Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
chatterbox272

Ultra low budget recording

Firstly, apologies if this belongs somewhere else. There's more to this than wanting crit (although I would love some crit), and it didn't really feel like it belonged in original or cover recordings so apologies if it should've been there.

Now onto the thread. Seeing as the majority of people coming here are focusing on low budget recording, I set myself a little challenge. To record and mix a cover, using nothing but free VSTs, REAPER, and my headset (not mixing headphones, just a normal gaming headset). That is, I have tried to do this spending as little money as possible ($0-$60 depending on whether REAPER is actually purchased or the trial. Mine is purchased).

https://soundcloud.com/brad-ezard/c...elia-using-vsti

So lets go through how I went about it. Firstly I picked the song - Caraphernelia by Pierce the Veil - because I had wanted to try doing a vocal cover of it with a friend but I wanted an instrumental backing. Then I started work on the guitars.

How I did the guitars

How I did the bass

How I did the 'other' instruments

How I did the drums

what I did to the master

Just goes to show what you can do if you are willing to spend the time, although I'm probably going to listen back to this later and realise how bad it is but hey it was a fun challenge.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
marcelaguiar

So, you post this thread about what you acheived but dont give us a link to your recording? I'd like to hear the quality of it.
marcelaguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelaguiar
So, you post this thread about what you acheived but dont give us a link to your recording? I'd like to hear the quality of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
It's right there.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I really have to try this sometime. Hydrogen runs on Windows now? The times, they are a-changin'.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
chatterbox272

It's an alpha version, but it's been alpha for ages and I've only had it crash once in the 2 years I've used it. It actually is quite a fun challenge to do, if I were to do it again I would spend more time on the drums, find some better banks and pick out the best from each but I was low on downloads so I was stuck with the ones I already had. I'd also spend some time humanizing them (something I completely forgot this time).

Quote:

Rate This Thread: