Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
QOTSA40
Canadian Drinking Team

amateur hour question

Hey all,

So I apologize in advance if this is a real basic question, but I've never been one to tinker much with pedals, until recently. I now question why I've waited so long hah

Anyways, my question is basically what type of pedal would work for what I'm going for?

I tend to play a lot in drop D tuning, and tend to rely on the top strings to put down a good rhythm, and it sounds awesome when it comes through the amp. When I try and play any any of the higher notes on the G/B/E strings, they really don't come through as well because of the deeper notes overpowering them.

I spose this could be an amp/setting question too, but would a compressor pedal work in this situation? Ideally, I'd like for all 6 strings to ring through evenly, and was told a while back that a compressor pedal would do the trick. Is that the case?

If it matters, I play an ESP EC1000 through a peavey valveking 112. Current pedals I've got a metalzone (i know..i know..), fulltone OCD, Boss Delay, and a wah pedal. Typically play heavier rock with a blues twist.

If anyone's got any suggestions for pedals that would do the trick too, I'm all for it!

Thanks!
QOTSA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
AcidParadox

I think an easier solution would be to adjust your pickups, so they're slanted slightly higher toward the treble strings. I don't know if you've tried that already. Just grab a screwdriver and keep on moving them until you get the sound you'd like. Just make sure you don't have the bass side of the pickup too low, or the entire pickup too high to the strings. That can make things muddy, perhaps even, but muddy.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

A compressor, if anything, is more likely to muddy things further.

Get an EQ pedal, joyo make a cheap one that is pretty good.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOTSA40
I tend to play a lot in drop D tuning, and tend to rely on the top strings to put down a good rhythm, and it sounds awesome when it comes through the amp. When I try and play any any of the higher notes on the G/B/E strings, they really don't come through as well because of the deeper notes overpowering them.

i would say the source of this problem most likely stems from equipment you are using. the guitar's pups, the amp, the speakers... there is no real telling (from my pov) what might actually be causing your problem.

if i were in your shoes i would methodically try different equipment (from a guitar shop or from friends, whatever) until i isolated the problem and then upgrade the gear.

Quote:
I spose this could be an amp/setting question too, but would a compressor pedal work in this situation? Ideally, I'd like for all 6 strings to ring through evenly, and was told a while back that a compressor pedal would do the trick. Is that the case?

any solution will be a 'band-aid' solution. you are trying to cover up an attribute of your tone you don't like. while band-aid solutions are generally quicker, cheaper and fairly effective you can also run into situations where no band-aid will help. just keep that in mind

i would not run a compressor to make frequencies sound more even. at the very least i would go to a guitar center or something and try out a compressor pedal to see if it does what you want before you buy one.

if i were trying to accentuate my high end more then i'd get an EQ, treble boost or possibly even a OD pedal to run before the amp.

Quote:
If it matters, I play an ESP EC1000 through a peavey valveking 112. Current pedals I've got a metalzone (i know..i know..), fulltone OCD, Boss Delay, and a wah pedal. Typically play heavier rock with a blues twist.

If anyone's got any suggestions for pedals that would do the trick too, I'm all for it!

Thanks!

try running your amp fairly dirty and running that OCD in the front on a lower gain setting, then tweak the parameters to your liking. you may be able to recoup your high end with the OCD's tone knob

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 01-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
QOTSA40
Canadian Drinking Team

wow, thanks a lot for the feedback all, i'll definitely give them a shot tonight!
QOTSA40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: