Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #21
ccannon1
Band Geek

For $400 you're not going to get a very desirable setup. My recommendation would be to get a Fender combo (Hot Rod Deluxes tend to go for around $400-500 used iirc) and they're plenty loud, I've used one to play with a big band.

EDIT: not to try to dissuade you from purchasing a stack, but I had a Marshall 1960 cab for a while and it was a pain in the butt to move to and from gigs. I ended up just selling it and getting a combo.

Last edited by ccannon1 : 01-28-2013 at 01:08 AM.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

With that sort of money you'll be hard pushed to find a stack that will be any good. A Peavey Vyper Tube 60 is the amp for you. It will easily get over any drummer you may be playing next to. Any louder than that and the drums have to be miked and then so will you.
Get an amp stand for it or at least stick it on a milk crate and you'll be sweet.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
A stack won't make you louder bud, common misconception though, so don't sweat it. The only thing that will make you louder is a louder amp, another reason the peavey vypyr tube 60 combo will be good for you, they can get very loud, but also sound great at low volumes.

This isn't really true... arbitrarily yes, but the sheer sound dispersal of a 4x12 is really a large factor that should be considered. No, the half stack won't technically be "louder", but it'll cut through in a mix a hell of a lot better, which can basically be synonymous with being "louder".
Also, while admittedly I've never played a 60 combo, my 120H is extremely quiet compared to my JSX. Like, my JSX on 2 obliterates my 120H on 8.

TS: The 1960 would work well with the Vypyr Tube.

Also I just remembered, the Line 6 Spider Valve 412s are also hidden gems that tend to go for very cheap, and they very widely considered to be far superior for metal than the 1960. (The SV has V30s, which are the industry standard for metal, while the 1960 has G12T-75s, which are better for low/mid gain rock stuff. This is very general, but hopefully conveys the idea. And of course you can form your own opinions, but I'm just letting you know of the mass opinion).

EDIT: Here's some links for you to look at, get an idea of what we're talking about.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...242-i2954558.gc - Vypyr Tube 60

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...500-i2873709.gc - Marshall 1960

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...312-i2925373.gc - Line 6 SV 412

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...501-i2938111.gc - Peavey XXX 112 (this is the successor to the Ultra Plus)

I don't see any Ultras or 5150s up right now, but check back every couple days - the used gear is updated from around the country, so the stock can change quite a bit.

Also on the subject of GC used - they're (I hope) in the process of moving gear from the "Used Gear" tab into the general search lot. The selection can vary quite a bit depending on if you just search something and click on "Used" on the left side menu, or if you go to the "Used Gear" tab on top and search in there. Do both - these are all from the general search. I vastly prefer searching that way because you can add items to your cart normally and check out normally - if you find something in the "Used Gear" section, you have to call the store that has it and order it over the phone. But just keep in mind to check both.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 01-28-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Stick a combo up in the air a bit and it goes a long way to catching up with a halfstack. It's when they are just sitting on the ground blasting air past your knees that you get into trouble. And this coming from a guy that used to gig with a 6x12. If a Vyper Tube on a proper angled amp stand isn't loud enough for you then something else is seriously wrong.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #25
Nervouspace

See, like I said before I hardly know anything about amps. My friend had a stack and it was way
Louder than my current Crate combo amp. I need to check the watts but its in my trunk
Of my car right now. For some reason I always get in situations when I jam with others
Where I just can't match the drummer or other guitarist volume wise. Thanks for that post
Tomorrow I will check my amp watts. What watt range is considered "too quiet" "ideal" and
"Unnecessary"? Either way I am going to need to invest in a new amp probably or try to
figure out why mine is so quiet =( it screeches at high gains or turning up master volume
So I can't use any of my pedals with it too
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Wattage has almost no relevant correlation to volume. That's an extremely common misconception. All wattage is is a measure of clean headroom - how loud your amp can get before it starts to break up.

Like Cathbard said, try propping your amp up on a chair or something. If you've been using it on the floor, that really goes a long way toward you not being heard.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #27
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervouspace
See, like I said before I hardly know anything about amps. My friend had a stack and it was way
Louder than my current Crate combo amp. I need to check the watts but its in my trunk
Of my car right now. For some reason I always get in situations when I jam with others
Where I just can't match the drummer or other guitarist volume wise. Thanks for that post
Tomorrow I will check my amp watts. What watt range is considered "too quiet" "ideal" and
"Unnecessary"? Either way I am going to need to invest in a new amp probably or try to
figure out why mine is so quiet =( it screeches at high gains or turning up master volume
So I can't use any of my pedals with it too

learn, we all did at some point. do some reading on the forums on here, listen to youtube videos of amps you like or pedals you like. all i can say is don't trust reviews unless they are well balanced and critical of both positive and negative. personally i would ask on here before buying, collectively we are probably better than reviews.

wattage really doesn't matter a ton, as a 100 watt amp is twice as loud as a 10 watt. if you get a tube amp in the range of 50-100 watts, you won't have a problem. i have one of my amps running at 50, and broke 100 decibels for a minute or two and i had some room to go. that is stupid loud, and too loud for most everywhere. but a volume knob does exist for a reason, turn it down and you will be fine.

tube amp wattage in some way or another (somebody clarify please) much louder than solid state, watt per watt.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #28
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
learn, we all did at some point. do some reading on the forums on here, listen to youtube videos of amps you like or pedals you like. all i can say is don't trust reviews unless they are well balanced and critical of both positive and negative. personally i would ask on here before buying, collectively we are probably better than reviews.

wattage really doesn't matter a ton, as a 100 watt amp is twice as loud as a 10 watt. if you get a tube amp in the range of 50-100 watts, you won't have a problem. i have one of my amps running at 50, and broke 100 decibels for a minute or two and i had some room to go. that is stupid loud, and too loud for most everywhere. but a volume knob does exist for a reason, turn it down and you will be fine.

tube amp wattage in some way or another (somebody clarify please) much louder than solid state, watt per watt.

They measure the wattage differently. Also SS amps go into amp clipping when they are turned to loud- its not musical.

Tube amps distort in the power section. this is very musical.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
This isn't really true... arbitrarily yes, but the sheer sound dispersal of a 4x12 is really a large factor that should be considered. No, the half stack won't technically be "louder", but it'll cut through in a mix a hell of a lot better, which can basically be synonymous with being "louder".
Also, while admittedly I've never played a 60 combo, my 120H is extremely quiet compared to my JSX. Like, my JSX on 2 obliterates my 120H .

Yeah man, I know, but I was more trying to make a point that you can't just add a 412 to a quiet amp and expect it to gain monstrous output, there is a difference, but not enough to make a low volume practice amp into a gigging amp. I know you just wanted to more thoroughly explain though, nothing wrong with that

I am surprised the vypyr is so quiet, it has the power amp out of the 6505 combo doesn't it? That thing is loud, I figured the vypyr would be comparably so

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #30
ch1ng_chung

I recommend you not get ANY LINE6 Spider, as they have the worst tones of all "high-end" amps. Maybe a Peavey Classic 30 or a Vox AC-15VR, or a Orange Tiny Terror. But those are all low-wattage amps, they may not be loud enough for your like.

In that case, I have a sweet Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack (one 4x12 speaker enclosure instead of two) that I'm selling for $500, but I guess I could drop it to $410 for you. It's 100 watts and loud enough for a 900 person stadium on the "4" volume setting. You can drop it below bedroom levels at "1", and there's no volume spike.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
I recommend you not get ANY LINE6 Spider, as they have the worst tones of all "high-end" amps. Maybe a Peavey Classic 30 or a Vox AC-15VR, or a Orange Tiny Terror. But those are all low-wattage amps, they may not be loud enough for your like.

In that case, I have a sweet Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack (one 4x12 speaker enclosure instead of two) that I'm selling for $500, but I guess I could drop it to $410 for you. It's 100 watts and loud enough for a 900 person stadium on the "4" volume setting. You can drop it below bedroom levels at "1", and there's no volume spike.

Hahahahahaha.

**** off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Yeah the AC15-vr is a pretty bad amp, deff not a band amp, home practice it would be fine.

Keep your POS MG to yourself
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:

I'll give you two turds and my absolute disgust for it.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
Nervouspace

But why do you think my amp screeches at high volumes? Especially with pedals?

I'm using a telecaster with Duncan hot rails in the bridge. I stand plenty far away from
The amp
Nervouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
I'll give you two turds and my absolute disgust for it.

You should really try it out, it's a great amp
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #36
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:

FFS just stop already, I was auditioning for a talent show today and a guy showed up with that exact amp, playeed and sounded like ass and got no applause, I was on after him and with my 60 Watt 2x12 COMBO on 1.5 I filled up a 700 seat auditorium un-miced, sounded great and made a big splash. Granted the stage put me at about head level to everyone, and the acoustics in that place are beyond. amazing

Moral of the story? 60 watts is good for most things, combos are good if you don't mind lugging the damned things around, and MG's are crappy.

Last edited by Viban : 01-29-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1583676
You asshole. That's not even cool.
"But I don't want my MG!!"
Then ****ing burn it, don't make a shameless plug to some guy who is clueless about amps (no offense man, I've met some great players who don't know shit about gear).
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #38
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
You think that there is any guitarist on the planet that hasn't? Seriously,
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #39
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:

Cut the Bullshit broski, there is probably a handful of guitarists on the planet that haven't played one, but I ain't one of them.

I know you know that it is shitty, and you try to pawn it off on someone who doesn't know better? Pitiful.

You can drop your integrity off on your way out, later.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #40
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
You can drop your integrity off on your way out, later.

This. So much this.

Rate This Thread: