Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
TommyGunn9999

Question Best Guitar for Songwriting??

Hi, I am primarily an electric guitarist but I own a couple dreadnaught acoustics (6 and 12 string). I am just getting into songwriting and wanted to know what kind of guitar you typically reach for when you get a burst of inspiration. I was thinking about buying a parlor size nylon string guitar so it's small, convenient, and quieter for those late night hours (I live in an apartment).

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks
TommyGunn9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
KidCanary

It doesn't make any difference.

Songwriting comes from your head, not your guitar. As long as you've got something that stays (relatively) in tune and is comfortable to play then you've got all you need.
KidCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
izzyvercetty
Rock 'n Rolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanary
It doesn't make any difference.

Songwriting comes from your head, not your guitar. As long as you've got something that stays (relatively) in tune and is comfortable to play then you've got all you need.

this

I normally write on acoustic, but it really depends. Sometime I get inspiration while practicing on my electric and build from there. Whatever guitar i happen to have near when i have an idea stuck in my head.
izzyvercetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
azrael4h

If the song popping in my head has a sound suited toward one guitar or another, I will grab that guitar. However, most of the time, I simply grab whatever's handy and work it out from there. Today, I snatched my Martin to work on something I had pop in my head at church, as the sound I wanted comes from a 6 string acoustic. Though now I'm wondering about whether I want to try it on electric, but that's another thread. Other times, I may grab my Blacktop since I never have bought a case for it, and it's the easiest guitar to get out (for some reason the strap on my 12 string acoustic always tangles around something in my closet where the guitars are kept).
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Green_Ghoul

I usually grab whichever guitar is closest to me. It makes no difference since they're all electric anyway, but I'll write unplugged to make sure it sounds all right "acoustically"

Then I'll work on tweaking the distortion/fuzz/whatever.

However, sometimes if I find effects settings that I really like, I'll write based on those...Usually only with the shoegaze stuff that I've been working on more recently.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: