Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
liamdude555

Flatwound Strings

does anyone know what the stock string size for the epiphone joe pass emporer ii is? cause i want to put some flatwounds on and was wondering if .14swould work
liamdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

There is no such thing as a 'stock size'. Just go with whatever works for you.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
liamdude555

well i mean, if it would fit in the nut or not
liamdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

If it doesn't fit in the nut, just widen the slots. It won't do the guitar any harm so long as you know what you're doing.

(・ω・`)
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Guitbuilder

I'd go with the lightest gauge flatwounds first. Heavier strings will produce a louder volume unplugged, but be harder to bend and play. The action required on heavier strings might make playing harder also.
I love the sound of flatwounds on a jazz guitar. Go for it.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
There is no such thing as a 'stock size'. Just go with whatever works for you.

One could certainly argue that there is a stock size for a given guitar. I'd say it's the gauge the guitar was initially set up to use. While it's possible to have a guitar set up for a different string gauge, the size it's set up for will perform the best.

And with an acoustic guitar, it's even easier to say they use a "stock size."
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitbuilder
I'd go with the lightest gauge flatwounds first. Heavier strings will produce a louder volume unplugged, but be harder to bend and play. The action required on heavier strings might make playing harder also.
I love the sound of flatwounds on a jazz guitar. Go for it.

If you can't bend them, you just need more practice. I have 11 gauge flatwounds on my Taylor T5 and have no problems. My custom Taylor GS came with 13s installed and I can bend them all day long. Practice is all you need.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
If you can't bend them, you just need more practice. I have 11 gauge flatwounds on my Taylor T5 and have no problems. My custom Taylor GS came with 13s installed and I can bend them all day long. Practice is all you need.

You can bend bass strings too, doesn't mean they aren't harder to bend, which does make playing harder and worse for some people. There's more to it then just "practise more".
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
One could certainly argue that there is a stock size for a given guitar. I'd say it's the gauge the guitar was initially set up to use. While it's possible to have a guitar set up for a different string gauge, the size it's set up for will perform the best.

And with an acoustic guitar, it's even easier to say they use a "stock size."

The problem with this argument is what is considered 'best' is very subjective, which is why there isn't really such a thing as the 'best' gauge. It's just that it doesn't make much sense from a manufacturing point of view to cut nut slots for string gauges that aren't all that conventional. But just because a gauge is popular doesn't mean it's the recommended one to use.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Not sure if you fully grasped what I was saying there. When I say "best", I mean for the guitar in its current configuration. Hence, why I said "the size it's set up for will perform the best."

I have different saddles cut for my acoustic guitars, so that if I want to change string gauges, I can. I have one particular Taylor acoustic that came with 11s stock, however it will accept 12s with the necessary changes. Until I make the proper changes, using 11s will work the best on it. Without changing the configuration of a guitar to accept the new strings, you're going to have some issues. You can either choose to accept those issues and play as-is, or adjust the guitar for the new "stock size."

So, "your" best and the guitar's best are really two different concepts.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcl
You can bend bass strings too, doesn't mean they aren't harder to bend, which does make playing harder and worse for some people. There's more to it then just "practise more".

But practice is a major part of being able to do anything on the guitar, bending included.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
jpcl

Quote:
But practice is a major part of being able to do anything on the guitar, bending included.

Indeed it is, but your taking a different approach now after I commented, because you stated on how practise was all that was needed in that matter when it isn't true.

Everyone is different, so while some may only need practise, others may have to look for other options. People sometimes do like to get carried away on how gear limits us, but the truth is that it can be that way, and why guitarists normally warn newer players of how important it is to try things out (guitar, amp, pedals, strings, you name it) and see how it feels to them, not for anyone else.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Roc8995

This is dumb. You guys sure can turn a simple question into a ridiculous argument.

Stock strings are the ones it came with, which are .10s. Best is subjective but 'stock' isn't. Come on.

His question was whether he could put .14s on. To answer the question - yes, but you'd almost certainly have to re-slot the nut. They make lighter gauge flatwounds, though. You could probably do 12s with the stock nut. Truss rod and intonation would still need adjustment.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
This is dumb. You guys sure can turn a simple question into a ridiculous argument.

Stock strings are the ones it came with, which are .10s. Best is subjective but 'stock' isn't. Come on.

His question was whether he could put .14s on. To answer the question - yes, but you'd almost certainly have to re-slot the nut. They make lighter gauge flatwounds, though. You could probably do 12s with the stock nut. Truss rod and intonation would still need adjustment.

That simple question had already been answered, and arguements are a part of life. We're not shouting/insulting/harassing each other, so I don't see how this is all somehow "dumb".
We were still kinda on topic as well, since it's about how easy/hard it'll be for him to play if he goes on with his idea.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Roc8995

It's dumb because the question wasn't answered before people started fighting about whether there's such a thing as stock string gauge and several other unrelated arguments that don't help this guy figure out whether he can use 14s or not.

The simple question wasn't answered. Not even a little bit. He asked what the stock gauge was and whether he could drop 14s in without slotting the nut. I don't see an answer to either of those questions in the first dozen posts. All I see are non-answers (if it doesn't fit you'll have to slot the nut) and then responses to those non-answers (use whatever gauge you want/no such thing as stock/practice more etc.)

Guitbuilder had the only actual helpful response in there and it got immediately picked apart and turned into something it wasn't. The guy wants help figuring out if he can restring a certain way and you're off arguing about whether you should practice more or get strings that you like, as if that were a rational thing to argue about.

Rate This Thread: