Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #61
Hereiwas
"Alex"

wat.

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #62
McTodd
This is a wug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereiwas
your band is my favourite thing on bandcamp.

If sarcastic, s'ok bro, s'all fun.

If not sarcastic, thank you, I'm very flattered, but there is much better stuff.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #63
Tsar66
untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Don't form a prog metal band. You'll never find members who can play it, or anything aside from 4/4 for that matter. I know from experience.

And don't form a metalcore band, because then you'll just sound like a douchebag no matter what you do.

or just don't form a metal band at all
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #64
theponz

Blasphemy! What would UG ever do with their lives?

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
theponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #65
byob_soad2
Happy birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTodd
If sarcastic, s'ok bro, s'all fun.

If not sarcastic, thank you, I'm very flattered, but there is much better stuff.

there's certainly no better album art anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignite
It'd be awesome if everyone sent death threats in the mail to my parents.
Weird, but awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsean
I secretly fart during intercourse. Am I cheating?
byob_soad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #66
Tag43
for the lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Don't allow inferior composers to change your piece, even if they are your band mates

Although this too So much this should be taken into consideration.
Tag43 just won, everyone else stop trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
You sir are filled with win.

Listen to my band's music. We're good, I promise.

One trick pony in a one horse town.
Tag43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #67
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar66
or just don't form a metal band at all

Go screw yourself in a particularly painful way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Don't form a prog metal band. You'll never find members who can play it, or anything aside from 4/4 for that matter. I know from experience.

This is why you form a solo prog metal project, to start off. Then, you record some basic songs and get some people to join you, if they can play at your level of skill and composition.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-27-2013 at 04:45 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #68
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

dat post/view ratio

Try your best to start off with originals. It will give your band a headstart on what you guys are going to sound like.

UG user JustRooster had an article about that topic a bit back. Great article.

EDIT: A metal band is actually very fun to play in. Just try to be different from everybody else (while staying in the metal genre) and you'll have a good time.
and a bunch of other things

Last edited by yoman297 : 01-27-2013 at 05:19 PM.
yoman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #69
willT08
Official Classist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
This is why you form a solo prog metal project, to start off. Then, you record some basic songs and get some people to join you, if they can play at your level of skill and composition.

This is why the notion of bands as anything more than a tool for live performance is useless. You can do it all by yourself if you have a computer, $50 and some time.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #70
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
This is why the notion of bands as anything more than a tool for live performance is useless. You can do it all by yourself if you have a computer, $50 and some time.

I wouldn't call it useless. They get to have fun on stage along with the leader and they maybe get to write some stuff too. They also get paid the same as the leader unless he's an asshole and wants more of the share.
and a bunch of other things
yoman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #71
chea_man
no more record deal

i have been playing out and semi professionaly for quite sometime now, so ill add some of the things that i have learned over my few years of experience.

first, know your role. as, if you are just hired to play guitar in the band, then play your parts, and play them well. dont offer unsolicited advice about arrangements and songwriting unless they are asked for, or you risk losing the job.

second, practice on your own damn time. when your with the band in the practice space, its time to rehearse. let me explain the difference; on your own time, work out your own parts. thats practicing. when everyone knows their parts, the band rehearsal goes much smoother. obviously there are exceptions, like when you are working on a brand new song.

if you have something bad to say about another band, make sure your in private. dont openly trash a band your playing with, you never know who will hear you. thats rude, unproffessional, and lets be honest, we have all sucked before.

no drugs or drinking during rehearsal. i am what that thinks it can be ok to have a few drinks during a show, but never ever get drunk. it is a job after all, and despite what you think, i can assure you that your playing is better when you are sober.

be in tune, and keep your gear in good working order.

after a show, promptly get your own stuff put away, and then help the drummer if he needs it. but dont socialize too much while your band mates take care of your stuff.

be respectful of the club owners and their property. beleive, i know alot of them are assholes and treat us musicians like shit, but you wont be helping anything if you are a dick back to them.

respect the sound guys wishes. i love being loud as much as the next guy, but if the sound guy tells you turn down, do it. if not, he may just purposefully ruin the bands sound.

know how to blend. dont be so much louder than the rest the band that they cant be heard. but dont be afriad to be louder for solos.

when someone gives you a compliment after the show, accept it gracefully. also, if someone insults your band, brush it off gracefully.

be very careful with your finances. dont pay for everything for the band, and dont take advantage of others in the band that are willing to finance things for the band. work out ahead of time how to split up gig money. if one person is driving everyone, give them more. if one person is paying for recording, PA, whatever, pay that person back with gig money. work it out ahead of time always.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head, if i think of more ill post. but mostly, just dont be a dick haha. and dont ever forget why you play music, and thats because you love it.
Chea_man is the best.
chea_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #72
eGraham
Green and Submarine

No flares indoors.

Too soon?

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #73
jrcsgtpeppers

What! You know how many metallica songs ride the open e??? Lol. Breakdowns are awesome if you are good. They can't be in 4/4 or 8/8. That's lame.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #74
vacant_pistol
Nose Picker

Have your own equipment, have your transport to practice sorted, have the right attitude to learning songs. Jesus ****, please.

Nevermind.........
vacant_pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #75
ironicallyindie
chill dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPhil
Rules of the band I'm in. I've broke one of them so far:

-No interband sex.
-Don't bring AIDS into the band.
-Don't fart on the producers chair.
-Don't sleep with the lady who works with the label.

We keep adding more as and when necessary.

I guess you broke the one about farting on the producers chair.

Don't be a furry, please.
ironicallyindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #76
Musicforyou17
I get bored

Quote:

In some instances this may be true but, personally I like having other people that have see things from different points of view and not everyone has the time to learn every instrument required for a band. Or wants to for that matter.

I see what your saying though.

Oops..OT: Really just try and think things through. Try to avoid doing things that will end up being counter productive like: screwing bands mates or trashing rooms. Also don't smash instruments unless you have the money to buy a new one. Pretty obvious

Last edited by Musicforyou17 : 01-27-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Musicforyou17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #77
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #78
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Bolded is just the problem. They're nonexistent where I live. They either suck, have giant egos, don't have suitable gear or money, stupid, or lazy.

The ones who are capable of playing my music don't have any time on their hands or are involved too much in their own project.

Quote:
Not really. More people involved = more ideas, plus more influences thrown into the mix to create a more unique sound.

Plus if you suck at drum programming like I do, it's always helpful to have a decent drummer around who knows his shit and can help you make it sound better, even if his playing is not on the actual recording.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #79
Tsar66
untitled

Quote:
Go screw yourself in a particularly painful way...

better than listening to/playing metal
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #80
edmodo23
Banned

Never let your bassist get up to go wank during practice sessions..
edmodo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: