Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
bklixuz

tilting your 212 cab?

i have a genz benz g-flex and used it with an amp standback ever since..
a week ago when we where having a jam session i didnt use the standback and was getting really great bass response rather than tilting the cab (with a standback) i can only hear harsh highs and muddy bass response.. i was convince before that the amp standback will maintain your low end but does this also applies to lets say metal type tones, riffing, etc..? problem is when the cab sits flat on the floor and on low volumes even 15 to 20 meters away it still sounds huge and pissing off a lot of neighbors so my option was to tilt it but thats the problem the muddy bass response..
anyone also have the same experience with tilting their cabs with the kind of music im playing?
bklixuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

It's probably resonating the floor
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Have you conidered that your EQ might not be where it should be for what you want? See, when the cab is pointing at your head, you're hearing thigs as the audience would hear them, but when it's flat on the ground, most of the sound is blowing past your legs. The reason the highs seem harsh when it's on the stand is because of treble beaming. The key there is to turn your treble/presence down.

In addition, the floor could also be part ofthe equation, like R45VT said.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Viban
UG's resident bum

Like BLKtiger said, what you hear when it's on the stand is what your audience hears. My advice to you is to adjust your Eq until you like what you hear, personally I sit in front of my 2x12 and put it on about 6 inches of spacers so that I'm at about eye level with the knobs and adjust until I think I'm getting what I want.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
bklixuz

yes i have been messing with the EQ a lot ever since when the cab was tilted.. but when its flat on the floor it sounds tight and punchy unlike tilted. today i placed it above my bass amp (flat) where the cab is facing just infront of my head when im seated and it sounds the same when its flat on the floor. punchy and quick on the bass response. im happy now and ill keep it this way

Last edited by bklixuz : 02-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Phil Starr

This is why sound engineers fall out with guitarists This is a very simple bit of physics which you need to know about and can't avoid.

Guitar speakers are very directional. once the wavelength of the sound your speaker is radiating is shorter than the diameter of your speaker the sound is radiated in an increasingly narrow beam. For a 12" speaker the cut off is 360Hz. This means you can hear the warm bass from anywhere in the room as it is radiated as a sphere but you can only hear the harsh stuff if you point the speakers at your ears. You may be hearing a nice sound with the speaker on the floor but you can only hear that sound by standing in that one spot. No-one else can hear the sound you want them to. Think of your speaker as being like a car headlamp, you need to stand in the beam to get the full effect, sitting on the cars bonnet won't tell you what it looks like out there.

Adding a second speaker makes it worse in most guitar cabs as it makes the sound source wider. The best way round this is to make sure the second speaker is in a vertical line above the first. If you can, try your speaker on the floor on its side to see if this improves things, if you can you could also try your amp as a 'kickback' by propping it in that position temporarily. That way you should hear the sound everyone else does but still get a bit of bass reinforcement off the floor. Please don't do the lazy guitarist thing of just leaving it on the floor and thinking everyone else hears what you hear.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
bklixuz

thanks phil starr. as i have stated above i had the cab tilted ever since i got it (2 years ago) and no matter what i do with the eq's, presence and resonance the bass response still sounds muddy. so i was not being lazy. and where the cab now is sitting is above my other amp which is sitting in front of my face when im seated (which usually is when im playing my guitar) and i am now happy the way it sounds..
i should have mentioned that im using it only for home use.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

I put my rig on a shelf type deal we had installed. It really doesnt make to much difference whether on floor or suspended. But i always tilt amp to hear what the crowd hears for my live rig and then return it to the floor for devastation. You do whatever floats your boat man. If it sounds good to you than shred that shiz!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
Phil Starr

Hey, I didn't mean to upset anyone, just trying to explain why it sounded better in your jam session. If it's at ear level that's good.

The difference may also be the room. Bass in particular is going to be very affected by nearby walls floors and ceilings and can never sound totally great in small rooms, jamming in a bigger room will sound totally different and can often clean up your sound unless it is very echo prone.

Its often worth moving the amp around in a room to find the sweetest spot for the sound you want.

Hope you find the sound you want.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Starr
This is why sound engineers fall out with guitarists

understatement of the year.

great post, but i don't think he is going to try a vertical arrangement.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: