Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
vtec24

String Action Setup

Hi, I just took my acoustic in to a local shop on Wednesday for a setup of the string action. I just got it back today and when i got home and took it out of the case the guitar had some slight buzzing. Nothing to bad, after all they just changed the strings so I didn't think anything of it. After about 5 mins of playing I ran into some problems. First off there are about 5 frets across the fret board that when pushed down cause the strings to lay flat on the frets above them and buzz terribly, an example of that would be the C (3rd fret A string) that when pushed down produces a very buzzy C Sharp. It also seem all barre chords cause this problem to happen, I am guessing since you have to push down harder to produce a barre chord than most open chords that this causes the strings to lay flat on the frets above them. I called them immediately after I found this problem and they told me to wait because they had to adjust the truss rod and they told me it would take a day for the neck to adjust to the tension. Can anyone tell me if this is true or if i should just go back tomorrow and make them redo it.
vtec24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec24
I called them immediately after I found this problem and they told me to wait because they had to adjust the truss rod and they told me it would take a day for the neck to adjust to the tension. Can anyone tell me if this is true or if i should just go back tomorrow and make them redo it.
Well, if they put MORE TENSION in the truss rod, the problem is likely to get worse as the neck straightens out.

The only thing(s) that cause the issues you're having are, the strings ("action") are too low, and/or a neck which is either too straight, or has a back bow. (The center of the neck in this case would be bending TOWARDS the strings.

Please read through this guide on acoustic guitar setup: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/...up_page_01.html If you read and understand it, you'll be in a better position to deal with your guitar tech.

Pay particular attention to the "neck relief", and "action height" sections.

Sometimes if a player is "heavy handed", the strings must remain higher than average. In this case, it sounds to me like the shop was trying to make the guitar "very easy to play, and went a bit overboard.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-27-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: