Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Sir-Shredalot
Banned

Guitar Repair Horrors

So i have a student who bought a harrible Encore les paul. Dreadful guitar, which was made better by his mum dropping it down the stairs.

Headstock came off and was in shreds. Disregading my advice they took it to a tech who charged more than the guitars value for a repair. Literally didnt stay in tune for 2 minutes. Felt like smashing it over his head.

The headstock came off again and he charged them an additional fee to reglue it.

Came off again, and they are trying to fix it at home now with wood glue and a vice.

Whats the worst damage or repair youve witnessed?
Sir-Shredalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
SaneMan
Banned

This thread.
SaneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneMan
This thread.

Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
LeviMan_2001

Well I've seen smashed guitars, but they weren't attempted to repair. I can't actually imagine worse than this. I've got a 12 string acoustic that needs the bracing in the top repaired as well as the bridge replaced. I think I'll have to take the top off to do this.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
DESTROYER5000
Banned

The music store that I frequent had somebody bring in a guitar where the neck had a scarf joint and it had a locknut that was begining to split the headstock and the scarf joint had broken.
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Shredalot
So i have a student who bought a harrible Encore les paul. Dreadful guitar, which was made better by his mum dropping it down the stairs.

Headstock came off and was in shreds. Disregading my advice they took it to a tech who charged more than the guitars value for a repair. Literally didnt stay in tune for 2 minutes. Felt like smashing it over his head.

The headstock came off again and he charged them an additional fee to reglue it.

Came off again, and they are trying to fix it at home now with wood glue and a vice.

Whats the worst damage or repair youve witnessed?

Where were you for advice on this to your student/parents? Did you advise them to get a diff guitar and just scrap the broken one?
If you did then you tried to warn them. If not your at fault and will have to deal with it
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: