Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
voodoochildaro

Bogner ecstasy plexi mode blue channel

hey guys!
I know it may appear a stupid solution, but even if Bogner Ecstasy has an amazing red channel, sometimes I just like to take my head, and go, plus the blue channel in plexi mode has an amazing sound!
I m considering to use just that channel and use few pedals...

usually I just use a morley wha, an evh mxr flanger, and actually a 6 band eq mxr and a boss delay dd3 in the send return (the eq for solos of course).

considering to replace the eq for solos with a carl martin hydra (to get the lead a bit louder) but I would need another booster or dist, for more fat and dist rythm.
the carl martin is cool but its gain is not enough...
I did try the tube screamer but I m not a fan, wondering what kind of pedal would u suggest for a crunch amp sound and get a warm cool dist, for hard rock rhytm?
consider music genre like van halen, motley crue, guns n roses...etc...etc...
thanks for your feedback guys!
voodoochildaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

why'd you not like the tubescreamer? too many mids? too much bass cut? too compressed and smooth?

something more transparent like a timmy or bluesbreaker would probably be worth a look, assuming that's why you didn't like the tubescreamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
voodoochildaro

hi Dave, thanks so much for your feedback, tubescreamer is a great pedal but, exactly, I m lookin for something transparent, ts tend to cut some frequencies, I like the compression, but tend to be a bit smooth than what I need, feels like it change in someway the carachter of the blue amp channel.
I m gonna give a look at your suggested pedal, thanks!

Last edited by voodoochildaro : 01-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no problem

a fair few pedals are based on the bluesbreaker now, you don't necessarily have to find an old marshall version (the new bluesbreaker 2 sold by marshall has a different circuit... how close it sounds, i dunno). cheapest way to get a bluesbreaker clone is probably a mooer blues crab, $44 from china from ******** or wtfaccessories with mooer132 or wtf discount codes, respectively.

danelectro did a cheap clone of the timmy a while back, the version 1 transparent overdrive, but they discontinued it. not sure what the v2 is like, i've only tried the v1 (which are hard to find now, and which often cost a premium now that people know what they are and they've been discontinued... probably handier to just get a proper timmy).

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
voodoochildaro

that's a good info, thank u so much, anyway, considering the quality of the Bogner ecstasy I can consider to spend some money for a pedal, I would sacrifice few bucks if I get "the sound"...
I was reading about fulltone OCD but never had the chance to try it...
what u think about the DOD overdrive? someone suggested that one too..
anyway my fav choice would be just somethig that does not give colour to the sound..
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

good point. bear in mind that dearer pedals aren't necessarily better (a lot of the super expensive "boutique" pedals are clones of cheap pedals, or very lightly modified versions of cheap pedals)... but yeah if you're running a bogner ecstacy then there's probably no need to cheap out as much as a mooer or danelectro, lol.

i'd probably just get the timmy. it's well made and a good price ($130).

i'vbe only tried cheaper clones of the ocd but i think it works better as a standalone overdrive into a clean amp than as a boost.

i haven't tried the dod 250 (i assume that's the one you mean). it has a similar circuit to the mxr distortion + (which i haven't tried either).

Quote:

Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
voodoochildaro

ah yes I agree with you, sometimes many boutique pedals are just clones of cheapest, anyway yes, I don't want my ecsasty to get mad with me lol :P
anyway u got it, the budget would be close to 100/150 (let's talk bout but..we are not so far in $)
I m gonna give a listen to the timmy, still never had the chance to try it..
ahh..damn GAS lol.. if I think about all pedals I did trade n sold.. and bought again..shame on me...
actually I would have give a try to the satchturator, I know it's different from what I m lookin for but I would have give it a try
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ that's the other advantage of those cheaper pedals- sometimes with the boutique pedals there's a big waiting list (even if not, you maybe don't want to pay $200 for something you haven't tried before), and the cheap pedals are a way of letting you try a rough approximation of them now, without being out much money if you don't like them.

but as i said, even the bona fide timmy should be under your budget, and humbucker music (in the USA, but they ship worldwide) gets them into stock around once a month.

and yeah there's no harm in trying everything you can. even if it's completely unsuitable, you haven't lost anything. Worst case scenario, you prove what you already assumed. And there's no harm in that. Best case scenario, you might come across another way of doing what you want that you hadn't thought of before.

Quote:

Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
voodoochildaro

aww yes that's true, cheap pedals are available almost everywhere so at least we can try them.. and eventually easily trade em too

I found some used timmy in a trading website here, oh! btw, I would not be disappointed at all if I would save few bucks!

totally agree with you bout various scenario, yes, that's a great attitude
1st rule, there's no rule! lol

thanks so much for all your feedback, very helpful!

some times ago I had the satchturator, and now I would be pretty curious to hear how does it sounds in that situation..shame on me..never trade pedals, sometimes they would come back asking to be used
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ no problem good luck

Quote:

Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
voodoochildaro

thanks so much I ll let u know!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thanks

Quote:

Rate This Thread: