Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Absent Skies EP - Full (Proggish) Melodic Metalcore EP [C4C]

So, after a bunch of time, I'm more or less happy with enough songs to record my solo project EP. There are rooms for tweaks here and there but I'm happy enough.

I'd love to know what you guys think, as I'm at that point where I'm wondering if I wasted my time or not!

Of course I will be c4cing. If you'd like to know more info about the stuff then just ask.

All files are in gp5 format, if you want other formats, just ask!

There are 5 tracks in total, don't feel like you have to listen to all of them if you don't want to.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Absent Skies EP.zip (26.9 KB, 195 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
ilitmyselfonf

can i have them in .wav please. I don't even know what format mp5 is lol
ilitmyselfonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
ncmetalguitar88

Cut Clean the Horizon was my favorite.
ncmetalguitar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilitmyselfonf
can i have them in .wav please. I don't even know what format mp5 is lol

Wat

EDIT: And I'll give this a full review later, if you want to.
I gave a quick listen to a couple of tracks and I think I got the gist of it: in short, it sounds a bit too modern metalcore-ish for me to really enjoy, but that's not the point. Every song I listened to abused the whole 8-5-0 progression that has been beaten to death since the 90's, and most of the riffs don't feel very memorable. Also I don't really hear any prog in this tbh.

Last edited by Ometh : 12-15-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
allthatichug

Thumbs up

Noice.

Cut Clean The Horizon:
Liked it, would sound good with vocals on top, favourite part was 84-91 and the outro. Wasn't a fan of the intro (especially the 12-15 repeat bit, which seems out of key to me. Tweaked it a little so it was a three note pattern of 11-14-13 (on high string) and it sounded a ton better).

Light and Shallowness:
My favourite out of the lot, flows really well and the acoustic parts are sick. I didn't even realise there 5/4 signatures while listening either. Ending felt a bit abrupt, but solid composition.

One Last Manhatten
(Firstly, did you mean to spell it Manhattan or is it a typo?) This one felt B-sidey to me, it was pretty forgettable. Nice to listen to but it didn't stand out much.

Song 2
At first, I was disappointed that it wasn't a Blur cover, but then I was pleased, nice solid song. Favourite part was the breakdown (84-100ish), which was surprising because normally the metalcore-style breakdowns suck. That one didn't.

To Open The Eye Of Harmony It Must First Be Closed
Nice closer, bit forgettable but the outro was nice. Again, if the vocals are good it'll turn out well I reckon.

Only other crit I can give is to try and mix more instruments in - use violins instead of layering octaves, piano with clean parts, etc. Otherwise I liked it yo. When you record it/post it on bandcamp/whatever, post it here as well and I'd happily buy it.
allthatichug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Wat

EDIT: And I'll give this a full review later, if you want to.
I gave a quick listen to a couple of tracks and I think I got the gist of it: in short, it sounds a bit too modern metalcore-ish for me to really enjoy, but that's not the point. Every song I listened to abused the whole 8-5-0 progression that has been beaten to death since the 90's, and most of the riffs don't feel very memorable. Also I don't really hear any prog in this tbh.

I honestly didn't expect you to like it Ometh, it's not really your thing, and I am hesitant to call it prog myself... I just thought it might attract people and it DOES technically have weird time signatures at times xD As for the progression, how many songs did you listen to? I think it appears in only about two of things. I admit I tend to abuse the open, 5th, 7th and 8th chords, but the 8500 only appears in that form once and once as 0085. Unless there's something I'm missing?

I do agree that a lot of the riffs aren't really that memorable, but that's something that apparently I'm just not very good at yet. The bands I'm influenced by are manly about the layers and texture, a lot of their riffs aren't very memorable either

What would you want to see change to make it enjoyable for you? Out of interest. Or is there nothing in this style that appeals to your more Death/Grind sensibilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatichug
Noice.

Cut Clean The Horizon:
Liked it, would sound good with vocals on top, favourite part was 84-91 and the outro. Wasn't a fan of the intro (especially the 12-15 repeat bit, which seems out of key to me. Tweaked it a little so it was a three note pattern of 11-14-13 (on high string) and it sounded a ton better).

Light and Shallowness:
My favourite out of the lot, flows really well and the acoustic parts are sick. I didn't even realise there 5/4 signatures while listening either. Ending felt a bit abrupt, but solid composition.

One Last Manhatten
(Firstly, did you mean to spell it Manhattan or is it a typo?) This one felt B-sidey to me, it was pretty forgettable. Nice to listen to but it didn't stand out much.

Song 2
At first, I was disappointed that it wasn't a Blur cover, but then I was pleased, nice solid song. Favourite part was the breakdown (84-100ish), which was surprising because normally the metalcore-style breakdowns suck. That one didn't.

To Open The Eye Of Harmony It Must First Be Closed
Nice closer, bit forgettable but the outro was nice. Again, if the vocals are good it'll turn out well I reckon.

Only other crit I can give is to try and mix more instruments in - use violins instead of layering octaves, piano with clean parts, etc. Otherwise I liked it yo. When you record it/post it on bandcamp/whatever, post it here as well and I'd happily buy it.

Thanks man, writing lyrics are the next part. Any ideas on how I could make the riffs "more memorable" in such a style? It's not really a style known for uber memorable riffs.

And no, it's definitely a typo xD These aren't the final titles for the songs for the most part.

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-15-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
allthatichug

In those examples, I think it's cause there's no real rhythm or lead parts (it's just chords and octaves going at it like rabbits) but if the vocal parts are strong enough, it shouldn't matter.
allthatichug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Ah, that makes a lot of sense actually! I'm not sure why I didn't see it myself.

Basically I spend a little too much time trying to be clever and not letting any of the riffs really stand out kinda thing?

Quote:

Rate This Thread: