Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
ikey_

food for thought on if your pedals are true bypass

i was re-doing my pedal board yesterday and realized that when i got it all hooked up, i connected my loop backwards.

my delay was going the right direction, but the sound was going INTO the OUTPUTS of my Xotic and my Lovepedal!

regardless, the sounds went through fine and was just as transparent as ever....until you click on one of the two. of course then its not working.

point being, sound was going straight through back to the amp no problem. i was actually impressed. try that with a BOSS!!!

how many of your pedals are true bypass?

i still have to question if this is 100% true hardwire bypass or the electronics can still be in the circuit and let tone pass through?
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Roc8995

Being able to use a pedal backwards is not what I'd call a useful or impressive feature. Sort of a novelty I guess.

The good part with mechanical true bypass though is that if a battery or power supply dies you can still get sound through it, so it might save your ass if your battery dies mid-gig. Anything buffered will not pass sound if the battery dies. Some relayed TBP pedals will default to bypass if the power dies, but some do not.

And no, the definition of true bypass is that the electronics are not in the circuit.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Basically, True Bypass or Buffered are basically going to be a situational and opinion situation. Personally, in my loop, I want true bypass. This way, it's all transparent and if anything fails, I still get sound. Really, I prefer true bypass in general because of this.

However, there are times that buffered is the way to go, simply because it gives you a signal boost. The more cable you run, the more signal you lose, and treble goes first with that. It sucks your tone. Having a signal boost in there (like a buffered pedal) lets you rub mroe cable. So, if you're running a 21' cable frmo your guitar to your pedalboard, then running 5 or 6 pedals, then another 10 or 21' cable from the pedalboard to your amp, or if your pedals in your loop are run that far away, having a buffered pedal saves you from needing to buy a signal boost, if you can deal with the tone coloration. Personally, I currently like that my Wah is buffered for that reason, although it adds a butt-load of noise.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Van Noord
Deactivated

Yeah, TB pedals are not all they are cracked up to be. Big pedal boards need non TB pedals. Multiple TB pedals in line will create major tone suckage.
I only use two pedals. Only one is TB. The other is on all the time, so that one doesn't matter.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
ikey_

naw i never said i consider running it backwards a useful feature, its just many people claim TB...i suppose of a pedal can do what i did (accidentally), then it really is in reality TB.

i agree with the non TB thing. however, i find these days most good pedals ARE TB, and its hard to get a pedal with a decent buffer.

i feel like boutique makers make all pedals TB and if you want a buffer, you buy a seperate buffer pedal for like 50-100 bucks.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: