Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #41
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

If you're in a band for a some years everyone their part in the band is sort of settled, and respect and see the advantages of it. If your bass player is the guy never says anything and just plays don't put him a leadership-position and take the few things he finds so important that he says them seriously.

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqq
That's funny how some cool metal bands actually had good breakdowns in their songs (I noticed them in Metallica, Nightwish songs), and they were not just lame open string w**king in Drop C as modern -core bands play.

Well, you see, you used to have to have this weird thing called "talent" to be a successful metal band. My dad told me about it. Geez old people and their "talent"

And 'tallica and such are grandfathered in, so from now on my rule stands. All the good breakdowns have already been used, such as "EEE EEE EEE EEE", "DDD DDD DDD DDD", and today the ever poopular "CCC CCC CCC widdley woodley CCC CCC CCC"

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 01-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Don't move in together. It can be great for a while, jammin all the time, but eventually you break up.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #44
willT08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
Well, you see, you used to have to have this weird thing called "talent" to be a successful metal band. My dad told me about it. Geez old people and their "talent"

And 'tallica and such are grandfathered in, so from now on my rule stands. All the good breakdowns have already been used, such as "EEE EEE EEE EEE", "DDD DDD DDD DDD", and today the ever poopular "CCC CCC CCC widdley woodley CCC CCC CCC"

What the hell is this?
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #45
McTodd
This is a wug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
Don't move in together. It can be great for a while, jammin all the time, but eventually you break up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbullet
Big one, obvious one:

Dont fuck or try to fuck your band members.

I am in a band with my girlfriend, who I live with. It is excellent.

Come at me, bor
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #46
willT08
Banned

That'll be really fun when you break up/your band breaks up
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #47
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Yeah, I think "Don't be in a band with your friends" is really about making sure you're in a band with someone because of their music, not just because you're friends.

Show up to rehearsal. Thats an important one, haha. And actually be willing to play once you get there.

Get a job so you can actually afford gear. Thats important so no 1 person is buying everything, and if you all have cheap gear, you aren't going to sound good.

Lose the ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #48
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
What the hell is this?

bit o sarcasm/joking m8.

But still, bands need to learn to use breakdowns sparingly, it's like suicide in metal songwriting, as in it's the easy way out.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 01-27-2013 at 11:30 AM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #49
Burgery
scatterbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
Main rule of being in a band: Don't be a cunt.

this

this rarely happens tho
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
donender
Get back to work

-Don't name your band (your name) and friends, or anything like that. Unless you are amazingly talented or famous, you will sound like a douche.

-Be reliable for practices and shows. There's nothing more annoying than someone telling you that a show has been cancelled at the last minute for some bullshit reason.

-Be good with communication. If someone texts or messages you about something important, don't leave them hanging.

-Don't try to micromanage everything, because eventually, your band will get tired of you bossing them around.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
McTodd
This is a wug

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
That'll be really fun when you break up/your band breaks up

"Oh shit, better not do anything ever, it might not work out"

Nah srsly, I appreciate it's not for everyone, but it's been working pretty great for us for years.

OT: Treat everyone you meet with respect. It just makes everyone's life easier and more enjoyable when people say "Oh yeah, [insert band name], they're a bunch of really great guys". You get a twatty reputation if you turn up to a gig and e.g. slag off the sound guy when you can't hear yourself.

Last edited by McTodd : 01-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.
McTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #52
JustPhil
Not beautiful

Rules of the band I'm in. I've broke one of them so far:

-No interband sex.
-Don't bring AIDS into the band.
-Don't fart on the producers chair.
-Don't sleep with the lady who works with the label.

We keep adding more as and when necessary.
JustPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
If you're a metal band dont say your song titles in a metal voice before every song. Nobody likes metal because its evil these days.

If you are touring with between the buried and me, be good. Sorry job for a cowboy and coheed but iv got my jazz ears on, your music is boring.

These 2 statements are incredibly pretentious and show ignorance.

Edit:
Quote:
by jazz ears i mean tuning your ears to listen to everything individually. you cant listen to all musci like that, otherwise yourl shoot yourself out of boredom. btbam lets me listen to any one instrument and be satisfied. i rarely listen to the whole band at once. but when i listen to lets say rhcp i listen to the whole band, unless im hooked on frusciantes guitar. i cant listen to chad smiths drumming and nothing else, or anthony's vocals alone. but with jazz and good prog metal i can just listen to blake richardson drumming and nothing else all colors long and be satisfied. its not that the musicians are any better its the way its written. or maybe im weird. when i listen to jazz i separate all the instruments in my head. when i lsiten to pop or rock i combine them all. i would get bored listening to coheeds vocals or drumming or bass alone.

And you just got even more pretentious...

OT:
Don't become a "rock star" before you actually are one (meaning before millions enjoy your music). No one likes it when you act all superior and such. Remain humble and down to earth, and more people will like you (as a person and a band).

Edit2:
Don't criticize other bands while out in the crowd (before or after the gig). No one wants to hear how you think Coheed suck because (insert reason here). You especially better not criticize the bands who are also playing that same night. Just keep your damn mouth shut and play your music already. No one likes an "Yngwie"*.

*If you don't get it, remember that Yngwie Malmsteen regularly bashed other guitar players back in the day.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-27-2013 at 12:58 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #54
bondmorkret

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
These 2 statements are incredibly pretentious and show ignorance.

OT:
Don't become a "rock star" before you actually are one (meaning before millions enjoy your music). No one likes it when you act all superior and such. Remain humble and down to earth, and more people will like you (as a person and a band).

Well said!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #55
Ssargentslayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
by jazz ears i mean tuning your ears to listen to everything individually. you cant listen to all musci like that, otherwise yourl shoot yourself out of boredom. btbam lets me listen to any one instrument and be satisfied. i rarely listen to the whole band at once. but when i listen to lets say rhcp i listen to the whole band, unless im hooked on frusciantes guitar. i cant listen to chad smiths drumming and nothing else, or anthony's vocals alone. but with jazz and good prog metal i can just listen to blake richardson drumming and nothing else all colors long and be satisfied. its not that the musicians are any better its the way its written. or maybe im weird. when i listen to jazz i separate all the instruments in my head. when i lsiten to pop or rock i combine them all. i would get bored listening to coheeds vocals or drumming or bass alone.

+3.1415926535898

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I basically slap my dick on my girlfriend's stomach until I get off.
brot pls
Minecraft: Bunnies4Breakfst
Xbox: Bunies4Breakfst
Ssargentslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #56
Hereiwas
"Alex"

what even is a breakdown? like, is it a noise section? there should be more of those.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #57
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereiwas
what even is a breakdown? like, is it a noise section? there should be more of those.

This is a good example of breakdowns.

Here how they're basically a simplistic rhythm section? Yeah, apparently, they're "br00tal", man. I don't mind the idea of breakdowns, but a lot of Metalcore*/whatever-core bands just go way overboard with them.

*Not to be confused with Metallic Hardcore, which is actually what true Metalcore is.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #58
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTodd
"Oh shit, better not do anything ever, it might not work out"

Nah srsly, I appreciate it's not for everyone, but it's been working pretty great for us for years.

your band is my favourite thing on bandcamp.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #59
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Don't form a prog metal band. You'll never find members who can play it, or anything aside from 4/4 for that matter. I know from experience.

And don't form a metalcore band, because then you'll just sound like a douchebag no matter what you do.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #60
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

No drinks (we had booze) by the studio amps...

"We broke that rule, well, I didn't, but this guy did; one of us footed the repair bill, I paid for the room." -- It was nuts.

It looked like we got high/drunk and trashed the place.
They gave us the bill but didn't ban us, that was very cool, also, there were people who we hung out with and stuff, like, girls with booze... On top of the pool table there in the lobby with this fit girl; I should have made out with her drunk horny ass laying on top of me but, I was also playing manager as well. LMAO.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 01-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: