User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Jimmy Page's Les Pauls - Celebration Day

Watched Celebration Day again last night. Really great concert. However, something was bugging me about two of Jimmy's Les Pauls.

Firstly, Kashmir. He's using a crimson coloured lp. The G string seems to go further past the stop tailpiece and carry on and attaches to a round metal knob affixed to the body of the guitar. Never seen this before. I can only assume it's an intonation/ tuning thing as Kashmir is in a different tuning.

Also, Whole Lotta Love. He's using an off colour goldtop looking lp. It has a very weird stop tailpiece/ bridge. Also on the body on the bass side, there's something going on there but I have no idea what that is.

Kashmir

Whole Lotta Love

Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy : 01-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.
WholeLottaIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
A Tout Le Monde

-snip-

the goldtop has a Transperformance bridge on it and the strip is it's controller (it's a self tuning thingy, an older model I believe)
http://axcenttuning.com/selftuningproducts.html

-snip-

Last edited by A Tout Le Monde : 01-26-2013 at 09:00 AM.
A Tout Le Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Blompcube
Registered User Error

the attachment on the kashmir les paul is a parsons/white B-bender. attached to the G string. it's a spring-loaded mechanism attached to the strap button. pull the strap button up to raise the string's pitch up a whole-tone.

he doesn't appear to use it in the video, but maybe he does when he plays some other songs in the same tuning?

the whole lotta love les paul looks like it's just a replacement bridge of some description - judging by the finish i think it's a modded 1952 les paul.

edit: ^well, there you go
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
HomerSGR
What?

Great concert? Did we even watch the same one?

Except for hype, which I understand completely when one of the arguably greatest bands of rock reunite, it is nothing but that. Page plays sloppy, doesn't hit a note right in the Stairway solo. The list goes on... No wonder they only made one appearance.

Yamaha SG2000
Gibson LP Std Faded
Gibson LP Deluxe
Fender Am Std Strat
Fender Std Strat
Fender Am Std Tele
Fender Am Std Tele
Charvel San Dimas
ESP Eclipse 1CTM
Jackson RR5
Ibanez RG1XXV
PRS SE C24
Schecter Blackjack V-1
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR

Except for hype, which I understand completely when one of the arguably greatest bands of rock reunite, it is nothing but that. Page plays sloppy, doesn't hit a note right in the Stairway solo. The list goes on... No wonder they only made one appearance.

Okay.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:

Yeah I'll agree, I always thought that the stairway solo was pretty sloppy but he's 69 years. To expect him to be able to play as he did when he was in his 20's is just unfair. And if they were doing that most nights, you could probably expect him to be a bit better but you have to realise as well, he probably hasn't played most of those songs in a very long time. Cut the guy some slack.

Also, you're right, that is the exact reason why they won't reunite. They said many times themselves that they're old now and can't do it as well as they could.

Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy : 01-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
WholeLottaIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Izvire

Quote:

^ A bit late, but agree

It was a great concert, give the guy a break. He is almost 70 years old.
Izvire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

They were awesome.

You wouldn't come away from seeing a band who really are a once in a lifetime now and nit pick about a few missed notes.

It's like when people say Hendrix was sloppy - Yea, you would be too on a dozen hits of acid, mate.

Let's look at the bigger picture, 70 years old, still ****ing brought the house down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:

If you watch a concert to judge a guitarist's technique, you should stick to Paul Gilbert youtube videos. There's more to Led Zeppelin than Jimmy's prowess as a guitarist.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
jpcl

Quote:

Your right, I'm pretty sure you haven't been seeing the same concert as everyone else. If your going to base a concert over a solo on Stairway that's more subtle, less complex, and based more on the studio version of the song, then you need a lot to learn about music. It isn't just about making the song better then it's '73 TSRTS version. Different moods, variations, styles is something part of any music song, and if your a Led Zeppelin fan you'll know they aren't any exception.

Watch the concert again when you've gotten better at listening music and have grown a few pubic hairs.

Also interesting how Jimi Hendrix was meantioned about your post above, and he's already talked about how people get all fussy about gimmicks. He got a lot of negative reactions just because he could play with his teeth (or other stunts/tricks) and didn't do it all the time. Kinda fits in this situation.

Last edited by jpcl : 01-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

Jimmy Page playing the solo to Stairway to Heaven was hilarious, but sooo sad at the same time.

2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose Amp
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Alright, dudes. TS got his questions answered. There's nothing more to be gained in this thread by disagreeing with the dude above. Let it die.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: