I wonder what's going on there?". When that happens, look into the theory of that particular song. Rinse and repeat and you'll know all the theory you'll ever need. NEVER look into how to play the flat mixolodyean turkish minor scale when you want to play and understand AC/DC songs. That's not to say you'll never be interested in more obscure theory, just that you should learn theory to complement you're interest in music and not the other way around.

Last edited by cbara : 01-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.
cbara is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: