Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Caaarrl94

Getting started fingerpicking...

I've been practicing some really basic fingerpicking lately just doing little hammer ons and pulloffs etc.

Now I think i'm ready for my first challenge.

I'd like to learn a song by either 'Tallest Man on Earth' or 'Ben Howard' since they're my main influences/inspiration.

I'm just not too sure where to start, because I know if I just go charging in picking any song i'll just get frustrated.

So I ask you...
If you're familiar with either artist, which of their songs would you recommend I start by learning?

open tunings are fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
SageMusic

I don't know Ben Howard, but the Tallest Man on Earth is great! If you are worried about being frustrated with fingerpicking, as a beginner, I would learn a few fingerpicking patterns such as travis picking, before trying to do the tallest man on earth.

His stuff is not overly complicated, but it has a lot of variation which would probably be the most difficult thing to learn, given that you don't know so many patterns yet. Once you have practiced a few patters, then it will be easier to switch between several patterns that you already know within the song. Otherwise everything will seem new, which may be overwhelming and difficult.

Hope that helps!
SageMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

THIS is fingerpicking.

Edit:
Ok i realized it has nothing to do with the topic. damnit.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
TomDoobles

Hey there Carl.

I started fingerpicking a 3-4 months ago, and like you I'm a big fan of TMOE and Ben Howard. I tried jumping straight into TMOE and realised I had no chance, so I decided to try and learn some Ben Howard songs which went a bit smoother. I would recomend "Promise" by Ben as its a beautiful song and actualy my favourite! "Old Pine" is also a good one to learn.

Be aware that both these artists rarely use standard tuning and often use cappos. Also Ben uses alot of percusive slaps and strums which might seem a bit hard to begin with but eventualy they'll flow naturaly.

Tom.

EDIT
Also wanted to mention "Bella" by Angus and Julia Stone is a nice little song that uses a common picking pattern that I think would be a very good song to practice with.

Last edited by TomDoobles : 01-23-2013 at 09:20 PM.
TomDoobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
mrmojorisin420

mrmojorisin420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Caaarrl94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoobles
Hey there Carl.

I started fingerpicking a 3-4 months ago, and like you I'm a big fan of TMOE and Ben Howard. I tried jumping straight into TMOE and realised I had no chance, so I decided to try and learn some Ben Howard songs which went a bit smoother. I would recomend "Promise" by Ben as its a beautiful song and actualy my favourite! "Old Pine" is also a good one to learn.

Be aware that both these artists rarely use standard tuning and often use cappos. Also Ben uses alot of percusive slaps and strums which might seem a bit hard to begin with but eventualy they'll flow naturaly.

Tom.

EDIT
Also wanted to mention "Bella" by Angus and Julia Stone is a nice little song that uses a common picking pattern that I think would be a very good song to practice with.

Thanks man, that is a great song.
I can play King of Spain no bother and it sounds great
I learnt the little chorus riff to 'Love is All' by TMOE which was quite challenging at first, but i think it's purely a muscle memory thing that makes it hard.

Thanks for the advice though!

Rate This Thread: