User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
madhuds

Question Things to look out when buying a used guitar

Hi All,

Thanks to all those who provided inputs/suggestions for my previous post

What I left covering in my earlier question was to get your suggestions on what to look out for or pay attention when buying a used electric guitar.

I will be visiting the seller(s) this weekend to have a look at the Ibanez RG370DX and Jackson KVX10 King V. Any inputs before is appreciated.

Thanks, Madhu
madhuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
shreddymcshred

play every single fret to check for a buzz. Buzz is a symptom of poor maintenance or construction.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

Pull the strings apart and check the fretwear as well. Major gouges are sometimes easy to miss and can be costly to repair.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
katalyzt13

I bought an acoustic guitar one time and discovered when I went to adjust the truss rod that it had snapped and the cavity had been filled with some kind of glue...
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Jack2596

Jack2596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
stonyman65
Unregistered User

I just spent the last 15 minutes just writing a 7-paragraph post going into detail about all of this. For some reason, UG deleted my post and I can't get it back. As much as I'd like to help, I'm not typing that all again.

So here is the abridged version:

Make sure that there are no cracks on the back of the neck around the nut area. Some guitars (Ibanez, for example) have very thin necks and at times this would cause the area to crack around where the bolts attaching the nut went through the back of the neck. Make sure there are no cracks. In extreme cases this can cause the headstock to snap off, or at the very least the guitar wouldn't stay in tune.

Make sure the truss rod works properly and the neck is straight and not bowed forwards or backwards.

Make sure there are no serious cracks around high-stress areas like the bridge, neck joint, headstock, or the neck itself. (and the whole guitar in general)

Make sure the hardware and screws isn't rusted/stripped out and is of good quality.

Make sure the frets are all level with each other and there are no high or low spots or serious nicks or gouges.

Make sure all of the electronics work and the pickups aren't microphonic. Check all solder joints and make sure they are clean and connected properly.

Make sure there aren't any serious finishing scratches or chips/dings. This can usually be fixed with some buffing/refinishing or minor woodworking, but something really nasty probably can't be fixed that easily. At the very least, make sure it's something you are okay living with if it can't be fixed.

Make sure the guitar sounds good, plays good, stays in tune and is worth the asking price.

If the deal seems too good to be true... That means it usually is. Buyer beware.

**** You UG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyman65
I just spent the last 15 minutes just writing a 7-paragraph post going into detail about all of this. For some reason, UG deleted my post and I can't get it back. As much as I'd like to help, I'm not typing that all again.

So here is the abridged version:

Make sure that there are no cracks on the back of the neck around the nut area. Some guitars (Ibanez, for example) have very thin necks and at times this would cause the area to crack around where the bolts attaching the nut went through the back of the neck. Make sure there are no cracks. In extreme cases this can cause the headstock to snap off, or at the very least the guitar wouldn't stay in tune.

Make sure the truss rod works properly and the neck is straight and not bowed forwards or backwards.

Make sure there are no serious cracks around high-stress areas like the bridge, neck joint, headstock, or the neck itself. (and the whole guitar in general)

Make sure the hardware and screws isn't rusted/stripped out and is of good quality.

Make sure the frets are all level with each other and there are no high or low spots or serious nicks or gouges.

Make sure all of the electronics work and the pickups aren't microphonic. Check all solder joints and make sure they are clean and connected properly.

Make sure there aren't any serious finishing scratches or chips/dings. This can usually be fixed with some buffing/refinishing or minor woodworking, but something really nasty probably can't be fixed that easily. At the very least, make sure it's something you are okay living with if it can't be fixed.

Make sure the guitar sounds good, plays good, stays in tune and is worth the asking price.

If the deal seems too good to be true... That means it usually is. Buyer beware.

**** You UG

^ all of that.

I would also add a bit about checking the guitars worth. A lot of people will try to over charge for their guitars, or they will refer to incorrectly such as referring to their Squier as a Fender, or Calling their Epiphone a Gibson to try and milk a bit more money out of unsuspecting buyers.

As a rule when I see this kind of stuff I just bypass it.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
^ all of that.

I would also add a bit about checking the guitars worth. A lot of people will try to over charge for their guitars, or they will refer to incorrectly such as referring to their Squier as a Fender, or Calling their Epiphone a Gibson to try and milk a bit more money out of unsuspecting buyers.

As a rule when I see this kind of stuff I just bypass it.

Word. Gotta look out for that too.

I remember seeing someone link to a Craigslist ad for a guy selling a "Gibson Epiphone SG" for like $2,000.

It was one of the $200 bolt-on neck models

I had ****ing tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard.

Quote:
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Arjun_M

Just how reliable is the used guitar portal on Guitar Center? I find several delicious deals when I look for something used, and I can save loads of money buying here, but that portal isn't very user-friendly. Poor spelling, wrong images (an ES-355 for an entry that says "Jackson Soloist"- and another that says "Jackson Solist") and sometimes, wrong names or even dubious entries (some Jackson Soloists are modded DX-10Ds) makes it a bit harder. Luckily, people living in the USA can ride to the nearby GC and call for something. I'm not so lucky, but I may be forced to buy one used online and have the local tech fix it for action, truss rod adjustment and fretwork.
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

I've heard bad things about the RG370DX's Edge III tremolo. Apparently, it doesn't stay in tune well

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz
I've heard bad things about the RG370DX's Edge III tremolo. Apparently, it doesn't stay in tune well

I think they've stopped using those now. I'm pretty sure they did a running change over to the Edge Zero II. From everything I've hard, it's much better but not quite up to the standards of whats on the Japanese models.

Stay away from the Edge Pro II, Edge III, Lo-TRS and Lo-TRS II. Everything else is okay.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
desperatechris
Banned

Check out for seamen.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
samuraigoomba

Know the market worth of the guitar you want. Feel free to pay that much, but don't pay more. Like another poster said, a LOT of guitar owners try to get most or all of their money back for guitars they bought new, and they will post guitars for much more than they are worth. I see it constantly on craigslist.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I agree with others about the Edge III so make sure that Ibanez stays in tune. If it doens't, it probably means the trem is worn out.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun_M
Just how reliable is the used guitar portal on Guitar Center?

Very reliable. I have bought a few guitars and basses from them. I cal the store and ask a million questions still, just to make sure the frets are good.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: