Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #81
koalabacon
Registered User
 
koalabacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Since when is everybody cool with racist and sexist jokes?


Since Family Guy became one of the most popular and well received shows on television.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.




founder of the We Are Ginger group. Pm me to join if you're a redhead.

Like the band Tool? Want to see a street art series based on the song Jambi? Check out my art.

koalabacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #82
adamgur96
Not caring no more
 
adamgur96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
They can all be funny


Pretty much this.
__________________
I put my sig in a spoiler because i view UG sigless anyway.
adamgur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #83
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack
 
StewieSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
No, because we are not pack animals now. Specialisation is what allows for an advanced society.



Specialization is also still a new concept in homo history. And anyway, so what? There's still the possibility of a 'holdover' trait, like wisdom teeth or shroom dicks.
__________________
wait, are sigs back?
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #84
JayT44
all my verses is poetry
 
JayT44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Third page, so this threads probably long been de-railed and about something else entirely, but I'm gonna answer the title question.


Sexism and racism are okay to joke about because they are issues in which all of society had made decisions to treat these people this way, which is totally wrong. When sexist or racist jokes are told, it's not because the one telling the joke supports these issues, but that they're given comedic value because of how asinine and utterly stupid a practice these things were, and they were common principles. The funniest jokes are about the issues that people build walls up against. Sexism and racism are massively stupid things to practice.

Mental ******ation isn't controlled by society, and it's the result of something horrible gone wrong in the child, the mother who beared the child, or both. It's not their fault they're born that way, and you shouldn't treat them as a sexist would a woman, or as a racist would a black man, that's completely wrong.

My two cents.
__________________
daytripper75
Bullieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
JayT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #85
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Specialization is also still a new concept in homo history. And anyway, so what? There's still the possibility of a 'holdover' trait, like wisdom teeth or shroom dicks.


So you're saying it's an outdated tendency that we acquired evolutionarily?

What I found offensive about that comment is the implication that bullying the mentally ill is in the interests of society in modern society. If he meant it's something we acquired and have no use for now, I'd agree. If he meant it's something he thinks is good for society now, I'd vehemently disagree.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #86
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack
 
StewieSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
So you're saying it's an outdated tendency that we acquired evolutionarily?



I'm saying it's a possibility that we can't just discard because the thought makes us uncomfortable. That's all.
__________________
wait, are sigs back?
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #87
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
I'm saying it's a possibility that we can't just discard because the thought makes us uncomfortable. That's all.


Yeah, I'd agree with that view. There is a form of misguided social darwinism advocated by those who want to justify their bullying though.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #88
koalabacon
Registered User
 
koalabacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
Third page, so this threads probably long been de-railed and about something else entirely, but I'm gonna answer the title question.


Sexism and racism are okay to joke about because they are issues in which all of society had made decisions to treat these people this way, which is totally wrong. When sexist or racist jokes are told, it's not because the one telling the joke supports these issues, but that they're given comedic value because of how asinine and utterly stupid a practice these things were, and they were common principles. The funniest jokes are about the issues that people build walls up against. Sexism and racism are massively stupid things to practice.

Mental ******ation isn't controlled by society, and it's the result of something horrible gone wrong in the child, the mother who beared the child, or both. It's not their fault they're born that way, and you shouldn't treat them as a sexist would a woman, or as a racist would a black man, that's completely wrong.

My two cents.


I work for a social justice hall at my college. I'm going to share this idea.

I've always had this problem - I enjoy crude humor but I know too many people who believe because I enjoy it, therefore I must be racist/sexist/etc.

thanks for sharing!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.




founder of the We Are Ginger group. Pm me to join if you're a redhead.

Like the band Tool? Want to see a street art series based on the song Jambi? Check out my art.

koalabacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #89
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack
 
StewieSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
Yeah, I'd agree with that view. There is a form of misguided social darwinism advocated by those who want to justify their bullying though.




Definitely.


I don't think that's what the poster was trying to suggest, though.
__________________
wait, are sigs back?
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #90
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Tempoe, sorry if I got you wrong, I'm a bit touchy about this subject.

Cheers stewie for being patient and reasonable
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #91
JayT44
all my verses is poetry
 
JayT44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabacon
I work for a social justice hall at my college. I'm going to share this idea.

I've always had this problem - I enjoy crude humor but I know too many people who believe because I enjoy it, therefore I must be racist/sexist/etc.

thanks for sharing!

__________________
daytripper75
Bullieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
JayT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #92
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
 
JohnnyGenzale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I put taking the piss out of spackers on the same level as women and foreigners.


best first reply in quite a while, gj tom.
__________________
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #93
20Tigers
1
 
20Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Didn't read all five pages.

Inclusion is important.

Humour that involves race, gender, or disability is okay if it is done in the right way. I can't quite put into words but I'll try and no doubt it will come across all wrong...

If you can intelligently highlight differences between certain people in a way that treats them like equals then it can be okay. What you can't do is put them down and laugh about it. You also have to have a certain element of fairness in that you are just as willing to absolutely humiliate yourself.

People will always be offended by these kinds of jokes but if you tweet about a disabled guy there is a difference between making a joke and treating him like a joke. If you don't understand the difference you shouldn't be doing either.

As an example South Park use all sorts of things to make humour. They have Token Black, they also have Jimmy and Timmy. But if you watch the programme although it finds ways to use the unique attributes of each kid to elicit humur, the underlying message if you watch the programme is that these are just kids like all the other kids. The rest of the South Park kids never treat them as outcasts but as valued individuals just as they treat every other kid.

As a parent of a highly dependant child with special needs I see the difference between this kind of thing and when some teenager pulls spastic faces when he sees my daughter. Hopefully he sees the difference too after I leave him with two black eyes.

It's like when you rip on your friends. You should be able to rip on anyone but ONLY if you see them as your equal and as being a unique person worthy of your respect and time. This requires intelligence and understanding and it will come through in the kind of humour you use.

Chances are you were just being a disrespectful douchebag in your tweet.
__________________
Si
20Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #94
cptcomet
Band
 
cptcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
I feel for the old black wheelchair bound women of the world.
__________________
455 75 34 88

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #95
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
 
JohnnyGenzale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
blind black men can't play hockey because they're black
__________________
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #96
20Tigers
1
 
20Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
^This thread is for the discussion of specific kinds of humour. It is not an excuse to spread bad racial jokes, or any other kind of bad taste jokes about minorities.
__________________
Si
20Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #97
jrcsgtpeppers
Registered User
 
jrcsgtpeppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: strawberry fields
Your question is wrong. Your question is the answer itself. You obviously don't think its right to talk about racism and sexism but you are knowingly bringing up a different idea all together, mental illness, and asking why its not okay to make fun of the mentally ill? You're a troll breh.

To continue my comment mentally ill people aren't something you want to be, where as race and sex are things that anyone can equally be. Normal things. It's normal to be black but it isnt normal to have downs syndrome. Your question is so obvious why bother making this thread? You're that bored? Maybe that's cuz you aren't interesting and think about facebook all day.
__________________
Progressive Electronic Jazz Metal
Totally Tubular
jrcsgtpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #98
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
 
Skynyrd890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Didn't read all five pages.

Inclusion is important.

Humour that involves race, gender, or disability is okay if it is done in the right way. I can't quite put into words but I'll try and no doubt it will come across all wrong...

If you can intelligently highlight differences between certain people in a way that treats them like equals then it can be okay. What you can't do is put them down and laugh about it. You also have to have a certain element of fairness in that you are just as willing to absolutely humiliate yourself.

People will always be offended by these kinds of jokes but if you tweet about a disabled guy there is a difference between making a joke and treating him like a joke. If you don't understand the difference you shouldn't be doing either.

As an example South Park use all sorts of things to make humour. They have Token Black, they also have Jimmy and Timmy. But if you watch the programme although it finds ways to use the unique attributes of each kid to elicit humur, the underlying message if you watch the programme is that these are just kids like all the other kids. The rest of the South Park kids never treat them as outcasts but as valued individuals just as they treat every other kid.

As a parent of a highly dependant child with special needs I see the difference between this kind of thing and when some teenager pulls spastic faces when he sees my daughter. Hopefully he sees the difference too after I leave him with two black eyes.

It's like when you rip on your friends. You should be able to rip on anyone but ONLY if you see them as your equal and as being a unique person worthy of your respect and time. This requires intelligence and understanding and it will come through in the kind of humour you use.

Chances are you were just being a disrespectful douchebag in your tweet.


I do agree.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Bitch idiot children
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #99
Zombee
UG Newbie
 
Zombee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Lost Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Humour that involves race, gender, or disability is okay if it is done in the right way. I can't quite put into words but I'll try and no doubt it will come across all wrong...

People will always be offended by these kinds of jokes but if you tweet about a disabled guy there is a difference between making a joke and treating him like a joke. If you don't understand the difference you shouldn't be doing either.


This is probably the best way to look at it.
__________________
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Zombee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #100
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
I think it comes down to the idea that people think they have a right not to be offended.
__________________
I've been selling crack since, like, the fifth grade
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.