Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
cbeech12

Copper shielding

Hey I copepr shielded my guitar using tape but I don't think I did it properly because I didn't fully understand the process. Are you supposed to insulate the pots and jack from touching the copper shielding or does it not matter? and I have heard about people soldering the pieces of tape together. Why? Also if I copper shield the inside of my guitar do I need shielded guitar wire to rewire my guitar, because I can not find 22awg shielded wire on ebay Uk anywhere, which is where I would have liked to have bought it.
cbeech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Roc8995

Copper tape itself does nothing. The idea is to make a faraday cage, which of course doesn't work if you don't ground the cage or the copper isn't electrically connected everywhere - hence the solder. So you have to connect all the copper to itself and then ground it, usually to the volume pot housing.

I like using shielded wire for everything, because why not? Especially if you've got a LP style where the pickup selector is way across the guitar. But if you can't find any then unshielded will be fine.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
cbeech12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Copper tape itself does nothing. The idea is to make a faraday cage, which of course doesn't work if you don't ground the cage or the copper isn't electrically connected everywhere - hence the solder. So you have to connect all the copper to itself and then ground it, usually to the volume pot housing.

I like using shielded wire for everything, because why not? Especially if you've got a LP style where the pickup selector is way across the guitar. But if you can't find any then unshielded will be fine.

Cheers for your help! It was really useful! Oh btw, I am getting copper shielding tape that has a conductive adhesive so I don't need to solder each piece of copper together
cbeech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
earthwormjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeech12
Cheers for your help! It was really useful! Oh btw, I am getting copper shielding tape that has a conductive adhesive so I don't need to solder each piece of copper together

Check continuity with a multimeter to verify that the adhesive is really working. I would solder it anyway. Adhesive deteriorates with age, solder never does (provided it isn't moved).
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
bobafettacheese

I would check stewmac for the tape and the wire. They have both and at fair prices. Not sure about their shipping rates to the UK, so if this doesn't help sorry. I am in the process of doing the same thing.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: