Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Miss.Alice

Please help me

Hi guys, I really need your help on this one. I've filled out the form that was stickied:

Budget? - I prefer to stay around €450,- but I can go up to €500,- if that really gets me a better guitar and amplifier.

Favorite Artists? - I like all kinds of music, not really a particular artist that I would really like to play.

Preferences? - I have small hands, so I don't want a guitar that is too heavy or large.

Pickups? - I think I want humbuckers, because in YouTube videos those sounded a lot more awesome.

New or Used? - No used, just new guitars. It is going to be my first guitar and I don't like a used guitar, sorry.

Location? - I'm located in The Netherlands, which isn't a big country so I can travel to anywhere there if needed.

Current Gear? - I don't have anything yet.
Miss.Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

1) if you can, go to some stores and try out some guitars of various brands, shapes & styles to figure out what feels most comfortable to you. A beginner guitar is more about feeling comfortable when you practice than it is about long-term quality. Quality is always good, but at this stage, it isn't necessary. DO however, pay attention to things like whether the frets are sharp around the edges of the fretboard.

2) assuming a budget of €500, I'd divide that €200-225 guitar, €200-225 small tube combo amp, €50-100 pedals & cables. In general, amp quality is a bit more important than gear quality at any given stage of proficiency- a bad amp will always sound bad, one matter what is plugged into it. Again, if you can, try some out- both clean and distorted.

2a) instead of a small tube combo amp & pedals, get a small but decent solid state modeling amp

2b) instead of an amp, save up your money while you refine your tastes, and get some decent headphones & a device like one of these to practice with:

And honestly, with a budget of €500 for EVERYTHING, you really are better off going used. Starter packs tend to be pretty horrible, at least IMHO. Going used, you can get some really decent gear- at least on a guitar from a reputable seller. The difference between a €200 new guitar and a €200 used one could be quite surprising...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-25-2013 at 02:11 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Here's my suggestion:

A Hagstrom Ultra Swede: A versatile guitar that has gotten nothing but good reviews. (http://www.thomann.de/ie/hagstrom_ultra_swede_cbb.htm) €379-€399

A Fender Mustang amp: one of the best amps for the money (the Mustang I along with the Hagstrom can be got for €500, you should save up for the Mustang III if you can though)
Mustang I: http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_mustang_i.htm
Mustang III: http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_mustang_iii.htm

P.S. You could always go used as well for amps. Check out advert websites for some good deals.
And if you happen to save up more money, consider the Gretsch Pro Jet if you're looking for a more classy look. It's a truly amazing guitar, I've owned mine for about 6 months and I love it to bits.

Last edited by DeanoM50810 : 01-25-2013 at 02:15 PM.
DeanoM50810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Miss.Alice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Instead of an amp, save up your money while you refine your tastes, and get some decent headphones & a device like one of these to practice with

What kind of devices are that?

Quote:
The difference between a €200 new guitar and a €200 used one could be quite surprising...

What if I decided to go used, which guitars would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoM50810
A Fender Mustang amp: one of the best amps for the money (the Mustang I along with the Hagstrom can be got for €500, you should save up for the Mustang III if you can though)

I looked them up, and the only difference seems to be the wattage. Since I'm not gigging, why do you prefer the Mustang II? (only the III and IV have more effects and stuff).
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Alice
I looked them up, and the only difference seems to be the wattage. Since I'm not gigging, why do you prefer the Mustang II? (only the III and IV have more effects and stuff).

I suggested the III because of the effects; it'll save you from having to buy pedals in the future. It should also be loud enough for most situations that you'll be in.

It'd be easier to pick the right guitar for you if you told us what type pickups you'd prefer. Do you prefer the guitar riffs in Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits to the stuff in Who Are You by The Who?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thomann's blowing out last year's japanese-made fender pawn shop guitars for around your budget- i can't see you getting much better (new) for that kind of price. I should add that i haven't tried them (LOL), but I've tried enough japanese guitars that, unless you're incredibly unlucky, it's gonna be at worst a decent guitar, and at best a good guitar (and I don't mean "decent for a beginner guitar", i mean "decent full stop" i.e. compared to pro quality guitars).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pawn_shop_51_bk.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pawn_shop_51_blonde.htm

maybe with this amp here:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_mini_3_bk.htm (it says it's an acoustic amp for some reason but it looks like the electric guitar mini 3 to me (I have one). I can't see too many people using a dual rectifier model with an acoustic, but I could be wrong...

they also have it in white or green for an extra 5 euros.

EDIT: i'm not sure going used is the best idea if you're a new player, unless you have a guitar-playing friend/realtive you trust who can check things out for you (plus at the price those fender pawn shops are on thomann you might not get much better going second-hand, anyway).

I guess you could say the same thing about buying online from e.g. thomann, lol, but at least if you buy new from them you're covered by warranty etc. and you can pester them for help if you get into trouble. LOL.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 01-25-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
What kind of devices are that?

Those are all different kinds of portable effects/amp modeling devices. You plug your guitar & headphones in, and dial in one of the presets- or create your own- and its sort of like practicing with an amp.

Quietly.

BONUS: since they're almost all small enough to pack in a guitar case or gig bag, you can practice almost any time, almost anywhere. That option can be a big factor when trying to find the time to practice.

Each unit I posted has some different features, but all have tuners & metronomes- great for practice- some have drum synthesizers so you can try out different rhythms, some have memory chips for recording via miss and/or direct input. Some have the ability to connect directly to your computer. Some have phrase trainers so you can slow down & loop a part to learn it.

Quote:
What if I decided to go used, which guitars would you recommend?

Going used lets you consider Pre-loved guitars from better brands. While Squier and Epiphone make decent guitars, for the most part, their parent companies make better ones. So you're usually better off finding a used Fender than a new Squier, or a used a Gibson than a new Epi.

Plus, the guitars of some smaller companies simply don't hold their price as well as Gibson or Fender do- they lack that name-brand recognition- so you can find even better deals on those!

A used Godin "Strat", for instance, might be $50-100 less than a similar Fender.

For example: I just checked Godins on Guitar Center's used gear page- yes, I know that's probably not an option for you- and found a few Godin SDs and Redline HBs between $200-375. Any of those would be a better option than new guitars that could be had in that price range.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
thomann's blowing out last year's japanese-made fender pawn shop guitars for around your budget- i can't see you getting much better (new) for that kind of price. I should add that i haven't tried them (LOL), but I've tried enough japanese guitars that, unless you're incredibly unlucky, it's gonna be at worst a decent guitar, and at best a good guitar (and I don't mean "decent for a beginner guitar", i mean "decent full stop" i.e. compared to pro quality guitars).

I've heard good things about those, too. Definitely worth a look!

You might also like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Richmond Guitars of Canada is a subsidiary of Godin. All of their guitars are made in Canada, alongside their more expensive counterparts. It has a HB in the bridge and something similar to a P90 in the neck.

The Empire can run as much as $480, but it is $368 there.

The same company offers the Belmont, with a Seymour Duncan '57 HB in the bridge and Seymour Duncan Lipstick pickups in the middle and neck positions.

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/index....&productId=6657

They typically run around $420.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I've heard good things about those, too. Definitely worth a look!

yeah godins are worth a look, too. I don't think they're as good value in europe as in the states (and they aren't as good value here as they used to be), but you never know, sometimes you can come across a deal.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Miss.Alice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoM50810
I suggested the III because of the effects; it'll save you from having to buy pedals in the future. It should also be loud enough for most situations that you'll be in.

It'd be easier to pick the right guitar for you if you told us what type pickups you'd prefer. Do you prefer the guitar riffs in Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits to the stuff in Who Are You by The Who?

Oh sorry, I misread III for II
And the fact is, I like practically everything. But I made a top five of my favorite songs for you guys, hope it helps:
Practically everything by Led Zeppelin
Matt Corby - Soul's a fire
Aerosmith - Amazing
Prince - Purple Rain
Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

You don't need this right now, but as a fan of David Gilmour, you'll want to keep an eye out for a good deal on a Boss RT-20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrXsrPAFIc&sns=em

Basically, it will let you emulate how David has used Leslie rotary cabs as part of his sound on so many classic tracks.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Miss.Alice

I understand, and will definitely look out for one. For now I would like a regular amp, and I came across the Roland Cube 20XL. It seems to get good reviews, but is it better then the Mustang I?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the higher wattage cubes are better unfortunately... that's the case with almost all of the modellers, but especially with the lower wattage cubes, because they don't have amp models (or at least anywhere near as many), the cheaper ones have "stompbox models" which don't sound very good, really. very sterile sounding. There's little point (IMO) in buying a modelling amp if it doesn't actually have amp models, lol, as that's what you want the thing for.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Another thing to look out for in terms of modeling technology: as the time passes, the tech gets better and moe powerful.

DigiTech has 2 nifty devices in the market right now, the iStomp pedal and the IBP-10.

The iStomp is a pedal that is designed to emulate any other pedal, one pedal-simulating app at a time. They run about $150, as I recall. And they are making new pedal apps all the time for downloading.

The IBP-10 is a multieffects pedal that ties into your iPad. The pedsl dock for the iPad comes with amp & pedal simulation apps for about $50,000 worth of gear, and you can download new amp & pedal for a few bucks each. This beast is about $500. (Not including iPad!)

I know that the first one is pricey, and the second is clearly outside your current budget. But look at what they do for you: if you get a good but inexpensive combo tube amp and some pedals now and save up for one of these, you'll have access to modeling technology that is expandable, as opposed to the few presets and customized options on most modeling amps or Multieffects pedals today.

Just saying that you don't need to spend all your money at once, because the way the tech is going, there are options coming that could be quite liberating and fun! Get your basics covered, then save your money and keep your eyes open.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Another thing to look out for in terms of modeling technology: as the time passes, the tech gets better and moe powerful.

yeah. guitar is actually one of the few industries where the old stuff is actually cooler, but the exception is the modelling technology.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Miss.Alice

There are a lot of amp and guitars mentioned in this thread now, and I am really lost! What would be the best combination within my budget for the music I'd like to play? (Fender, humbuckers, low watt or high watt?!)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

For playing through, either a small modeling or tube amp- a couple hundred dollars worth should do you fine- or one of those little devices I mentioned.

For the guitars, I think those Richmonds I mentioned, a Godin if you can find one, or those Fender Pawn Shops would be killer starting guitars- good quality & specs, and should be able to handle the styles you're interested in.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i dunno who matt corby is, but for the rest i'd say a combination of single coils and humbuckers. pink floyd is mainly strat, led zep is either a telecaster or les paul, prince is a variety of things i think, he's used a tele as well as humbuckers i think (not too well up on prince), and aerosmith is a bit of everything.

Aside from not having a strat middle pickup that fender pawn shop '51 is looking pretty good- as i said, japanese made (so it's a "good" guitar, not a "beginner" guitar), and a bridge humbucker for the heavier stuff, which is also coil-splittable which gives you a tone not a million miles away from a telecaster bridge pickup, and then it has a strat neck pickup as well. it's up to you, of course, and if you just plain don't like the looks, or get to try one and don't like the neck, then by all means get something else. But certainly on paper, if you're buying new and buying from thomann, that guitar is gonna be hard to beat for 400 euros. Before they moved the manufacture to mexico, they were selling them for about double what they're selling them for now. In fact, the new mexican-made ones are about double that- and while you can't generalise completely, normally made-in-mexico guitars are a notch or two below japan in the quality stakes. EDIT: I'm sure those godins are worth a look, too, but on thomann they seem to start at about 600 euros, which is over budget unfortunately.

regarding the amp... it depends on what you want to do with it. If you'll only be playing in your room, a vox mini 3, da5 or roland microcube would be great (for some reason the microcube does have amp models even though its wattage is really low). they also have the added advantage of being portable and can be run on batteries, so may well be useful even when you upgrade to a better amp later (which is not something you can say about most beginners' amps- i actually bought a mini3 pretty recently and I already have bigger valve amps).

if you're going to jam with friends, though, a higher wattage would likely be better- 15, probably 30.

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, unfortunately wattage isn't the only thing to worry about, as often the lower wattage versions of those modelling amps have far fewer features. So even though the 15 watt version might be plenty in terms of sheer volume, the 30 might be much more useful if it has features which you'd use and need.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 01-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Seems like you might like a guitar with coil splitting. Could you see yourself saving up a little more for a guitar that could possibly suit all your needs? If so, you have a choice:

This http://www.thomann.de/ie/gl_tribute_ascari_gts_tr.htm
Or this http://www.thomann.de/ie/hagstrom_deuce_bk.htm
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i don't think she needs to save up more. that fender pawn shop is arguably a better guitar than those two you listed for less money. and it has coil splitting on the bridge pickup, and an actual proper single coil (which is better than coil splitting) for the neck pickup.

Rate This Thread: