Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Himynameisben95
Prince of the Universe

UK What guitar should I get?

I'm new to these forums and I'm sure you get a lot of questions exactly like this one, so for that I'm sorry.
I like to play music like blink-182 and Angels and Airwaves as well as The Beatles and Green Day. Make fun of my music taste all you want, but that's what I like to play. I want a guitar that can handle the kinds of heavy distortion you'd expect from Five Finger Death Punch, but which can also play the clean ska licks you hear from bands like Reel Big Fish. A guitar that's mostly simple with maybe just a couple of knobs and a tone switch. One that will stay in tune well and hopefully not require too much maintenance.

My budget is quite modest, maybe one to two hundred UK pounds. I take it that with this kind of budget I should buy second hand, but I just don't know what to get. I don't want a flying V or any crazy shapes, I prefer a Gibson/Strat or even a Schecter.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Himynameisben95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Himynameisben95
Prince of the Universe

Also... do you get guitars where the individual strings are more spaced out than normal? My current knock-off Tesco Value Stratocaster sometimes feels like the strings are too close to each other - I have big hands. But I don't want the neck to be too thick or else playing Barred hurts my hands.
Himynameisben95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I have a beautiful. Mint condition. Classic Vibe Strat.

£150 and it's yours?

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
slash11896

I have an esp ec-256 and love it. For some reason a lot of people knock esp for being bad guitars. I have no problems with mine, stays in tune, plays easy, and is very versatile. I too play a lot of green day and this guitar handles that very well, but also can scream if it has to. The push pull coil tap can give you that strat/tele sound, but the full humbuckers give that warm les Paul sound. I got mine used for 200usd which is 125gbp, new they are 399usd which is 250gbp, I know it's a little more than you said but in my opinion it is worth it completely.
slash11896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

If you want Green Day tones, you would prefer a Les Paul or a SG, or at least something with humbuckers. Saving up is your best bet, as there's guitars like the Epiphone Les Paul Standard that you would consider keeping over a long period of time. You could always get a Les Paul/SG Special, but you will spend most of your time trying to keep it in tune, and you will probably sell it after a while. I know that from experience.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
JokerGrin
Banned

You can't really go wrong with a Yamaha Pacifica 112V.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-paci...-sunburst/16453 (different colours available of course)

Very versatile guitar. It won't be THAT great for distortion with the standard humbucker but you could always swap it out if you like the guitar enough. I think it looks pretty damn nice for the cash too.
JokerGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
jemstar555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
I have a beautiful. Mint condition. Classic Vibe Strat.

£150 and it's yours?

You got pics?

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Epiphone 1963 50th anniversary Les Paul
Fender Strat

Amp:
Bugera 6260
VHT Special 6 Head

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor
Big Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer PH9
Cry Baby Wah
jemstar555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Not too hand, but its the metallic blue one, 50s neck.

Pm me and I can sort some pictures.

Its the bottom one...

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 01-25-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

All 3 for £150? Hmm... £140?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Wind your neck in.

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
griffin888

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash11896
I have an esp ec-256 and love it. For some reason a lot of people knock esp for being bad guitars. I have no problems with mine, stays in tune, plays easy, and is very versatile. I too play a lot of green day and this guitar handles that very well, but also can scream if it has to. The push pull coil tap can give you that strat/tele sound, but the full humbuckers give that warm les Paul sound. I got mine used for 200usd which is 125gbp, new they are 399usd which is 250gbp, I know it's a little more than you said but in my opinion it is worth it completely.

You have a LTD, not an ESP.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
ou8me99

If you looking for a cheap guitar go for a ESP LTD EC with emg 81/60 pickups. Anyguitar thas has emg 81/60's will give you the sound your looking for, and get a peavy, marshall, crate amp for a set up. I have ESP Snakebyte, not an ltd, and james hetfields custom pickups are the best in my opinion. I also have Crate Flex Wave 65 Watt amp, that give out the best high gain ive sounded. IM not rich but it sounds killer.
ou8me99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8me99
If you looking for a cheap guitar go for a ESP LTD EC with emg 81/60 pickups. Anyguitar thas has emg 81/60's will give you the sound your looking for, and get a peavy, marshall, crate amp for a set up. I have ESP Snakebyte, not an ltd, and james hetfields custom pickups are the best in my opinion. I also have Crate Flex Wave 65 Watt amp, that give out the best high gain ive sounded. IM not rich but it sounds killer.

i didn't find a single bit of valuable information there.

take up tom's offer. thats a nice guitar and should suit you for quite a while, (basically saying until you want second)

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #14
dannyalcatraz

That IS a nice lttle Strat...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8me99
Yes that's right, The Beatles and Reel Big Fish are famous for their use of active pickups and high-gain amplifiers.

OP, there's a million and one guitars that will do what you want. Any sort of regular Les Paul, SG, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Jazzmaster, super-Strat, archtop... your best bet is to simply browse second hand ads and eBay for decent, classic all-rounders (Tom's Strat would certainly fit the bill, though you'd probably want to stick a single coil-size humbucker in the bridge for those Blink-182 and Green Day tones; Axesrus and IronGear do some nice ones for a fair price) and see what feels good to your hand.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
FunkyMonk182

get the fender jaguar classic player hh, you can coil split the humbuckers so you can get clean tones as well
FunkyMonk182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
heisenberg747

Schecter makes superb guitars for the money, at least if you get a Damien Elite or better. just pretend all those crappy artists like papa roach and avenged sevenfold don't play Schecters =)
heisenberg747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: