Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #81
theogonia777
Professional Musician
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Nobody's explained why though. Other than because they prefer it.


Because the bass is a valuable part of the overall harmony and important for keeping a consistent rhythm. And what if I want a sweet bass fill? Also not everyone goes to cheesy clubs to listen to the same type of cheesy electronic music that they play in cheesy mall stores that sell cheesy European hats or whatever cheesy junk is fashionable among cheesy fashion hipsters.

And don't give me any of that "industry standard" shit (which, where are you getting that from anyway). You're just assuming that everyone else worships whatever trendy in your little bubble of what's popular in the world of generic cookie-cutter, musically neutral, lowest common denominator electronic dance music.
__________________
To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Pink Floyd and Jazz
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #82
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
You're just assuming that everyone else worships whatever trendy in your little bubble of what's popular in the world of generic cookie-cutter, musically neutral, lowest common denominator electronic dance music.

due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #83
willT08
Banned
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: waiting for milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Because the bass is a valuable part of the overall harmony
It's still part of the harmony even when you roll off the high end
Quote:
and important for keeping a consistent rhythm
Mixing doesn't effect the timing .
Quote:
And what if I want a sweet bass fill?
You still hear the notes it's playing
Quote:
Also not everyone goes to cheesy clubs to listen to the same type of cheesy electronic music that they play in cheesy mall stores that sell cheesy European hats or whatever cheesy junk is fashionable among cheesy fashion hipsters.


Quote:
And don't give me any of that "industry standard" shit (which, where are you getting that from anyway).
From studying popular music production
Quote:
You're just assuming that everyone else worships whatever trendy in your little bubble of what's popular in the world of generic cookie-cutter, musically neutral, lowest common denominator electronic dance music.



This was just an angry way to type "Because I prefer it". Why is everyone so angry tonight?
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #84
█▐▌█▐▌
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
It's still part of the harmony even when you roll off the high end

and you can still hear it when you roll off the high end
█▐▌█▐▌ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #85
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
i'm still confused as to what "felt" even means in this context. someone tell me.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #86
Unourrit01
Rangers Suck
 
Unourrit01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
i'm still confused as to what "felt" even means in this context. someone tell me.

felt is literal.

when bass is mixed properly, it fills in the whole mix and you can feel it.

when you mix in high end frequencies on the bass, it can conflict with the guitars that usually take up those frequencies
__________________
The New York Rangers suck

Electronic music stuff. I don't know.
https://soundcloud.com/kills-bugs-dead

Last edited by Unourrit01 : 01-26-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Unourrit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #87
theogonia777
Professional Musician
 
theogonia777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Backwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
It's still part of the harmony even when you roll off the high end Mixing doesn't effect the timing . You still hear the notes it's playing

From studying popular music production


This was just an angry way to type "Because I prefer it". Why is everyone so angry tonight?


You're just making stuff up, aren't you? Because it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. Oops, I'm sorry. It feels like you have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________
To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.


Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Pink Floyd and Jazz
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #88
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unourrit01
felt is literal.

when bass is mixed properly, it fills in the whole mix and you can feel it.

when you mix in high end frequencies on the bass, it can conflict with the guitars that usually take up those frequencies

well like i said, all hearing is is feeling, so yah~
Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
You're just making stuff up, aren't you? Because it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. Oops, I'm sorry. It feels like you have no idea what you're talking about.

heh
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #89
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOneOut
Yup. Coheed & Cambria's Year of the Black Rainbow. Everything is fuzzy as **** .

Are you and I even listening to the same album?...

Yes, it's more distorted than say, "Good Apollo IV". But...fuzzy isn't what I'd describe that as. Still, if you prefer less heavy rock, you may not like it.

@will:
Look, man, I'm sure you know your shit. You're studying music production and all that. However, a lot of rock and heavy metal sounds a hell of a lot better if you don't bury the bass in the mix. So, I'm gonna have to agree with Kristen (Theo) on this.

I could see where pop or light rock, you wouldn't want the bass in the mix. But really...even then, most of those songs could be better served by just EQ'ing the bass well and then putting it at a level with all the other instruments.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #90
Tsar66
untitled
 
Tsar66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Scotland
idgaf lo-fi for life
__________________
tumblr.
Last.fm
Tsar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #91
beefcake122
no fun.
 
beefcake122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Can't stand Dream Theater's drums, I refuse to listen to them mostly because of that. I don't know what it is about them but they sound awful.
__________________
sunbather is shit
beefcake122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #92
NothingRocks
:^)
 
NothingRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Breaking All Illusions by Dream Theater has a horrible mix. Most of A Dramatic Turn of Events is poorly mixed infact. The drums are too quiet, there aren't enough highs/mid-highs, and the instruments don't sound focused or have much in the way of clarity
__________________
藍川絆
あいかわ・きずな

My Livestream

Awakia Facebook Page

Anime List
Music
Youtube
NothingRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #93
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl
 
OddOneOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Essex, England innit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Are you and I even listening to the same album?...

Yes, it's more distorted than say, "Good Apollo IV". But...fuzzy isn't what I'd describe that as. Still, if you prefer less heavy rock, you may not like it.

I definitely listen to heavier rock than Co&Ca. But yeah we'll just have to disagree on this. I think all the guitars sound too distorted and not in a good way. There's no punch to the sound at all. I find it all pretty flat sounding. Too much like NIN, which considering the producer makes sense. I disliked it enough that I decided not to buy it and don't have it on my ipod.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #94
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!
 
Emperor's Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRocks
Animals as Leaders are the perfect example of a band with great musical potential, but god awful mixing. I still don't understand how Tosin got his guitar to sound so bad. The distorted tones are like nails on a chalkboard run through a terrible digital amp.
Tosin's sound is run through a digital amp...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralFan
My name is Lord Pussygrabber III of the Playboy Mansion, great-grandson of Donald Donald MacDonald.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #95
Eastwinn
pulling empty hall alarms
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
most of the music i listen to benefits from terrible mixing.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #96
NothingRocks
:^)
 
NothingRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
Tosin's sound is run through a digital amp...



I know, hence the digital amp comment. Your point?
__________________
藍川絆
あいかわ・きずな

My Livestream

Awakia Facebook Page

Anime List
Music
Youtube
NothingRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #97
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
 
Gibson_SG_uzr55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Valley State University, Michigan
I don't think it necessarily matters if the bass is heard or felt, as long as you can sense it. People joked when Paul Gray of Slipknot died because it's hard to hear the bass in Slipknot songs, but if you listen you can still tell it's there, it's just hard to hear over the detuned guitars and everything else. If the bass wasn't there or mixed out, you would definitely know it (case in point, AJFA).

So not being able to hear the bass with definition isn't necessary. However, I still enjoy hearing the bass rather clearly, especially if the bassist is throwing down some snazzy lines.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #98
Ziphoblat
Hazardous
 
Ziphoblat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Ew no.

Bass is there to be felt, not heard.


What a shit attitude to bass tone. I'd honestly like to hear one professional mix where the bass sounds good and is "felt not heard".
__________________
Save a Cow,
Eat a Vegan.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #99
Lord_Doku
ancient bass
 
Lord_Doku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Netherlands
I didn't like the lack of bass in AJFA, though I know it's there, and I believe that Death Magnetic would have been better off with a producer who refrains from tapping the sound limit ever so often, so yeah, I guess sometimes, the mixing ticks me off.
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #100
palm mute
Reserved User
 
palm mute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Hastings
Depends on how bad. Most bands who have bad quality mixing or have entirely different opinions than I on what a proper mix sounds like don't play music I enjoy anyway.

I think I would rather listen to lo-fi than overproduced though, and I consider over polishing to be a poor mix.
__________________
In my heart I'm with you

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.