Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Crabman429

Solo acoustic guitar (C4C)

A short piece I wrote a few months back . Recorded with a Yamaha LL6 into a Zoom R8 (I used the built in microphones).

https://soundcloud.com/luke-searle-3/acoustic-song

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1164810

All feedback is much appreciated and will C4C of course

UPDATE: If anyone is interested in downloading this I have uploaded an MP3 in 320 to Soundcloud. The original WAV file is HUGE lol https://soundcloud.com/luke-searle-...ic-song-mp3-320

And she screamed Claudio, dear Claudio
I wish, God damn it, we'll make it if you believe...

Last edited by Crabman429 : 01-25-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Crabman429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Splitvision

I think all parts of the song are nice, especially the intro and the part starting at 1:09. The outro is cool aswell, besides that it didn't really feel like an outro - it would be more fitting as a passage to another section or a repeat of something played earlier rather than the end of a song - it seemed to end a little abruptly. I like the sound of the guitar, well recorded, and well played. Overall I liked it! And thanks for the crit!
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
danyal92

danyal92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
mattmakaha

I love the opening of the piece, that polyrhythmic pattern is cool!! In fact, I played the beginning part over and over to try to figure out your fingerpicking pattern there.

Very pretty music you wrote. And the recording quality is excellent. You said in your first post that you're using a Yamaha LL6 into a Zoom R8 with the built in microphone? Did you mean the Zoom R8 has a built in mic? Really?? That sound is so full and rich, that's hard to believe.... Sounds like you're using a large diaphragm condenser mic to me, but man, if that's a built in mic, that's pretty amazing!!!

Could you visit my thread and leave a comment on my stuff there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584618

Last edited by mattmakaha : 01-25-2013 at 12:26 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Crabman429

Yeah it is just the built in microphones in the Zoom that are used on this. The Zoom is pretty great for the price. Also, thank you

Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Chrisseh
Am male.

This was brilliant. There were some bits that felt a little bit out of time, but by complexity it, it's easily excusable, I'm impressed. The part at 47 seconds kind of sounds like it needs something else though, feels a wee bit lacking.

But overall, actually, so, so good.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
jrcsgtpeppers

thanks for the crit, heres your "BUMP" now with great power comes great music. i cant tell what influence i hear. it sounds like my friends' bands' music a little bit but acousticfied. but the tone is straight but buckethead's acoustic shards, i love the tone. its the right amount of droney darkness and the pick is the light. but im really diggin that ascending lick you play towards the begginning. its like an in your face acoustic pop song. like it.,
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Zerath

Thanks for the review man!

I like the mixed feel of it all - it felt a bit like a mashup of In Flames (the acoustic stuff), some Mid-eastern music and a splash of Biffy clyro as well as Tenacious D. All in all good, no notes felt out of place and the flow of the song was great. The thing I think you could improve on is the timing of it all, as it felt a bit off at times. So try to do it with a metronome How long have you been playing?
Zerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Crabman429

Thanks! Listening through it again the timing is worse than I first thought sounds rushed too... I think I tried with a metronome a while ago but the part at 0:26 threw me off so I just decided to play without a metronome haha. Been playing for about 6 years or so now

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Metal Turtle

Wow man i loved it! If i may ask where can i buy mics like those? I always wanted to record acoustic but didnt know what to use, that was beautiful playing and style was perfect to my ears 10/10 man i liked the mid section the most it really was a great song

Last edited by Metal Turtle : 01-26-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Zerath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman429
Thanks! Listening through it again the timing is worse than I first thought sounds rushed too... I think I tried with a metronome a while ago but the part at 0:26 threw me off so I just decided to play without a metronome haha. Been playing for about 6 years or so now

I guess if there are some odd time signatures in there it is hard to practice to a metronome most recording programs have an inbuilt metronome and you can change it to have different time signatures at different measures
Zerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Crabman429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Turtle
Wow man i loved it! If i may ask where can i buy mics like those? I always wanted to record acoustic but didnt know what to use, that was beautiful playing and style was perfect to my ears 10/10 man i liked the mid section the most it really was a great song

Thanks! I bought the Zoom from GAK which is a UK company. You may be best just googling 'Zoom R8' and find the best deal in shopping . If you already have an interface or multitrack recorder I think you would be better off getting something like a CAD M179 (or 2!). I don't have any experience with them myself but this guy makes them sound great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerath
I guess if there are some odd time signatures in there it is hard to practice to a metronome most recording programs have an inbuilt metronome and you can change it to have different time signatures at different measures

I record into Audacity usually (cannot be bothered learning to use Cubase properly ) and that doesn't have a metronome as far as I am aware . I think that there are changes in tempo too (don't pay attention to this really I just wrote the song haha) which makes it more difficult. Maybe I should record each part seperately to an online metronome or something and then put them together rather than one take? I dunno

Last edited by Crabman429 : 01-27-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
guitartaber93
Jackals Bodyguard

I think the intro could use a little work, to me, and that's just my ear, it almost sounded awkward. I think I understand the feel you were going for, but work on being more precise of when you are going to be hitting on those off beats and stuff. Otherwise I feel this is a nice piece.

Check out my thread that has my bands newest song on youtube?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1585096
guitartaber93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: