Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
DEGSY1986

Any tips on making this sound better??

Hey
We are 'a band', just wondering if anyone has any tips on making this recording sounding more "professional"
https://soundcloud.com/thedirtyplea...pleasure-papa-1
Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
'A band'

DG Edit: Don't think you can use a vague question as a way to sneakily plug your band - either you have a serious question, and the band name/FB page is irrelevant, or you're fishing for publicity. If it is the latter, take it to the 'Promote YOUR Band' forum.
DEGSY1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Plug disguised as a question. If you have a specific question then ask away, if you want crits on your music go to the originals forum and post a song.

But if you're just here to promote your band, go to the promote your band forum, this isn't the place for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

So...what, specifically, are you asking? I'm not even listening to that, unless you have a specific question.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

When in doubt; compress it out.

You're welcome.
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

If you take out that facebook crap I might listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
If you take out that facebook crap I might listen to it.

Done.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
kaveh640

Upto

vocals are super hard to hear and not clear at all, it sounded muddy.

and you re guitar guy was going off now and then
kaveh640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Pan the guitars out to the sides to open the middle for the vocals, drums and bass.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
HeavyKaribean

Quote:
Pan the guitars out to the sides to open the middle for the vocals, drums and bass.

Agree. Also if you are recording drums in multiple tracks, make a subgroup just for the drums so you can easily manage the relation between drums and other stuff volumes without altering the relations between drums tracks themselves.

Quote:
When in doubt; compress it out.

You're welcome.

He is joking. Compressing to much makes you loose dynamic in the songs. Unfortunately everybody thinks that compression is the solution nowadays. If you want louder just raise the volume.

You need equalization that's something difficult to explain in a comment. Ask someone you know to give you some help or search the Internet. You also have too much noise in the recording. How are you doing it? Microphone with the amp or line in for the guitar?
HeavyKaribean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

It doesn't even sound like the guitars are multi-tracked. If you don't feel like recording some more takes, you can add some stereo delay (about 10 to 15 ms) to push them off to the sides. That'll make them appear louder, too, which they definitely need.
I'd disagree with "kaveh640"; the vocals are too loud. To make both of us happy, put some compression on it. And by "some", I mean "huge, heaping, mountainous piles".
All of this is basic stuff; maybe we should have a sticky for simple fixes like this?

Oh, also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyKaribean
He is joking. Compressing to much makes you loose dynamic in the songs. Unfortunately everybody thinks that compression is the solution nowadays. If you want louder just raise the volume.

That's master compression. Compression on individual tracks (especially vocals!) can be helpful, without affecting the dynamic range of the rest of the song. Or even giving the rest of the song more range by restricting tracks that don't need it. Vocals, bass, and distorted guitars (especially in rock) don't need as much dynamic range as drums do; it's common to compress them to make mixing more manageable.
I know you're just trying to help, but please, don't just parrot stuff about the "loudness war". Compression is an extremely important effect if used correctly; abusing it in mastering has just given it a bad name.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 01-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Get a better amp for the guitar distortion (or better mic maybe). (I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but you asked, and my opinion is that it sounds bad.) How do you have your drums mic-ed? It sounds like you only have overheads or something. Get some better isolation on those drums, and less room noise.

I really didn't enjoy the vocals at all, and I wouldn't say they're very "professional", but if you're going to do a whole song that ridiculously my guess is you're sticking with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
HeavyKaribean

Hey cavalcade dont argue with me I just said too much compression is bad. Of course it is useful but the thing here was don't use compression in case of doubt like someone said. Let's work knowing what we are doing savvy? Geez xD
HeavyKaribean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Hey cavalcade dont argue with me

I wasn't arguing, I was clearing things up; and that time, things needed to be cleared up.
Quote:
Let's work knowing what we are doing savvy? Geez xD

What does this even mean

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Listerally all of TS's posts are advertising the various bands he's been in. I don't think he really wants feedback, which is why he hasn't replied. He probably hasn't even checked this thread since posting it. It's a shame; if he did, and followed up on our advice, maybe people would want to check his band out.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 01-23-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Holy shit, where do I start?

-Start over with the guitars
-Snare doesn't have enough crack for me
-Your vocalist sucks, get a new one or have him resing it
-Too much verb on the vocals
-levels in general are all over the place
-lots of EQing is needed
-Your vocalist sucks

I know OP is banned but holy shit, theres a lot of work that needs to be done. Def not the worst I've heard but there is a lot that needs to be done
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

He's banned purely because he clearly made this thread with the intention of spreading his band name - originally I didn't ban/warn, I just edited the first post to remove the band name and the facebook links... then he didn't come back despite the posts, and somebody mentioned how his other threads are all like this. So I had a look through his thread/post history, and the majority of threads are duplicates of the same thing to get more views, and the majority of posts, if not creating a thread, are bumps.

I just figured that he'll probably ignore the edit, and any warning I give through the UG system, as he probably won't check back, so I've indefinitely banned him until he decides to make contact in FOTB and understands that this isn't allowed.

And I'm not quite sure why I explained the whole process behind this ban, but I guess I'm just more transparent than politicians and don't like feeling like a power-hungry dictator

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

What beats me is why people think they'll get big by promoting their band on a forum. It's one thing to link to your SoundCloud or whatever in your sig, but really, the UG forums aren't exactly that big of a market. Maybe everyone thinks they'll be the next Bulb?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Well yeah, it sounds pretty rubbish.

Also, your logo is even worse than your recording.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
chronowarp

sounds like recorded the guitars with a $5 condenser about 16 feet away from a marshall MG with the treble turned to 10.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

LOL@chronowarp.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
DEGSY1986

Thanks for the advice guys we'll take it on board. But kyle62... what a waste of time, didnt ask for your opinion, I asked for advice. Im sure you wasnt makin studio quality recordings the first time you recorded so get a life instead of taking the piss out of bands on forums... very mature of you. and same with the logo , that was literally my first go on photoshop which i didnt think was to bad considering, id love to see what u came up with the first time your where on it.
DEGSY1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: