Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
DeathSuperMario

Moving bridge ?

I Have old guitar body for 24.7" scale neck and new 28.7 baritone neck. Bridge humbucker hole is routed out. I wanna use p94 pickup. I need to make new bigger tail and bridge mounting holes. I wan't to move the birdge only 3mm-1cm that neck would be better in neck pocket. I know that this effects sounding. I don't like only one middel pickup. Can I do it. I think I can. Only problem is how much I can move bridge away form pickup ?

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/reso...nnato/index.htm
http://archive.ampage.org/threads/6...critical-1.html

Last edited by DeathSuperMario : 01-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.
DeathSuperMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

You need to read up on scale lengths and how this will affect the placement of the bridge, it is not arbitrary.

Measure from the nut (neck facing side) of the new neck to the 12th fret. This measurement is the distance the bridge (specifically the saddles on the bridge) needs to be from the 12th fret and will give you your new bridge placement.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
DeathSuperMario

Bridge placement is not the problem. Problem is pickup sounding and position. If I move the bridge too much the neck pickup maybe not sound good and right. I don't want the middel pickup sounding. Bad for distortion and heavy overdrives.
I can move only the neck. Then the fretboard is too much out of neck pocket.

Bridge moving would look something like this
[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/18ErKoZMIAFM-8ofQ1o3Xs*ws81QQEU9sDDBTddWBZCS0YBf6R*ZfTWHERbVj93 5B41yAB11Qcv3A9mZzKYJG2UC6y90uZ4i/Movingbridge.jpg?width=721[/IMG]

Last edited by DeathSuperMario : 01-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

No, bridge placement is the problem. You don't seem to understand: moving the neck closer into the body or away from the body WILL affect the bridge position. If you get this wrong your guitar will NOT intonate and will be useless.

Once you have this sorted out, THEN you can worry about pickup placement. You really are approaching this the wrong way round. You can't let pickup placement govern bridge position. Trust me.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
DeathSuperMario

I know that bridge needs to be in right distance and postition. Thats whay I wanna move it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The point that Wesbanez is getting at is that you don't have a choice in these things; the bridge has to be in a very specific place for the guitar to work and the pickups will simply be wherever they currently are. This will effect the tone, but you can't do anything about that.

Moving the bridge and the pickups will require so much filling and re-routing that it would be quicker to simply get a whole new body that is already routed the way you need it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
DeathSuperMario

I know that from the beginning. Thats way there is extra wood on neck.

I got answer to my question. http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum...s/moving-bridge
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathSuperMario
I know that from the beginning. Thats way there is extra wood on neck.

I got answer to my question. http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum...s/moving-bridge

Buddy you don't make sense. All the guys above gave you great advice. Learn to get your points across.

I don't see where they recommended anything the guys above did not.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
I don't see where they recommended anything the guys above did not.

Yup. All he did was get the same answers but basically answered his own question. Can't help some people
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
RebuildIt

Aw c'mon you guys! Stop worrying if the person has proper english and try to understand the concept. I got it right away, he is worried about dead spots in the tone. Have you not played a guitar with dead spots? This isn't an english class, spelling and grammar do not count. Yeah, efficient elucidation minimizes your mental involvement, but when its missing try not to pounce on a guy about his communication skill.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuildIt
Aw c'mon you guys! Stop worrying if the person has proper english and try to understand the concept. I got it right away, he is worried about dead spots in the tone. Have you not played a guitar with dead spots? This isn't an english class, spelling and grammar do not count. Yeah, efficient elucidation minimizes your mental involvement, but when its missing try not to pounce on a guy about his communication skill.

I don't think grammar was the problem in this thread
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuildIt

Yes, we got that. The point made and one that you obviously missed, was that deadspots/pickup positioning/whatever is something to worry about AFTER bridge positioning.

Rate This Thread: