Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
dazzzer30

C major Pentatonic Scale help

Need some advise When playing C major pentatonic scales on the 8 fret it makes sense to me in the order of notes - c,d,e,g,a. When I play piano scales I always start with the scale note firsts, so I cant understand if your play the c scale pattern on the 5th fret it’s a,c,d,e,g,a which is in the order of A minor in order for this to be a “C” scale wouldn’t the first note you play need to be a C -. .

I was also thinking staying with the C major pentatonic scale if you look at the pattern on the 3rd fret g,a,c,d,e,g or 2,4,2,4,1,4,1,4,2,4,2,4 it has all the notes of the C major pentatonic scale but starts with G on the “E” string in the pattern scale. So if your playing the C major pentatonic scale pattern on the 3rd fret do you start on the note” C” first when playing it , I am quite new to guitar the first thing I have done is try and get to know the notes on the fret board which seems a lot harder to do than on piano, now I have come across scale patterns which seems a good thing to learn . so I hope I am not doing anyone’s head in here but any advise would help and also is the way I am thinking about the scales right or am I way off track on this?
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

It doesn't matter where you play things, what order you play things in or what note you start on.

If you're using the notes C D E G A and your music is in the key of C major then that's the C major pentatonic scale regardelss of what you do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Fretboard Phil

Above is correct. Too add to it, I started on piano and was confused by the same thing. To compare to the piano, think of the scale as starting on the C, wherever it is on the fretboard and going up and down from there except that it would be like if your keyboard ended where you run out of room on the guitar, it is like your piano keyboard ended. When I practice these on the guitar, I start on the C and go up, then back down past the C so that I get the sound of it centered on the C in my head.
Fretboard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
It doesn't matter where you play things, what order you play things in or what note you start on.

If you're using the notes C D E G A and your music is in the key of C major then that's the C major pentatonic scale regardelss of what you do with it.

agree but when your doing pentatonic scales the pattens could be C major or A minor like a,c,d,e,g,a,c, this comes under c major pentatonic and A minor which is confusing because i wouldnt play notes A C D E G A C in the key of C major because it is more minor .

Last edited by dazzzer30 : 01-26-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

No the patterns don't matter, they mean nothing.

What does matter is your harmony, the context you're using those sounds in. But that's all that matters, what things sound like - the physical things, where you're playing, shapes etc, they're irrelevant when it comes to defining things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: