User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #81
OfCourseNot
There's your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmodo23
Never let your bassist get up to go wank during practice sessions..

Is this something you mention out of experience?
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #82
whywefight
pray I pray I pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesForLife
-Don't be shit at your instrument

-Don't be egotistical

-Don't play Asking Alexandria-core

Weird, AA does all three of these things and pull it off just fine

As for breakdowns, I think maybe one an album would work well.

Last edited by whywefight : 01-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #83
edmodo23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfCourseNot
Is this something you mention out of experience?

Unfortunately...
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmodo23
So basically, i'm in a metalcore band, but we arent very good. Our bassist is fat with no stage presence, and he is a dick to everyone, not to mention he sucks at bass and plays a right handed bass even though he's left handed. We want to kick him out but he is our source for free food, so we have decided to keep him. He also gets up to "take a dump" in the middle of practice sessions, but we have recently realized he was lying, after our vocalist walked in on him masturbating in my bathroom.
edmodo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #84
theponz

...Maybe your music was so good it gave him a boner I'd take it as a compliment

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
theponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #85
edmodo23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theponz
...Maybe your music was so good it gave him a boner I'd take it as a compliment

Doubtful. We sucked MAJOR ass.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #86
morallygray
Got them nerves of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTodd
"Oh shit, better not do anything ever, it might not work out"

Nah srsly, I appreciate it's not for everyone, but it's been working pretty great for us for years.

This is how I look at it. The chick singer in my band and I have a kind of dating thing going on. To be fair, neither the band nor the relationship is very serious, but no harm has come of either one yet.

Off topic, I just checked out your stuff on Bandcamp and I really dig it.
morallygray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #87
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
As for breakdowns, I think maybe one an album would work well.

This reminded me of Fuck the fact's Disgorge Mexico: I fucking love that album.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #88
Axelfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Don't form a prog metal band. You'll never find members who can play it, or anything aside from 4/4 for that matter. I know from experience.

And don't form a metalcore band, because then you'll just sound like a douchebag no matter what you do. :

Dude. Avenged Sevenfold,Killswitch Engage,Black Veil Brides?
Axelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #89
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

Rule #1: Be musical
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #90
theponz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox

Lulz

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
theponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #91
edmodo23
Banned

Quote:

Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #92
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

Of those, only KsE is decent. And by decent I mean, I don't turn them off when they come on the radio.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #93
CrazyAce#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chea_man
i have been playing out and semi professionaly for quite sometime now, so ill add some of the things that i have learned over my few years of experience.

first, know your role. as, if you are just hired to play guitar in the band, then play your parts, and play them well. dont offer unsolicited advice about arrangements and songwriting unless they are asked for, or you risk losing the job.

second, practice on your own damn time. when your with the band in the practice space, its time to rehearse. let me explain the difference; on your own time, work out your own parts. thats practicing. when everyone knows their parts, the band rehearsal goes much smoother. obviously there are exceptions, like when you are working on a brand new song.

if you have something bad to say about another band, make sure your in private. dont openly trash a band your playing with, you never know who will hear you. thats rude, unproffessional, and lets be honest, we have all sucked before.

no drugs or drinking during rehearsal. i am what that thinks it can be ok to have a few drinks during a show, but never ever get drunk. it is a job after all, and despite what you think, i can assure you that your playing is better when you are sober.

be in tune, and keep your gear in good working order.

after a show, promptly get your own stuff put away, and then help the drummer if he needs it. but dont socialize too much while your band mates take care of your stuff.

be respectful of the club owners and their property. beleive, i know alot of them are assholes and treat us musicians like shit, but you wont be helping anything if you are a dick back to them.

respect the sound guys wishes. i love being loud as much as the next guy, but if the sound guy tells you turn down, do it. if not, he may just purposefully ruin the bands sound.

know how to blend. dont be so much louder than the rest the band that they cant be heard. but dont be afriad to be louder for solos.

when someone gives you a compliment after the show, accept it gracefully. also, if someone insults your band, brush it off gracefully.

be very careful with your finances. dont pay for everything for the band, and dont take advantage of others in the band that are willing to finance things for the band. work out ahead of time how to split up gig money. if one person is driving everyone, give them more. if one person is paying for recording, PA, whatever, pay that person back with gig money. work it out ahead of time always.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head, if i think of more ill post. but mostly, just dont be a dick haha. and dont ever forget why you play music, and thats because you love it.

Yes, great points here. I've witnessed a lot of this, mostly in one band which is why I can't take them seriously no matter how hard I try. They've gone through many name changes and stuff but it's not making them better. I've offered advice and they wanted my help but idk if I could. I just pity them a little. They are individually talented but don't show that they practice together, they have big rock star egos, and get drunk and high before they go on which might explain their performances. So question is should I help or leave it be?
CrazyAce#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #94
chookiecookie
UG Member

First rule of being in a band

Don't talk about being in a band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Only because cookie hits on literally everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Most guys are like chookie and will **** anything.
chookiecookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #95
PoisonousNipple
Banned

Don't make an album with Lou Reed.
PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #96
Jon777
Assbender

-Be considerate to the other guys in your band. Don't go off on your own wankery while the rest of the band is waiting for you to stop that shit so that everyone can get back to practicing.

-Be open to suggestions. If something you're playing isn't well received by the rest of the dudes, maybe it just doesn't fit the song. Work with your band bros to make shit awesome.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #97
McTodd
This is a wug

Quote:
Originally Posted by morallygray
Off topic, I just checked out your stuff on Bandcamp and I really dig it.

Naww, thanks buddy
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #98
cptcomet
Band

Don't be a dick.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #99
Twist of fate
We Came as Romans

Location: Jersey. If you could live forever, would you be ready for the next Adventure?
Thou shalt not say that bass players are unimportant, for they even out the guitar sound and add another layer to the rhythm section. If they were not important, they would not be part of a band.

Band page! http://www.facebook.com/PedestalsNJ

Tumblr-http://www.one-mandrinkinggamess.tumblr.com
Twist of fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #100
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

1: Shut the fudge up between songs. At a gig there's nothing more annoying than that guy who fidgets on his instrument between songs, or even worse wants to try and show off some of his chops. Nobody wants to hear that shit, and it immediately makes someone look amateur. The only noise you want between songs is the applause and the vocalist introducing the next song. Try and keep time between songs to a minimum (but give the audience time to react). Make sure you can all see a set list and know what's coming next. Having a minute-long pause to discuss what song you're going to play next amongst yourselves between each song is only going to lose the audiences interest. It's bad showmanship and makes you look unprofessional. A similar deal applies during band practice too, especially if you're paying for the space. You'll piss off your band-mates by stretching out the time between songs to show off your newest lick, not only are you wasting everyone's time and money, it's also not conducive to a productive atmosphere.

2: Understand the soundguy. The soundguy is the most important person to you at a gig (aside from your band-mates, perhaps). He has the capacity to make you sound bad, or to make you sound good (if he knows what he's doing). In the sort of venues an unsigned band is likely to find themselves in a good soundguy can be like gold-dust - developing a good relationship with him can only help you. Ultimately you both have the same goal - give the audience a good sounding piece of music, so help him to help you. Don't throw a tantrum if he asks you to turn your amp down on stage, because he's probably correct. And for the love of all things unholy, don't make unnecessary noise or overcomplicate the soundcheck. Not one **** is given by anybody else that you play lead guitar, you don't need to show off with a solo during soundcheck. When he asks for you to play so he can get a level and sort the sound, the best thing you can do is play simple and consistently. Play the same simple two bars over and over until he's happy with what he hears. That's the way to make his job easy. Then shut up while he does the rest of the band.

I did a gig a few months ago where the drummer for the support band during soundcheck tried to show off complex rhythms and how fast he could hit his snare etc when asked for individual drums. It's a nightmare to do the sound when someone does this, what the soundguy needs to do his job best is a simple consistent 2 hits per bar. The same drummer then proceeded, to my astonishment, to basically blast-beat underneath the entire remainder of the soundcheck (bass, guitar, and vocals) making the soundguys job nigh on impossible (and visibly frustrating him). Needless to say, despite him being a fantastic soundguy, they didn't get a great sounding mix, and pissed off the soundguy (who often-times is the guy who hosts the band night and will be responsible for inviting you back). A crap mix and a guarantee that you won't be invited back for another gig, all so that one complete tool can flex his ego during soundcheck... worth it?

3: Know and understand your equipment. Make sure you're in control of and aware of your signal chain. If you run into bother you need to be able to deal with it quickly and effectively. Can't stress enough that you should BRING SPARES. Spare strings, spare batteries, spare cables, whatever has the potential to fail. Your band are going to hate you if you break a string halfway through a gig without spares, and it has to be cut short. Bring equipment appropriate for the gig. If your sound comes from having a valve power amp pushed to breaking point then don't become one of the primadonnas who turns up with a 100 watt Marshall stack and expects to be able to run it up full. In this situation you need no more than 30 watts. The vast majority of your sound front of house is going to be coming through the PA, not your own cab, as that would wreak havoc with the on-stage levels and cause serious feedback problems. Don't neglect the last part of the signal chain, as many people (especially guitarists) tend to do. The SM57 the sound-guy has in his box will work fine, but if you do your research you will quite possibly find a mic that works better for you. Why spend all your time tailoring the perfect tone with your rig, only to neglect the final stage in the chain that is responsible for the vast majority of what the audience actually hears? Entirely counterproductive. Most soundguys will be willing to accommodate if you know what you want... they usually want me to mic my cab or use their DI box, but I prefer to use my own DI... they're usually happy to roll with it, get a great sound out front, and then everyone's happy.

4: Play it cool - serve the music, not your ego. Remember who is the centre of attention on stage. No, it's not you (unless you sing lead as well)... it's the vocalist. That's who the audience will be directing their attention on the majority of the time. Done properly, instrumental and solo sections can be great across all instruments (let the bassist and the drummer have some fun too). Everyone has heard a blistering guitar solo before, if your bassist can play a mean solo the average punter will be doubly-impressed because it's something they've likely not experienced many times before. Allowing different instruments solo sections helps keep variety in the song structure too, when every song has a guitar solo before the last chorus it can get predictable. Whatever you do, don't keep the solo sections too long, the audience will bore quickly if they go too long without hearing vocals. And outside of solo sections, keep it simple and tasteful while the vocalist is doing his thing. The occasional variation or fill is fine but don't over-do it. Continue to keep it cool off-stage. The way you present yourselves to the audience-members, venue-staff, other bands and the soundcrew off-stage is just as important as your music. You're not a rock god, so keep it modest and down to earth, and remain polite (even with drunks or hecklers) and you'll be a lot more popular.

Rate This Thread: