Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

How to clean the guitar neck ?

Hey guys, I noticed that my guitar's neck was getting kinda dirty and I could see what looked like mold all over it, especially around the fret separators. By sweeping each string with a tissue, I also managed to find mold which prompted me to launch a cleaning operation.

I'm sorry if a thread like mine already exists, but could you please lend me a hand ?
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

It's just from sweat and skin cells off your fingers. Take a damp washcloth (nothing too abrasive) and wipe down the frets. That should take care of it. Wiping down your instrument constantly after use will prevent this from happening in the future.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Thank you, its much better now.
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Lighter fluid works great to clean all the crap off too.
Same deal as said above - wipe it on, wipe it off. Don't get too rough.
A toothbrush works good too as long as it isn't too abrasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

i keep a pack of pledge wipes handy around my guitars. all my necks have satin finishes except one and the wipes work well.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
watson503

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
i keep a pack of pledge wipes handy around my guitars. all my necks have satin finishes except one and the wipes work well.

Stay away from using Pledge on your guitar as it contains silicone - a lot of people unwittingly use it and it will cause problems in the long run.
watson503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson503
Stay away from using Pledge on your guitar as it contains silicone - a lot of people unwittingly use it and it will cause problems in the long run.

I'm pretty sure that will cause build up and eat away at the finish right?

Quote:
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
stepchildusmc

i wouldnt use it on the finish ! its for the satin necks.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoloto
Hey guys, I noticed that my guitar's neck was getting kinda dirty and I could see what looked like mold all over it, especially around the fret separators. By sweeping each string with a tissue, I also managed to find mold which prompted me to launch a cleaning operation.

I'm sorry if a thread like mine already exists, but could you please lend me a hand ?
If you had "mold" on the neck, you either live in the Amazon rain forest, a cave, or you simply put off cleaning the neck correctly for way too long.

The rosewood finger board is going to darken from finger oils and there isn't much you can do about. In fact it's probably harmless.

With that said, every time you finish playing, give the fingerboard a good, vigorous rubdown, with a fleece type of rag. Rub until the strings stop producing the blue copper sulfate color, and rub between strings also, until the rag shows clean. Use you index finger, and apply a goodly amount of pressure. I like to use white fleece, as it gives you a better idea when you're done.. (Obvious perhaps, but still worth mentioning).

Silicones in wax products originally, (I believe), got their bad reputation in the automotive trade. Waxes with polymers and silicone actually bond to the paint (*). This isn't normally an issue, until you have to make repairs on the finish. The paint material won't stick to a surface when these chemicals are present. Special prep solvents were developed, and as I recall, one was called, "Poly-Cracker", (or something like that). Anyway, I'm uncertain how much this has contributed to the "urban mythology" and suspicion surrounding silicones in wax products.

The original "Rain Dance" car wax (from DuPont), was the first to market of this type of product.

If you're terribly superstitious, I'd suggest buying products specifically designed for guitar care.

Modern urethane and polyester finishes require very little care, and waxes would only be used to add a bit of shine, and maybe attempt to fill small pick scratches and such.

Harbor Freight & Salvage sells the best microfiber cloths ever. They're sort of microfiber toweling or terry cloth.These are for the body though, good old regular fleece works best on the fingerboard & strings.

Here's the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-pie...oths-69795.html

Sorry for the big pics. It was either that, or a 1'"square jobbie.

Harbor Freight has a lot of locations across the country. It's sort of a big boy's toy store.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-25-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
i wouldnt use it on the finish ! its for the satin necks.

In most cases, 'satin' is a finish.

Oh and TS, those 'fret seperators' are the frets.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Bikewer

The fellow that does the Frets.com site recommends cleaning the fretboard with some very fine steel wool. Possibly a little mineral oil. (very little)
I just got the current issue of the Taylor magazine, Wood & Steel, and they say there's nothing wrong with a little lemon oil either.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
The fellow that does the Frets.com site recommends cleaning the fretboard with some very fine steel wool. Possibly a little mineral oil. (very little)
I just got the current issue of the Taylor magazine, Wood & Steel, and they say there's nothing wrong with a little lemon oil either.

No no no no no.

Steel wool will get into the grain of the fretboard and will screw up your electronics if you aren't careful. Use micron sandpaper or gorgomyte. It works better and you don't have to deal with all of the problems of the steel shavings.

I know because I've ruined 2 necks and and a set of pickups doing this. I had to learn the hard and expensive way.

Lemon oil works fine for conditioning open-grain wood, but it does nothing for cleaning. You want to use a light solvent like Naphtha or Simple Green for cleaning. And a clean cloth with wipe everything off after you rub it in.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
shanna23

I just use a clean cloth and it that works great. Probably, it's just gunk. My guitar is a maple finish. Mostly, just enjoy its sound and vibe.
Congrats!
shanna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
stepchildusmc

we're discussing the backside of the neck, are we not? for the frets... Bikewer's spot on( and i love my wood & steel magazine).

Rate This Thread: