Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Jchm

Simple question about my Digitech rp 55 pedal Power Source.

So i haven't found a power source to use with my Rp 55, they need a 9V 300ma one, the closest thing i found was a 9v 2000ma, 9v 1000ma and a 9v 200ma.

Question is, If I use the 9v 2000ma/1000ma one with my Rp, will it work smooth? or will it work then burn out?

What if i use the 9v 200ma one?

Sorry, I'm a total noob about electronic stuff . lol

Last edited by Jchm : 01-26-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Jchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

The one you found will work fine. It means the power supply can supply up to 1 amp of current, but the pedal will only draw 300mA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Jchm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
The one you found will work fine. It means the power supply can supply up to 1 amp of current, but the pedal will only draw 300mA.

Sorry but i updated the post with the others power sources i found lol , you mean the 2000 one right?
Jchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchm
So i haven't found a power source to use with my Rp 55, they need a 9V 300ma one, the closest thing i found was a 9v 2000ma, 9v 1000ma and a 9v 200ma.

Question is, If I use the 9v 2000ma/1000ma one with my Rp, will it work smooth? or will it work then burn out?

-ma stands for milli amps, it represents the amount of electric current the power supply can provide.
-your pedal is also rated with an 'ma', this rating represents how much current draw the pedal/device has.

the rule goes that your power supply needs to be able to supply at least as much current as the pedal draws.

so if your pedal requires 300 ma then your power supply must supply at least 300 ma, it can be spec'd to provide more though. so your 1000 or 2000 ma power supplies are adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchm
What if i use the 9v 200ma one?

the power supply wouldn't supply enough current, most likely the device would not even turn on.

as a side note, you should also be paying attention to the polarity of the power supply and the type of plug required. i am guessing the rp55 uses a standard barrel (boss-style) plug. but also pay attention to the polarity, make sure the digitech polarity needs are met by power supply.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

In general I find that you can use an underrated supply. So 200ma would likely work. I'd been running a 2000ma rated GNX4 on a 1300ma supply for a while. But I'd only do that keeping in mind that you still want to get the right supply. Feel the wall wart after using it for a while and make sure it isn't getting too hot.

But you can use and ma rating greater than the listed requirement. The funny thing is that the rated max power for the RP55 is 5 watts, but the suggested supply 9V @ 300ma is only 2.7 watts.

Rate This Thread: