Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
BoobsVanderbilt

I Think I'm Understanding Music Theory...

So I asked on here a couple weeks ago about why certain chords have certain notes in them and I got an answer and it was very helpful, and since then I have been dabbling a bit in that.. and I figured something out and I was VERY surprised and pleased with myself when I had figured this out .. cause I didn't read it anywhere and I was like .. Wow, thats right !

Basically, I had read about CAGED ... (C Major Pentatonic Scale) Which includes those notes. I then decided to look at my guitar neck image with the notes that I made on my computer and figure out why C A G E D... and so I did.

With ANY Major Pentatonic scale, it goes in the order of (if starting at C) : 2 notes, 2 Notes, 3 Notes, 2 Notes, 3 Notes. "C C#/Db D D#/Eb E F F#/Gb G G#/Ab A A#/Bb B C" OR , the way I figured it out, but I think going to the right is the correct way since.. well thats how the alphabet goes... forwards not backwards.. but I found it out by going backwards from C to A in the order of 3 notes, 2 notes, 3 notes, 2 notes, 2 notes.

Then with ANY other note.. it is the exact same pattern. Such as it being , I don't know, E.

E Major Pentatonic would be the notes E, C#/Db , B, G#/Ab, F#/Gb .. Right?

So that is the pattern with any Major Pentatonic. THEN I tried doing that for Minors and figured out that wasn't right, there is a different pattern. I figured out the pattern for Minor Pentatonic would be 3 notes, 2 notes, 3 notes, 2 notes, 2 notes instead of 2 notes, 2 notes, 3 notes, 2 notes, 3 notes. Basically the pattern is reversed.... correct?

I am writing this because I am fairly positive I figured this out to be correct, but I also want to make sure I am not wrong.

Other than that, I also questioned my friend a few weeks ago... "Why and how does Tom (We were talking about Blink 182) use certain notes and know to use those and sound good?" And its all music theory. BUT playing the song "Damnit", the intro where it goes :

E------------3-3-----------------1-1-------
A--3-3-----------------0-0-----------------
d------0-0-2-----0-0-2-----0-0-2-----2-2-0-
g------------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------

I realized.... those notes are ALL in the C Major pentatonic scale. Besides the F, but that is in the C minor pentatonic scale. So, he used C A G E D notes and now I begin to see how important the scales and notes are and how they are used to write songs and riffs.....

If I am wrong about all of this then... well shit ...
BoobsVanderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ That's cool you're getting a grasp on things. You'll have to get the major down though. The key of Dammit is C major, F is a note in C major.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

The minor pentatonic is in the shape
e---------------------------0--3-
b----------------------0--3------
g-----------------0--2------------
d------------0--2-----------------
a------0--2-----------------------
E-0--3----------------------------
Thats E minor. The number of frets between is the same for every other minor pentatonic, just starting at a different place on the neck.
The major pentatonic is in the shape
e---------------------------3--5-
b----------------------3--5------
g-----------------2--4------------
d------------2--5-----------------
a------2--5-----------------------
E-3--5----------------------------
Thats the G major pentatonic. I used G because G major and E minor are the same notes. If you're smart you'll figure out that the major pentatonic I wrote uses the second note from each string in the minor, and then another note over. There are actually 5 pentatonic scale shapes and they're all next to each other. So if you're moving up in fret number, the notes on the right side of one scale become the notes on the left side of the next scale over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
BoobsVanderbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
The minor pentatonic is in the shape
e---------------------------0--3-
b----------------------0--3------
g-----------------0--2------------
d------------0--2-----------------
a------0--2-----------------------
E-0--3----------------------------
Thats E minor. The number of frets between is the same for every other minor pentatonic, just starting at a different place on the neck.
The major pentatonic is in the shape
e---------------------------3--5-
b----------------------3--5------
g-----------------2--4------------
d------------2--5-----------------
a------2--5-----------------------
E-3--5----------------------------
Thats the G major pentatonic. I used G because G major and E minor are the same notes. If you're smart you'll figure out that the major pentatonic I wrote uses the second note from each string in the minor, and then another note over. There are actually 5 pentatonic scale shapes and they're all next to each other. So if you're moving up in fret number, the notes on the right side of one scale become the notes on the left side of the next scale over.

Oh wow... Sooo what you are saying here is that every minor pentatonic has the pattern/shape of (from high to low) 3 frets, 3, 2, 2, 2 3 ? And then after that is a minor pentatonic which is in the pattern of 2, 2,, 2, 3, 3, 2 ? and that continues all the way down the fretboard? or does it continue down but there are others that overlap into each other?
BoobsVanderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoobsVanderbilt
Oh wow... Sooo what you are saying here is that every minor pentatonic has the pattern/shape of (from high to low) 3 frets, 3, 2, 2, 2 3 ? And then after that is a minor pentatonic which is in the pattern of 2, 2,, 2, 3, 3, 2 ? and that continues all the way down the fretboard? or does it continue down but there are others that overlap into each other?

Rate This Thread: