Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
CrazyAce#7

I need help with suggestions.

I'd really love to get a big multi-effects pedal that is very versatile. I just don't exactly know what exactly to look for and is dependable. I'm willing to spend $200-$500. Just tell me what to look for and I'll further look into them.
CrazyAce#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAce#7
I'd really love to get a big multi-effects pedal that is very versatile. I just don't exactly know what exactly to look for and is dependable. I'm willing to spend $200-$500. Just tell me what to look for and I'll further look into them.

almost all multi-effects are going to come with similar features:

-delay/reverb
-modulation (chorus, phase, etc)
-pitch shifting
-distortion effects

within those effects there will be different 'flavors' among brands. for example one of the boss multieffects had a DS-1 as one of it's distortion circuits. digitech might simulate one of their's, etc. so there is a certain 'flavor' difference between different companies

there are also certain features that are most likely included (but not all multi effects have):

-amp emulation
-cab emulation

some multi effects are just designed to be used as a pedal before the amp, some are designed to be able to plug directly into a recording device.

the above options are actually pretty standard options, most multi effects will have everything above. the next difference seems to be routing

-effects loops
-defeatable amp emulation
-usb interface

these options deal more with how you control your signal. a simple multi effects allows you to plug into your amp. some multi effects will even be run through an effects loop (like if you just wanna use it for delays, reverbs and modulation for example). more advanced/newer MFX units will allow for you to put some effects before the amp and some in the effects loops... or they may let you bypass the entire preamp of your amp altogether and let you use amp emulation.

usb interfaces allow you to record direct to your computer, some people really want that for their MFX unit.

so these are the types of options available. most people kinda breeze through the first two sets of options cuz while there are different flavors of effects that is usually not the biggest concern (in the mid range 200 to 500 market anyway). most people dwell on the last set of options because that will dictate how you use the MFX unit.

so, do you already have a good amp? do you want to use the amp's tone or do you want to use a MFX's emulation? or do you want to option to run both? do you want to be able to record directly out the MFX? these are the questions you need to ask yourself.

the digitech rp1000 and line 6 HD500 are good places to start looking.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: